State of Smear

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

MagusYanam
Guru

State of Smear

Post #1

Post by MagusYanam »

Damn, and I thought Timeline was an ugly work of banal pop fiction. Apparently, I hadn't heard the half...

http://www.csicop.org/doubtandabout/crichton/

Normally I don't hang with CSICOP, but this article was by Washington Post contributor Chris Mooney, who is definitely a better judge of bull (and a more intellectually honest writer) than most of CSICOP.

Now, global warming's a bit out of my field (My summer job's in evolutionary biology), but I'm no stranger to the scientific method, as Michael Crichton seems to be. Even those few short passages from State of Fear were enough to make me gag - it's another example of how honest scientists and intellectuals are being reviled by popular culture in general, and the right wing in particular. Should we treat State of Fear like The DaVinci Code was treated by the Catholics, or is there a better response to this kind of bulls--t?

All I know is, Crichton will be the third to go in the revolution, right after Ann Coulter and Bill O'Reilly...
If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe.

- Søren Kierkegaard

My blog