Should the Bible be interpreted literally?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

captaincaustic
Student

Should the Bible be interpreted literally?

Post #1

Post by captaincaustic »

One problem that poses itself time and again for Christians is the question of whether or not the Bible should be interpreted literally. This is important because how people view the Bible is maybe the most important foundation of their faith or lack there of.

melikio
Guru

Why?

Post #21

Post by melikio »

Seems foggy all around.
Why do you say this (please specify)?

-Mel-
"It is better to BE more like Jesus and assume to speak less for God." -MA-

adlemi
Apprentice

Re: Why?

Post #22

Post by adlemi »

melikio wrote:
Seems foggy all around.
Why do you say this (please specify)?

-Mel-

I cannot visibly see you.

melikio
Guru

I think it IS foggy myself.

Post #23

Post by melikio »

One problem that poses itself time and again for Christians is the question of whether or not the Bible should be interpreted literally.
What I've noticed (many more times than I could ever count), are different people, with different "interpretations" of the Bible (or aspects within that book), that they felt or sincerely believed should be taken "literally". Multiple interpretations of the same things cannot all be absolutely "correct". And without something (grace) to bring people together (apart from a perfect biblical consensus), how could there be any hope of "Christian" unity whatsoever?
This is important because how people view the Bible is maybe the most important foundation of their faith or lack there of.
People will always be HUMAN. There are billions of perspectives and heartfelt, sincere "beliefs"; if God's spirit weren't there to fill in the "gaps", I doubt most would believe in anything from the Bible.

I can't seem to find ANYTHING that is exact or absolute about faith, except that it resides within the hearts and minds of most human beings.

-Mel-

melikio
Guru

Ok.

Post #24

Post by melikio »

I cannot visibly see you.
Oh. Ok. O:)

-Mel-