Free will and (the new) heaven.

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

Neobullseye
Student

Free will and (the new) heaven.

Post #1

Post by Neobullseye »

So, this thing came up in a discussion I had with my brother (I am an atheist, he is a christian). According to the Bible, the fall into sin happened because of mankind abusing free will, correct? And God only gave humans free will in order to allow for true love, seeing as love without free will would be as meaningless as a robot stating it loves its creator, right?

Now, building on from this: If we assume that free will is the true cause of the fall into sin rather than the devil's temptations, and we keep free will in heaven (Either this one or the new one), then what will prevent a second fall? And inversely, if God knows of a way to somehow ensure this will never happen again, then why not simply start with that and prevent all the suffering that happens on this world?

(PS: I'm not exactly sure whether this is big enough for a place in the debate section or not. As such, I've put it here instead.)

YahDough
Under Probation

Re: Free will and (the new) heaven.

Post #11

Post by YahDough »

Neobullseye wrote: So, this thing came up in a discussion I had with my brother (I am an atheist, he is a christian). According to the Bible, the fall into sin happened because of mankind abusing free will, correct? And God only gave humans free will in order to allow for true love, seeing as love without free will would be as meaningless as a robot stating it loves its creator, right?

Now, building on from this: If we assume that free will is the true cause of the fall into sin rather than the devil's temptations, and we keep free will in heaven (Either this one or the new one), then what will prevent a second fall? And inversely, if God knows of a way to somehow ensure this will never happen again, then why not simply start with that and prevent all the suffering that happens on this world?
That's a great question. I'm interested in seeing all the responses.

It is common doctrine that angels fell from heaven. Maybe people will have that option but I hope not.

My guess is we won't know till we get there. The scripture to support this guess is:

1Cor:2:9: But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.