Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

whatsit
Banned
Banned

uploading files

Post #1

Post by whatsit »

maybe the admins here will consider an option to upload files from a users hard drive.

a 1 or 2 megabyte limit would suffice.

all files should be excluded except zipped files, (so they can be scanned for viruses before opening).

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

What would be the purpose? Simply file storage? If so, there are plenty of other places for that.

whatsit
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by whatsit »

otseng wrote: What would be the purpose? Simply file storage? If so, there are plenty of other places for that.
i have a 360 gigabyte drive, with another 500 gigabyte drive i haven't even began using.

it would give the posters here the chance to present saved documents to their discussions.
examples would include scanned newspaper clippings and various webpages a person has accumulated.
as you know, the URL is not saved with the webpage.

the limit of these uploads would be 1 per post, and it can be easily determined if it was simply "file storage".

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

No, I'm not going to support file uploads for individual posts. I don't want to deal with the security risks and maintaining extra files on the server.

whatsit
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by whatsit »

otseng wrote: No, I'm not going to support file uploads for individual posts.
fair enough, but it would make things easier for people to haggle with the "sticklers for the evidence".
instead of copy/pasting passages, you could upload the entire article.
I don't want to deal with the security risks . . .
security was main reason i said all files were to be excluded unless they are zipped.
. . . and maintaining extra files on the server.
maybe you could implement software that auto deletes uploaded files when certain criteria is reached.

otseng
Savant

Post #6

Post by otseng »

whatsit wrote: fair enough, but it would make things easier for people to haggle with the "sticklers for the evidence".
I don't really see how. They'd have to download the zip file, then unzip it, then open it. I doubt many would go through that effort. It's much easier to just read it in the post.
I don't want to deal with the security risks . . .
security was main reason i said all files were to be excluded unless they are zipped.
Zip file by itself is safe, but the mechanism for uploading would have to be secure. This site is constantly being attacked by hackers (at least dozens per day). So, security is of highest priority for me.
maybe you could implement software that auto deletes uploaded files when certain criteria is reached.
That would defeat the purpose of providing evidence if it would eventually be deleted.

whatsit
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by whatsit »

otseng wrote:This site is constantly being attacked by hackers (at least dozens per day).
apparently someone is doing a splendid job of keeping them from appearing on the forum.

kudos and a pat on the back to that person, or persons.