Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Reply to topic
OnceConvinced
First Post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:51 pm  Why does God need a book? Reply with quote

The bible tells us about the Book of Life, which contains the names of those who have been saved and are going to Heaven. If your name does not appear you go to Hell. (Chick Tracts even have God asking the chief Angel "Does his name appear in the book of life?")

There are two issues I have with this (and topics for discussion):

1) If God is all knowing and he knows each of us personally, then why does he need a book to record our names? Santa doesn't need a book to know who's naughty and nice. He just knows. But God needs a book. Why does he need a book when he is all knowing?

2) Why a book? Wouldn't they have really amazing technology in Heaven? You'd think they'd have computers, perhaps even something superior to computers. If the bible had described some kind of metal box that contained all the names... or perhaps a flat round disk, that would go a long way to showing that the bible was divine and not just ancient man's ignorance. Imagine how huge the book would have to be! It would be mammoth. So why use a book rather than some other form of data storage?

Feel free to speculate, even if you have nothing solid.
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 91: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:33 pm
Reply

Like this post
[Replying to post 89 by arian]
I see, arian,
That you feel free to disagree with me, even though I'm the only poster here on DC&R that you found palatable. That's good, you think for yourself--as if ANYONE here had any doubt about that!
Once again you quote something, and at least you stated correctly the verses were from Job 33. Did you notice that there were several parenthetical flourishes? Were they yours? Were they from some commentator whose text you were copying? My guess these were from the very tendentious Amplified Bible that I never would consider using.
EDITED TO ADD:
Closer study reveals that (some at least of) the words in parentheses are yours, arian. Therefore I feel entitled to give a contrasting interpretation from the Reincarnationist side, and without even interposing any commentary or interpretation at all. Of course I'll admit that the New Amercian Bible is the standard pulpit Bible of the Roman Catholic Church, so now you'll hate me forever, but here goes:
NAB Job ch. 33:
22 His soul draws near to the pit,
his life to the place of the dead.
23 If then there be for him an angel,
one out of a thousand, a mediator,
To show him what is right for him
and bring the man back to justice,
24 He will take pity on him and say,
"Deliver him from going down to the pit;
I have found for him a ransom."
25 Then his flesh shall become soft as a boy's;
he shall be again as in the days of his youth.
26 He shall pray and God will favor him;
he shall see God's face with rejoicing.
27 He shall sing before men and say,
"I have sinned and did wrong,
Yet he has not punished me accordingly.
28 He delivered my soul from passing to the pit,
and I beheld the light of life."
29 Lo, all these things God does,
twice, or thrice, for a man,
30 Bringing back his soul from the pit
to the light, in the land of the living.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 92: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:49 pm
Reply
Re: Why does God need a book?

Like this post
.
Inigo Montoya wrote:

Gods that have to be argued into existence or exist solely in philosophical dialogue or sleight of hand syllogisms are of no use to anyone.

I agree -- except that hypothetical gods are useful to those who wish to control or influence others. And, religions built upon hypothetical gods may keep some believers from running amok (as some have said they would do without constraints of their religion). Of course, those same religions can influence people to do dastardly deeds . . .

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 93: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:55 pm
Reply
Re: Why does God need a book?

Like this post
[Replying to post 1 by OnceConvinced]

I am more surprised that, after reading Revelation, your biggest problem is about a book!

The genre of Revelation is what scholars call apocalyptic. It employs symbols, heavily. It represents God anthropomorphically (in human guise) even though authors writing in that genre knew He was incorporeal. God does not need a book.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 94: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:03 am
Reply

Like this post
Blastcat wrote:

arian wrote:

It is not I, but religion, like all the Christian religions that put God in their tiny box and tell their followers that they have to 'just believe' their version of God, no proof, no evidence, just take our word for it, right?


So, you are not like this "religion".

Whatever you're saying about this God thing isn't to be "just believed".

Ok. you have that. We don't "just believe" you at all. Your version of the Bible is your own and only your own.

So, you aren't like this religion. You apparently have "proof" that YOUR god beliefs are TRUE beliefs.

Will you open up your proof to our scrutiny?
You forgot to show us your proof.

So, you aren't like this religion. You apparently have "evidence" that they do NOT have.
Will you open your evidence up to our scrutiny?

Oh, and remember, if you offer the same kinds of evidence and proof that this RELIGION offers, you can't say that you are in any way DIFFERENT from this religion you seem to need to distance yourself from.

Good luck.


Thanks Blastcat.
Ok, so if I offer "same kinds (with an 's') of evidence that the religion offers, you can't say that you are in any way DIFFERENT"

Wow, how does that work?

There are 40,000 different Christian Denominations, out of that let's say 39,990 say that the God of the Bible is a Deity, a divine being (a demon) who resides in the supernatural realm where demons reside. The 10 say God is an Angel, or a man, or some Cherubim.

The 40,000 also agree that the God of the Bible cannot be known, or the human mind could in no way understand or even comprehend Him.

Even though the 40,000 denominations interpret 90% (just a rough estimate) of the main points in the Bible accurately, but they all unanimously agree that God is a Deity who cannot be know or understood with the human mind.

So here comes a guy who defines what a Deity is, and what divination means, which is that Devine means demons, supernatural realm is where the demons, evils spirits reside (you can look this up yourself including Bible dictionaries) that God 'can' be known by man because man was created in Gods image and he can show how we know this and how every other human can know this. Then he shows that we who were created in the Creators image create, and how we create is the same way that God creates (obviously)

Also, .. this guy agrees with about 80 to 90% (depends on the religious Christian denomination) of the Bibles interpretation with these denominations, but the 10 - 20% of the most critical parts of the Bibles message, which is who God and His Son Word is, or whether we can comprehend God or not etc. is COMPLETELY different. As different as worshiping Lucifer over God of Abraham, Isaak and Jacob mentioned in the Bible.

So what you are suggesting is that since I agree with 80% of the Bibles interpretation with the 40,000 denominations, "I can't say that I am in any way DIFFERENT then they?" Is that logical?

I know I bow down to and have constant relation with God who is real, as real as my mind is that I use to communicate with Him with.

The 40,000 bows down to an idea of God that is defined by their religion. They admit there is no scientific reality to their god/gods, nor do they request one, so they simply accept the denominations interpretation of their god/gods on blind faith.
Is God a Trinity, ok, spirit-god, sun-god and holy-father god, together they create the concept 'god'.
Is He is plural, that's cool, the more the merrier, .. or should I say Marryer.
Is His name Jehovah's Witness, .. ok, that's cool, we won't mix him up with the god named 'Sabbath'.

Blastcat wrote:
arian wrote:
There is nothing fallible about 'writing things down', why do you think we do it? That's right, because our 'Father does it', and we who were created in His image do it also.


Humans became infallible all of a sudden. I must have missed the memo.
People like to write fantasy. That's why I think you "do it".


documenting things has nothing to do with fallibility, or infallibility, God was sorry He made man, that doesn't mean He is fallible. He didn't screw up, .. we did.

Blastcat wrote:
arian wrote:
Why do you think that after the Great Flood of Noah God placed a rainbow in the sky, .. remember that?


Because, someone wrote that down. It's a story. In a book.
Now, if a grown-up wants to find out if this weird and strange STORY is REAL... how does this grow-up go ABOUT IT?

any ideas?


Yes, take a course in non-religious archeology, you know, where you are not under the obligation to define all your finds through the Evolution Religion.

"Oh look, human bones right along with Dinosaur bones!"

"Nope, bad dig, it must have been contaminated by an earthquake or something exactly 1.26312 billion years ago! (or whatever, who cares, no actual observation was eve recorded 1.26312 billion years ago because that was before recorded history) Keep digging somewhere else until you find that fits with the doctrine of the Evolution theory! Oh, and mark that spot 'Contaminated', or better yet, blow it!"

Blastcat wrote:
arian wrote:
Because God is an Infinite, Eternal Creative Mind/Spirit, just as I have described our minds, .. and our mind can jump from one plan to another, why wouldn't Mind/Spirit God?


Oh you answer your own questions. How nice. You figured something out. How absolutely nice. Now......

Why should we take YOUR word for it? .. any proof, any EVIDENCE?.. NO?

Just like the religion, then. A religion of ONE.

A religion of YOU.


Everything just has to fit in with a religion for everyone, I guess religions and their gods have dominated the minds of man so long, there is just no way to understand something outside of it. Even science has turned religious, like the Big-bang and evolution theories/stories. The sad part is that everyone thinks I'm just mocking BB-Evolution, but if someone could muster up enough guts to look closer to what I'm saying, they could see what I see.
Religion on the other hand makes us see what they see.

A religion of ME? .. you know, that could become so true, like Luther, God opened his eyes and revealed so much to him that it stunned the Catholic Church. People even stopped paying priests to get their dead family members out of purgatory, .. can you imagine that after about a thousand years? That was unthinkable for Catholics up till then.
But yes, if we don't watch our step, .. Luther could become Lutheran, as Arius became Arianism, a religion, instead of people take what was shown to Luther, and Arius and grow from there.

Why couldn't Luther reach the point how I see God as now?

Because he kept God as a Deity, a demon instead of continuing his "seeking and knocking" for a Creator God who is real. Besides, Luther kept way too much of the Catholic Religion, which included the Catholic plural concept of God, the Trinity.

Blastcat wrote:
arian wrote:
Besides, if we need to jot things down so we don't loose it, it's because our Father does.


An all knowing GOD needs a note pad in case he forgets things. YEAH.. interesting idea.
He must have a LOT of notepads.


Romans 8:27
Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

1 Corinthians 2:10
But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God.


Why would He search, if He knew everything?

Blastcat wrote:
arian wrote:
And every bit of creation, from the first design of the atoms (or whatever the atoms are made of) were written in His Son 'Word'.


I can imagine a celestial library. Can we all imagine a big heavenly library? YES.. come on.. LETS ALL IMAGINE A BIG HONKING LIBRARY IN THE SKY.

It's not that hard if you give it a try.

HEY.. I think MOST people can imagine what you imagine.
Isn't FANTASY GREAT?


Ahh.. there is a difference in 'active thinking' and 'memory', .. but never mind. It will take time I guess!?

Blastcat wrote:
arian wrote:
And how much information does the 'Word' contain?


Ohhhh let me guess.. a WHOLE BUNCH?
Isn't FANTASY GREAT?


Fantasy - is active thinking, personal, when you write it down it can become public, shared phantasy.

Blastcat wrote:
arian wrote:
"I am the Beginning and the End, .. all things were made through Him and for Him, .. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end" so it is very obvious who the Word, the Son of God is!? Besides, a human builder and programmer is in the image of his creator, not the other way around, .. right?


WRONG?

Why should we CARE about your interpretations?
It's all very well that you can make things up but....

BUT religions don't offer any proof you say.
WHERE IS YOUR PROOF?

BUT religions don't offer any evidence you say.
WHERE IS YOUR EVIDENCE?

But religions just say "take my word for it" you say.
SHOULD WE JUST TAKE YOUR WORD FOR IT?

Aren't YOU DOING the very same thing that you accuse this RELIGION of doing?


Look and study each content of what I say and what I call religions say, if it's the same for you, .. then for you yes, I'm doing the same, and I will with Gods help keep writing what I know is the truth. If you cannot see the big difference, then I tell you friend, it's not because I failed to explain it clearly.

If a black and a white person are the same for you, I'll just have to wait till you start to see the difference in skin color.

religions says 'God', I say 'God', .. it's all the same until we define our God/gods.

Blastcat wrote:
arian wrote:
Why would God reveal something that would have only made sense in the last hundred years of human physical existence? The message had to be clearly understood right then. Besides, even though Newspapers and books are turning completely digital, I believe we will always refer to digital books as 'books', .. don't you think?


Do you have any EVIDENCE that the Bible was "clearly understood" back then, or NOW, or EVER?

Most people are constantly arguing about what the Bible "means"... HUGE libraries exist trying to understand what it all means. It's still going ON ... people are still trying to figure it all out. Do you KNOW what they do in Theology school?.... They DEBATE different VERSIONS of how to interpret the Bible. It's never been "clear" at all.


Gods intention was to make sure it is written to be clearly understood, John describing an I-Pad almost 2,000 years ago would not been clear, except fro us in the year 2,000.

You are right, that's what they do in 'theology' study God/gods, not necessarily the God of the Bible, right? When they do study the God of the Bible, He is considered just like one of the other gods, or some deity (demon).

Theists study the concept of god through theology where all god are Theo's among them are 'True gods' - Theo's - Greek

arian - there is a concept of God Theos which are Devine, and then there is 'God' the Infinite, Eternal Creative Mind/Spirit "I Am Who I Am"

Look at this:

Don Stewart - Bible explorer

In the New Testament, the common word for God is the Greek word theos. Theos is the basis of the word theology, "the study of God." Theos is used a number of different ways in the New Testament.

It Can Speak Of The True God
(arian - and who is considered the True God in theology? I explained it many times, .. its an idea, a concept derived by at least 3 individual gods; father-god, spirit-god and son-god = The True God, .. of the Catholic Religion and the 40,000 + denominations thereof.)

When the true God is spoken of, the word theos is used.

In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God [theos] and the Word was God (John 1:1).

It Can Refer To False Gods

The plural form of theos can refer to false Gods.

Indeed, even though there may be so-called gods [theos] in heaven or on earth - as in fact there are many gods and many lords (1 Corinthians 8:5)

The Greek word translated gods is the plural of theos.

The Word Also Can Mean Humans

Jesus used the word "gods" to refer to human rulers.

Jesus answered, "Is it not written in your law, "I said, you are gods'? If those to whom the word of God came were called "gods'-and the scripture cannot be annulled - can you say that the one whom the Father has sanctified and sent into the world is blaspheming because I said, "I am God's Son (John 10:34-36).

Summary

Theos is the common word for God in the Greek New Testament. It normally refers to the true God. However it can also refer to false gods and even humans. The context must determine how it is to be understood.


You see, Bible Explorer Don Stewart didn't even catch that, even though he summed it up really nice. In summery: Theos refers to ALL gods, man, demons, idols, Lucifer, legion the plural demon-spirit, .. and that One True God, who is NOT Bible God that I know, nor is that the One True God described in the Bible. Sorry, but our Creator "I Am Who I Am" is not Lucifer, or that plural demon Legion, don't matter what the religions say.

I pray that helps clear it up a little more.

Blastcat wrote:
Poetry and vague cryptic analogies, metaphors and allegory are like that. Hard to understand.. very UNCLEAR...open to DEBATE and all kinds of INTERPRETATIONS.

Now.. you want us to believe YOUR particular personal interpretation. WHY ?

Why should we? You disagree with ALL the other religious people who disagree with YOU.. YOU DON'T AGREE WITH THEM.. so, how can it be CLEAR?


I understand you friend, I really do. I guess it is hard to understand what I am saying here, and I really struggled with this for a long time now because I considered myself the dumbest here, and for good reasons, right? And yet I understand this as clearly as the monitor and the keyboard before me. So you can imagine what went through my mind why no one understands me? I really thought no one really cared (I know there are those who don't, one way or the other) or are just playing with me (like that would ever happen, .. lol) but I can't be that dumb that I couldn't explain to people something as obvious as the keyboard and the monitor sitting front of me!?

But then, I realize that I have not found ONE, not one Christian Religious Denomination that can define our Creator Bible God. They think they can, and they think theirs is the One True God, there are a bunch of them, but they fail to see that 'you cannot have multiple One True Gods'. It is simple a logical fallacy.

The reason I don't agree with religions and their gods, simply because they are not real 'God', even if the religion considers theirs as the real God.
They may make up a good concept of a plural god like the triune Deity (whom I recognize as the demon 'Legion' Jesus cast out of two men) but nope, the Bible is clear that we are not to worship demons as 'God', nor idols or concepts.

Quote:
if it were so CLEAR, everyone and his donkey could NOT disagree.. but yet.. you do. You disagree with thousands and thousands of interpretations. And these people disagree with you. Thousands upon thousands of people disagree with you.

I disagree with you, too.

Any proof that your particular interpretations are better than any OTHER interpretation?


Yes, as I keep showing you in great detail. God is One, the Only ONE Possible as I have described Him, as the Bible describes Him and as logic describes Him. He is NOT "One of the theistic gods they study in theology", as I have again shown above.

Blastcat wrote:
arian wrote:
The important thing was to get the message across so everyone could understand. But yeas, I can't wait for the coming technology God prepared for those who love Him!?


Are you holding your breath for the new APP FOR YOUR IGOD ?
Thing is.. others can't see your cell phone, or any messages you think you get.
Looks like your IGOD is in your imagination to the rest of us.


That's because the I-Phone, I-Pad etc. is as far as your imagination goes for now. But when someone comes up with something more amazing, you say, "Hmmm, I guess it is possible!?" (remember the Corning House of Glass Video?) So tell me, why wouldn't you think the IGOD is not possible?

Blastcat wrote:
arian wrote:

But let's use our imagination as to what recording equipment (books) could look like in Heaven? I myself could imagine a beautiful big golden scroll, as it unrolls (like those bendable screens coming out), words appear.


Oh wow.. you can imagine nice things. Isn't that nice?

But what about proof or evidence? NONE?
Then why should we care about your fantasy?

I'm thinking what we shouldn't really care.. do you agree?


I guess I could draw them down, but why? You are missing the point, sorry.

Blastcat wrote:
arian wrote:
There are a lot of that in Revelations, and it is just starting to make sense, like helicopters with faces of men,...


Helicopters with faces of men. ... You think they dreamed up helicopters back then? And they painted faces of men on them? ...

Did they write any science at all about these helicopters? ... IS THAT HOW ENGINEERS figured out about the helicopters?... Did the faces help the helicopters fly better?


Maybe John seen the pilots faces in the helicopter?? Well yea, them faces flew the helicopters I would guess?


Blastcat wrote:
Ok, when someone starts talking about helicopters with faces of men in old books... I lose all interest. That not caring about someone's fantasy business.

You can dream up anything you like... and keep dreaming for as long as your heart desires.

Some of us grown-ups are going to play in "reality" now.


OK.

Can I ask which 'Reality-game' you going to play in? Is it Black-Ops, World of Warcraft, .. MineCraft??

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 95: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:02 am
Reply

Like this post
OnceConvinced wrote:

arian wrote:

JoeyKnothead wrote:

From Post 42:

arian wrote:
Oh man, .. that's Joey for you, .. lol. So God needs a book not only to record things in, but to talk to us too, like the Bible right? But did you know that; "Words CAN hurt you!?" Really, .. I've seen this commercial where a word knocked Jessy right off his horse, .. so imagine on that Last Day when the Lord throws the entire book at ya? Ouch!


That reminds me of how Jesus doesn't seem like he's so much for the "by the book" stuff, but does seem to express the idea that love for fellow humans should temper our actions t'wards 'em when they goof.


Exactly, that's why the Jewish Religious leaders hated him so. Picking wheat, then smashing it in their hands and eating it ON THE SABBATH (OMG) while the Pharisees were watching in horror (lol) then He went on freeing a woman caught in adultery spoiling a perfectly good reason to stone somebody, then calling himself the Son of God, .. the list just goes on and on.


Yep. They clearly hated him due to his arrogance and his judgmental attitude towards them. You can just see how people are reviled on this very website when they come in with haughty attitudes, making out they're speaking on God's behalf, that they are somehow chosen by God, and then start breaking the rules, making out they're superior and acting like judgmental asses.

The Jewish leaders saw Jesus as a blasphemer. That with everything else? It's no wonder they didn't like him.


OnceConvinced

Usergroup: Former Christian
Reply as to why the Jews hated Jesus Christ: Yep. They clearly hated him due to his arrogance and his judgmental attitude towards them.

Similar to;

Usergroup: Former Physician

Opinion on a persistent headache: Decapitation

Why is it that I somehow doubt you were ever a Christian? Hmm... ??

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 96: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:13 am
Reply

Like this post
arian wrote:


Oh, if I am to be banned because of Zzyzx, then that was always in the plan. If you mean my dear friend Dianaiad whom I have a hell of a lot more respect for then Z, then she should not be a Moderator because there is a separation of church and forum here, Mormons, Baptists, Catholics cannot rule.



Warning Moderator Warning

This is a personal attack and against the rules. It also constitutes a continuing complaint about moderator action. After a "Final Warning," which you have received, the entire Moderator Team is consulted before further action.

Please review our Rules.

______________

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
MPG Recipient Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 97: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:27 pm
Reply

Like this post
[Replying to post 95 by arian]
arian, please,
I don't know if I'm the only one trying to keep you from being banned, but you're not co-operating with me.
Far as I can tell (I have not read everything he has to say) "once convinced" has made as good a case for having legitimately been a "Christian", whatever that means to you, me, or anyone.
If you continue to castigate people by name I will have to conclude that you welcome banishment and should not be allowed any further role here even on the "comic relief" or "Mark of Cain" categorization that I have been trying to establish for you (and for a certain other party much beloved by our moderators).
I will miss you, but at this point I'm not sure anyone else will.
I post this even realizing that I am risking my own banishment for being so personal. I hope you think it was worth it to risk my fate here as well as yours.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
MPG Recipient Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 98: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:49 am
Reply
Re: Why does God need a book?

Like this post
Quote:
Arian wrote
LOL, .. you are funny.

Yeah, according to special relativity, if we took that hammer at 0.99999 C and threw it out the window, it would be tiny as a quark, and weigh near the mass of the entire universe, and would annihilate every star and planet in it's way! Talking about Odin's Hammer!!

Thank you for proving my point, Arian. Over and over and over again. You demonstrate with every post that not only do you contribute nothing worth considering, you are simply wrong. You can cite nothing that supports this far fetched summation of special relativity as its understood commonly today. This is a willfully ignorant summary according to Arian, and only Arian. No one has proposed what you've written as being factually accurate. You don't listen. You don't attempt to comprehend what's being taught to you, and the above example is a perfect specimen of your ignoring science, reason, the efforts of other members, and simply weaving your own tapestry of reality. You hear what you want to hear, which is no crime. The crime is when you post it and expect anyone to listen or respect it as meaningful/factual.


Quote:
Why, you don't believe in the non-man made God? Must every god be man-made? It sure seems like it since no one can understand the One True God "I Am Who I Am".


Absolute drivel. You can repeat yourself in bold type, italics, underscores, whatever you like. Asserting there is ''One True God'' that no one understands but you is simply that; an assertion. You have never demonstrated this to be true. Rather you have written overly lengthy and convoluted essays more or less forcing the audience to accept that the entire world apart from Arian is in error regarding the issue of deities.



Quote:
For someone whose reasoning is limited by evolution, genetic mutation, change in heritable traits of biological populations over successive generations, are you sure you want to debate special relativity with someone who is created in The Creators image, and not only is aware of it, but understands it?


Everyone's reasoning is limited by a great many things. Some obviously more so than others. You're free to maintain an awareness of being created by some ''Creator'' in its ''image,'' but until such time as you can show this is true, you're only continuing to make noise.

Quote:
OK, first question; "What reason?"
Are you talking about reason that was brought about by a chaotic accident 4.2 billion years ago from a primordial soup puddles that accumulated by rocks sweating? Or are you talking about 'reason' that was brought about by the cosmic accident that forced a quantum speck of you know not what to appear from nothing exactly 13.75 billion years ago?


And here you go again. With no understanding or desire to understand the origins of life on this planet (hint: it's unknown at this time), you send a shotgun blast of insane caricatures forth that try to encapsulate abiogenesis and our universe's beginning. But you fail. Over and over you fail, Arian. You have NEVER had an objection to an idea on this forum that proceeded from a proper understanding of the concept you opposed. Even now, I bet you're deciding what sort of nonsensical rant you'll type up to respond to this, oblivious to anything I'm pointing out.


Quote:
Since we are on the Christian Debating Forum, I can assume you mean the reason that we inherited in our mind from our Creator God The Infinite, Eternal Creative Mind/Spirit "I Am Who I Am"? Which if that's the reasoning you are talking about, then that reason can ONLY reveal the obvious, that there can be but One Creator, and He is conscious, aware of Himself, able to create, within His Infinite Mind.


I'm just going to comment here as a bookmark, and to give you the opportunity to re-read that paragraph of yours. If you can find an ounce of sense in it you expect a response to, I'll be floored.


Quote:
I agree with you there; Gods that have to be argued into existence are really no use for anyone, and don't exclude yourself from that wise statement, it's true!


As Z pointed out, I overlooked the usefulness of said gods when it comes to manipulating minds and laws in the misguided service of them.

I told myself last year I wouldn't respond to any of your threads. I simply can't be bothered to get dragged into these ''discussions'' with you. You refuse to improve your understanding of the topics you rail against, and we have some VERY capable posters on here that have surely tried to teach you. You don't listen. You take the barest, most primitive surface understanding of theories and grossly misrepresent them after sprinkling in fantastic bits that you pull from who-knows-where.

And then you preach. As if by conveying the scattered ideas you hold to be truth loud and long enough, they will simply overwhelm the audience into accepting you a sage.

The most honest thing you've ever said on this site, the most worthy of respect, is that you're not well educated. That's not an easy statement to make on a site like this, but it was commendable. You ruin that honesty and that humility with the types of posts you make that immediately ignore that fact.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 99: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:32 pm
Reply
Re: Why does God need a book?

Like this post
liamconnor wrote:

[Replying to post 1 by OnceConvinced]

I am more surprised that, after reading Revelation, your biggest problem is about a book!


What makes you think it's my biggest problem? Did I even suggest it was my biggest problem?

I wanted to focus only on the idea of the Book of Life because it was a question that came to my mind. An absurdity in the bible I wanted to focus on. I had no desire to go into all the other nonsense due to the enormity of it all.

liamconnor wrote:

The genre of Revelation is what scholars call apocalyptic. It employs symbols, heavily. It represents God anthropomorphically (in human guise) even though authors writing in that genre knew He was incorporeal. God does not need a book.


There is also stuff in Revelations that is literal. Many Christians will argue that the number of the best is literal. Many say the anti-christ is a literal person. That the number of the beast is literal. It's not always obvious what is literal and what is symbolic, even in a ridiculous book like Revelations. I can understand people talking about metaphors when it comes to absolutely absurd things like multi headed monsters, but when it comes to a simple thing like a book? I see no good reasons why a metaphor would be used in this situation. The only reason why I could see that someone would try to make out it was a metaphor is if they were embarrassed about the fact God was using a book in events that are to take place in the 21st century.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile Visit poster's website 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 100: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:39 pm
Reply

Like this post
arian wrote:



Usergroup: Former Christian
Reply as to why the Jews hated Jesus Christ: Yep. They clearly hated him due to his arrogance and his judgmental attitude towards them.

Similar to;

Usergroup: Former Physician

Opinion on a persistent headache: Decapitation


What on Earth are you talking about? How is that in any way similar? icon_dizzy

arian wrote:

Why is it that I somehow doubt you were ever a Christian? Hmm... ?


I'm betting it's because you wish to discredit me. If it's possible to be an ex-Christian then you fear it could happen to you.

My views have changed radically over the last few years. I can look at the stories of Jesus now and no longer have to have the rose-colored glasses on. I can see that Jesus arrogance would have been the reason why so many people despised him. I no longer have to have the mindset that he was the son of God and sinless. I can now see him as a fallible man.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile Visit poster's website 
Display posts from previous:   

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Jump to:  
Facebook
Tweet

 




On The Web | Ecodia | Hymn Lyrics Apps
Facebook | Twitter

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.   Produced by Ecodia.

Igloo   |  Lo-Fi Version