Theists don't ask questions

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
Blastcat
Banned
Banned
Posts: 5948
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:18 pm

Theists don't ask questions

Post #1

Post by Blastcat »

Hi

I ask a lot of questions.. and SOMETIMES ( but not always ) get answers.

One of the reasons that I do ask a lot of questions, is that I don't actually learn anything new by proselytizing atheism. I do that a bit, of course, I think it's important that people get to know an atheist and what he thinks about the "big questions" and so on, but I am ALSO here to learn what OTHER people think.

So, the questions.

It just occurred to me that I RARELY get any questions from the theists.
Isn't that odd?

____________

Question for debate:


  • Why is it that theists don't seem very curious as to what outsiders to their beliefs think?

____________


:)

User avatar
Blastcat
Banned
Banned
Posts: 5948
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:18 pm

Post #211

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 210 by Hector Barbosa]





[center]
You seem to need that something "intelligent" is happening. Where did you get that need from?
[/center]

Hector Barbosa wrote:
Don't you need for something "intelligent" to happen?
No, not really.

I feel the greater need of only believing in things that I can have some evidence is TRUE. Just because I want something doesn't make it so. Need isn't my criteria for what is real or true.

I can stare at a sunset... not ever thinking that something "intelligent" is causing that. But it doesn't matter if it did or not.

It's still just as moving.

It' just that I'm not imagining something out there thinking it all up, or "creating it".
I know that as a human, I am thinking it all up, in a sense. All of my senses end up being processed in my brain. All my experiences are being "thought up" in a way.

i have "ideas" about beauty, nature, the science of sunsets, the romance, that... "awesome feeling" that I get. None of those ideas come from OUTSIDE of me, but from "inside". I'm an animal, so i respond to my environment.

It's very pleasurable sometimes to respond to my environment.
So much so, as a matter of fact, that imagining an "intelligence" pulling the strings seems quite trivial by comparison to what's really happening out there.

I really do love beautiful sunsets.. I'm a nature lover, for sure. But I don't have to anthropomorphize nature to enjoy it. I grew out of that by the age of 4 I think.

I still look at clouds and see bunnies and baby lambs in them and whatnot.. But I really dont at all spend any time figuring if they are REAL. I can imagine LOTS of nice things. That doesn't surprise me any longer.

Isn't the imagination great?

__________________

But I'd really love to read your answer:

Where did you GET that "intelligent designer" need from, do you think?

__________________

Hector Barbosa wrote:
I mean you can only have so much fun laughing at stupid people.
I used to be one of those "stupid people".... I was very bright back then when I believed in religion. Please don't call anyone stupid in here.

You might get a warning.

Hector Barbosa wrote:
Could you enjoy living in a world without evidence of intelligence?
We have LOTS of evidence of intelligence.

But nature does not display intelligent DESIGN.
I think that's what you are talking about, right? That's what the creationists are advocating now a days.

Some intelligent designer to all of this.... a creator?
Like the one found in the Genesis stories?

You falling for that religious propaganda?

You don't have to buy something just because someone is selling it.
Even if it is 50% off.

Hector Barbosa wrote:
I must admit I don't think I could :-|
Whatever gets you through the night, I suppose, it's alright, it's alright.
I wonder about other things, instead.


I like to learn about things that I CAN know.



:)

Wootah
Savant
Posts: 7599
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:16 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Post #212

Post by Wootah »

Hector Barbosa wrote: [Replying to post 206 by Blastcat]
It's because I spend all of my money worshiping Satan by eating pizza.
lmao...haha I love your humor

It's great fun to watch you and William debate :)
Moderator Comment

It's great that you enjoy other posts however we prefer to not see posts that simply congratulate others. Use the mpg donation system if you see a post you like.

Please review the Rules.


______________

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

Looking for head to head debates, especially on contradictions or the Trinity. PM me your topic.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Edit preferences to remove all the fluff: ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=view

User avatar
Hector Barbosa
Apprentice
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:19 am
Location: Scandinavia/UK

Post #213

Post by Hector Barbosa »

[Replying to post 211 by Blastcat]
No, not really.

I feel the greater need of only believing in things that I can have some evidence is TRUE. Just because I want something doesn't make it so. Need isn't my criteria for what is real or true.
You are changing the argument again now, like you did in our pm debate.
I asked about INTELLIGENCE, not TRUTH. These two words do NOT mean the same.
You can be intelligent without speaking the truth, and you can speak the truth without being particularly intelligent.
I can stare at a sunset... not ever thinking that something "intelligent" is causing that. But it doesn't matter if it did or not.

It's still just as moving.
Well you don't NEED to stare at the sun do you?
If you don't need something "intelligent" to happen, are you saying that you could live perfectly fine without any evidence of "intelligence"?
How do you define need and intelligent then?
I still look at clouds and see bunnies and baby lambs in them and whatnot.. But I really dont at all spend any time figuring if they are REAL. I can imagine LOTS of nice things. That doesn't surprise me any longer.

Isn't the imagination great?
haha..well if that is how you see things then you have just handed the theist argument a golden ticket ;)
I used to be one of those "stupid people".... I was very bright back then when I believed in religion. Please don't call anyone stupid in here.

You might get a warning.
lol...you had me rolling laughing with this one, I don't know if that was intended, but the irony in these two statements is priceless :D

First you say you were a very bright stupid person...whatever such a person is :)
And then efter calling yourself ex-stupid you warn me not to call anyone that.

Thanks for the warning I certainly have no reason to call you stupid, you just might be the funniest cat I know :)

I asked you: Could you enjoy living in a world without evidence of intelligence?

And you responded:
We have LOTS of evidence of intelligence.

But nature does not display intelligent DESIGN.
I think that's what you are talking about, right? That's what the creationists are advocating now a days.

Some intelligent designer to all of this.... a creator?
Like the one found in the Genesis stories?

You falling for that religious propaganda?

You don't have to buy something just because someone is selling it.
Even if it is 50% off.
ok, then so you answer my question with a question? Why do you assume I am talking about a creator when speaking of intelligence? Is that because you believe only a God can be intelligent? Wouldn't that contradict your atheist argument? I that a yes or a no then?
I wonder about other things, instead.


Like how long you can stare at the sun? Well that would explain the shades and species confusion lol...sorry I couldn't resist

But all joking aside, you DO consider yourself intelligent don't you?

If I did not think you was, we would never have spend so much time talking and debating as we have so far ;)

User avatar
Blastcat
Banned
Banned
Posts: 5948
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:18 pm

Post #214

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 213 by Hector Barbosa]




[center]What ARE we talking about?[/center]

Hector Barbosa wrote:
I asked about INTELLIGENCE, not TRUTH. These two words do NOT mean the same.
You can be intelligent without speaking the truth, and you can speak the truth without being particularly intelligent.
I have no way to know if the universe is designed by some kind of intelligent being.

Hector Barbosa wrote:
Well you don't NEED to stare at the sun do you?
No.

Hector Barbosa wrote:
If you don't need something "intelligent" to happen, are you saying that you could live perfectly fine without any evidence of "intelligence"?
I have plenty of evidence for intelligence in humans.
If you aren't discussing ID, let me know.

Hector Barbosa wrote:
How do you define need and intelligent then?
Just the common definitions.

Hector Barbosa wrote:
haha..well if that is how you see things then you have just handed the theist argument a golden ticket ;)
They are quite free to take it.

Hector Barbosa wrote:
First you say you were a very bright stupid person...whatever such a person is :)
Those aren't my words.

Hector Barbosa wrote:
And then efter calling yourself ex-stupid you warn me not to call anyone that.
Please don't call anyone stupid.

Hector Barbosa wrote:
ok, then so you answer my question with a question? Why do you assume I am talking about a creator when speaking of intelligence? Is that because you believe only a God can be intelligent? Wouldn't that contradict your atheist argument? I that a yes or a no then?
I'm an agnostic, an atheist and a skeptic, so NO, I don't believe in a GOD.
Do you or do you not believe in Intelligent Design?

Just what are you talking about?



:)
Last edited by Blastcat on Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Hector Barbosa
Apprentice
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:19 am
Location: Scandinavia/UK

Post #215

Post by Hector Barbosa »

[Replying to post 214 by Blastcat]
I have no way to know if the universe is designed by some kind of intelligent being.
No I suspect not, since I am in the same boat you are.
Those aren't my words.
No they are my words restating your words: "I used to be one of those "stupid people".... I was very bright back then when I believed in religion."
Please don't call anyone stupid.
haha..I am sitting here communicating with the smartest cat I know, do you really think I am qualified to call anyone stupid? :D
I'm an agnostic, an atheist and a skeptic, so NO, I don't believe in a GOD.
Do you or do you not believe in Intelligent Design?
By intelligent design do you mean DNA or regenerating cells? Well of cause I believe in DNA and regenerating cells, that is proven not just by science, but by me too.
I believe in intelligence, but if by intelligent design you want to go over and try to call me a creationist again...then you can eat your own hairball cool cat :p

You should know the answer to that question by now from me. I do not believe or disbelieve intelligent design beyond what I have evidence.

Do I think intelligence exist beyond my own. Yes! Does it cause me to conclude there is a God? No! Does it cause me to conclude the evolution theory is correct? No!

Has curiosity killed the cat yet? :p

User avatar
Blastcat
Banned
Banned
Posts: 5948
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:18 pm

Post #216

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 215 by Hector Barbosa]



[center]
So, I guess we weren't talking about ID, after all. [/center]

Hector Barbosa wrote:
Do I think intelligence exist beyond my own. Yes! Does it cause me to conclude there is a God? No! Does it cause me to conclude the evolution theory is correct? No!
You do realize that you are now in opposition to thousands of reputable scientists, don't you? The theory of evolution is one of the BEST scientific theories that we have. And somehow, you cant "conclude" that it's correct.

Well, at least you don't believe in Intelligent Design.
That's a start.

Here is another place to start:
http://www.livescience.com/474-controve ... works.html


:)

Post Reply