Is this another turning point with Arafat's death?

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Piper Plexed
Site Supporter

Is this another turning point with Arafat's death?

Post #1

Post by Piper Plexed »

I remember hearing on the radio of the 2000 Camp David Peace talks failure a month shy of the self-imposed deadline of September 13, 2000, I was driving through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel on my way to pick up friends for a night out on the town. I started to cry, the feeling of impending doom crushed me. I actually had to pull over down town to regain composure.

Well a year later almost to the day I cried for days while I searched out missing family and friends all the while bearing witness.

With Arafat's death, I can't help but feel that the whole process will begin again, I am filled with hopes and fears.

I would like this to be a thread to post related articles and to discuss the impact of subsequent events. Since Religion sits at the core of this I am very interested in the points of view of DC&R forum members.

Article
"Arab leaders, by the end, came to think of him as an inconvenience, an obstacle to the political process," said Radwan Abdullah, a Jordanian political analyst. "I don't think many people will shed many tears. More people will see this as a chance to give the peace process a new start."

snipp..
If Arafat's heirs fall to squabbling among themselves, "things are going to look bad, because this is what strengthens the Islamists," he said. "To the people on the streets there has to be an alternative, and if the secularists can't deliver, then they turn to religion."

snipp...
Yet the region's sense of identity remains inextricably tied to the Palestinian cause, and that will continue regardless of what happens after Arafat's death. Arabic satellite TV channels beam round-the-clock footage of Israeli violence against Palestinians into Arab living rooms. The radical clerics recruiting in the mosques and on the Internet promise to recover Jerusalem, not for the Palestinians but for a new Islamic caliphate that will span the entire Muslim world.

"This is a very important moment. Either you make out of it a window of opportunity for peace and obstruct the growth of this jihadi trend or you add fuel to the flames," said Adnan Abu Odeh, a former Jordanian Cabinet minister

Although Arafat's passing may remove an obstacle to negotiations, it is also up to the Israelis and the Americans to seize the moment and present Palestinians viable options for statehood, he said. There is still little grass-roots support for peace with Israel across the region, and there is no reason to assume a new generation of Palestinian leaders will find it any easier than Arafat to strike a compromise, he warned.
*"I think, therefore I am" (Cogito, ergo sum)-Descartes
** I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that ...

Piper Plexed
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Piper Plexed »

Article
GAZA (Reuters) - Secretary of State Colin Powell is expected to visit the West Bank for talks next week, a Palestinian official said, in what could signal a revival of Middle East peace efforts prompted by Yasser Arafat's death.

In Washington, a senior State Department official said "we are exploring the possibility of a visit to the West Bank around the time" of Powell's scheduled trip to the Egyptian Sinai resort of Sharm al-Sheikh for a conference on Iraq.

It would be Powell's first such trip in 18 months. Powell said at the weekend he hoped to come "in the very near future" to capitalize on new peace opportunities after Arafat, boycotted by Washington as an alleged orchestrator of violence.

snipp.....

Abbas, 69, likely presidential candidate of the veteran caretaker leadership in the upcoming election, narrowly escaped injury in the shootout between his bodyguards and the gunmen from a faction of the splintered Fatah movement founded by Arafat.

The gunmen chanted "No to Abu Mazen," using the nickname of the man they see as Israel's "stooge" for backing peace talks and declaring that militant violence has been a disservice to Palestinians' goal of a state in the West Bank and Gaza.

Senior cabinet minister Saeb Erekat said on Monday the incident was not an assassination attempt, but it was a harbinger of anarchy unless Palestinians moved swiftly to install a leadership with a popular mandate.

snipp.....
But spokesmen for Hamas and Islamic Jihad said they saw little point to the election. They called it a tool to install a Fatah leader willing to deal with Israel, which they want to destroy. Islamists wield significant power in Gaza. (Additional reporting by Diala Saadeh in Ramallah and Saul Hudson in Washington)
I wonder if this is the best move as direct US involvement most likely will be frowned upon and exploited by extremeist. Honestly I don't think we should be chargeing right on over there.
*"I think, therefore I am" (Cogito, ergo sum)-Descartes
** I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that ...

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by ST88 »

I worry that so much hate has been cultivated on both sides that any attempt by a new Palestinian leadership toward reconciliation will be met with violence by radical members, just as it was in Yitzhak Rabin's assassination.
Abbas demands ceasefire from factions
In his first major political gambit since being appointed PLO executive committee chairman, Mahmoud Abbas is coaxing leaders of the major Palestinian armed groups, including Hamas, to suspend terrorist attacks against Israel in the lead-up to the January 9 elections for Palestinian Authority chairman, sources in Gaza said Tuesday...

While none of the militant groups wants to play the role of elections spoiler, the more extremist of the Fatah elements and the Islamic groups consider Abbas something of a traitor for his concessions to Israel during his stint as prime minister in 2003...

Hamas intends to run against Fatah officials in the parliamentary elections. Palestinian analysts estimate that Hamas could gain anywhere from eight to 15 of the 88 seats in the Palestinian Legislative Council.

Meanwhile, leaders of the Aksa Martyrs Brigades, a rogue element of Abbas's own Fatah faction, have conditioned their support for the leader on his taking a tough line against Israel and resuming financial aid to the cash-strapped group...

Speaking from a safe house in the warren of alleys of Nablus's casba on Monday, Aksa leader Nasser Jumaa hinted that Abbas might indeed be an assassination target. Former prime minister Yitzhak Rabin "was killed because some Jewish organizations believed he surrendered to the Palestinians," he told The Jerusalem Post. "I believe that people can get killed when their people believe they are surrendering them to the enemy," he concluded.