do we police ourselves?

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

achilles12604
Site Supporter

do we police ourselves?

Post #1

Post by achilles12604 »

I have sent a couple e-mails to fellow christians concerning what I think (good or bad) about some of their material and thoughts. I was wondering if anyone else does this? Do you think it is a good or bad idea?

Just for the record, I would love feed back on my posts. Especially if you think I am blowing smoke or being stupid. I really would like to know. Feel free to use this thread as our sounding board or PM me if that is more comfortable.

After all we are supposed to be operating in the light right? Bring out what we think into the light if it needs it.
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

otseng
Savant

Re: do we police ourselves?

Post #2

Post by otseng »

achilles12604 wrote:I have sent a couple e-mails to fellow christians concerning what I think (good or bad) about some of their material and thoughts.
I think it's a good idea.
Feel free to use this thread as our sounding board or PM me if that is more comfortable.
I think PM or email is probably more appropriate for personal discussion on someone else's posts.

And I also put out an open invitation to all to PM me if you feel I step out of line in any of my posts. Some might think it strange that an owner of a forum could step out of line, but I've seen it happen on other forums, so I know it's possible.

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by achilles12604 »

Fair enough.
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

Jester
Prodigy

Re: do we police ourselves?

Post #4

Post by Jester »

achilles12604 wrote:I have sent a couple e-mails to fellow christians concerning what I think (good or bad) about some of their material and thoughts. I was wondering if anyone else does this? Do you think it is a good or bad idea?
I have been growing in confidence that this is a good idea. I also give open invitation for anyone to send me a private message about anything that may be "out of line" in my posts. I consider that a very Christ-like action.
achilles12604 wrote:Just for the record, I would love feed back on my posts. Especially if you think I am blowing smoke or being stupid. I really would like to know. Feel free to use this thread as our sounding board or PM me if that is more comfortable.
I'll have to give you more. It often bothers me that the nature of debate sometimes keeps one from interacting with those he/she agrees. (I suppose that's what discussion rooms are for).
achilles12604 wrote:After all we are supposed to be operating in the light right? Bring out what we think into the light if it needs it.
This sounds good to me. Knowing someone would keep me accountable would take a lot of the stress and guesswork out of trying to find that loving honesty balance.

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

I've been thinking about how to be more intentional about this.

How about creating a custom usergroup called "Brother's Keeper"?

Those who join that usergroup would agree to the following:
- Abide by the spirit of the rules of the forum.
- In a humble and loving attitude, privately contact a fellow Brother's Keeper when he/she is disrespectful or uncivil to any other forum member or when a rule is close to being violated.
- Be receptive to any private correction from a fellow Brother's Keeper and not defend one's own actions.

Joining this usergroup will mean abiding by a higher standard than set forth by the letter of the law in the rules. It will require an attempt to be totally blameless in attacking others and holding each other accountable to this.

Oh, and also "sisters" would be allowed to join too. O:)

Jester
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Jester »

otseng wrote:I've been thinking about how to be more intentional about this.

How about creating a custom usergroup called "Brother's Keeper"?

Those who join that usergroup would agree to the following:
- Abide by the spirit of the rules of the forum.
- In a humble and loving attitude, privately contact a fellow Brother's Keeper when he/she is disrespectful or uncivil to any other forum member or when a rule is close to being violated.
- Be receptive to any private correction from a fellow Brother's Keeper and not defend one's own actions.

Joining this usergroup will mean abiding by a higher standard than set forth by the letter of the law in the rules. It will require an attempt to be totally blameless in attacking others and holding each other accountable to this.

Oh, and also "sisters" would be allowed to join too. O:)
That sounds like an excellent idea. I'm more than willing to try it.

otseng
Savant

Post #7

Post by otseng »

Brother's Keeper usergroup created.