Welcome!

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Welcome!

Post #1

Post by His Name Is John »

It seems to me, that new members rarely post a introduction thread anymore. As such I am making this thread as a way that new members can say hi, and get to know a couple of people on the forums.

So to all the new members:

First of all, hello! :wave:

Second, why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself?
“People generally quarrel because they cannot argue.�
- G.K. Chesterton

“A detective story generally describes six living men discussing how it is that a man is dead. A modern philosophic story generally describes six dead men discussing how any man can possibly be alive.�
- G.K. Chesterton

Hector Barbosa
Apprentice

Re: Welcome!

Post #401

Post by Hector Barbosa »

[Replying to post 395 by Tired of the Nonsense]

Oh and by the way thanks for the welcome. I love POTC and think this series actually has a deeper philosophical insight that most who watch it for entertainment purposes miss.

I find the characters. Jack Sparrow, William Turner, Elizabeth Turner, Cutler Beckett, Norrington, Davy Jones, Tia Dalma, Bootstrap Bill and of cause Hector Barbossa very fascinating, especially if you look at their motives and where it gets them.

And that theme is actually quite relevant to your argument about me lacking a motive in being here, while you think you have a better one.

For if I am Hector Barbossa in the movie, you might be Cutler Beckett or at best Jack Sparrow ;)

But would you argue their end was a better one? Or perhaps to escape the obvious you would prefer arguing that the personalities of the characters, and where they ended is so fictional that it says nothing about reality whatsoever?

Hector Barbosa
Apprentice

Post #402

Post by Hector Barbosa »

[Replying to post 383 by 5amantha]
Hi everyone, I'm Samantha an ex-Christian. I still believe in God, just not the Christian version of Him. I'm here because I love discussing the Bible.
Hi Samantha!

What you describe sounds a bit like me except from the other end of the spectrum :)

I am a ex-Atheist, who still believes in science and is not sure about God. I think the argument for God is quite strong, but the argument for religion fairly weak, and I too love discussing the Bible :)

Especially since I find the Old testament a bit "religious" but the New testament far more liberating and loving.

I could want to believe in God from the New testament, but not from the Old testament.

American Deist
Apprentice

Greetings all!

Post #403

Post by American Deist »

My name is Chris and I serve the ministry as a police chaplain for a rather large PD in the southeastern USA. I am an ordained minister, and I finished seminary with a Doctor of Theology degree (ThD), however I insist on not being called doctor. That drives some of my fellow officers crazy (they want to say doctor out of respect) but I don't really care about having a few extra letters before or after my name. I always request that they just call me Chris.

I grew up as a Baptist but by the time seminary was drawing to a close, I had to do a serious self analysis about my beliefs (especially after learning Hebrew and Koine Greek). I know that I believe in God, and I know that I follow Jesus' teachings on morality and compassion. The best way that I can describe my rather complicated beliefs is that I am a Christian Deist, but I am FAR from traditional when it comes to Christianity.

One of my favorite hobbies is studying astronomy, and last Christmas I got my oldest son his first telescope. We have been sharing many star gazing nights together, and I hope to pass on my love for astronomy/cosmology to him. The younger son has to settle for little rocket ships and astronaut figures for now!

I am a history buff, especially anything predating 476 CE. I'm also a drummer of 30 years and LOVE rocking out on my TAMA kit down in the man cave!

When I retire from the PD in ~7 years, I plan to become a professor of theology and history at either a university or seminary.
I am only responsible for what I say, not what you fail to understand!
P.D. Chaplain w/ Th.D., D.Div. h.c.

Joe1950

Post #404

Post by Joe1950 »

His Name Is John wrote: It seems to me, that new members rarely post a introduction thread anymore. As such I am making this thread as a way that new members can say hi, and get to know a couple of people on the forums.

So to all the new members:

First of all, hello! :wave:

Second, why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself?
I am an atheist. I am always willing to consider opinions and to respectfully discuss topics of science, religion and philosophy.
Retired.

jcforever
Banned
Banned

Hello to you all.

Post #405

Post by jcforever »

I am member of a spiritual club called God and I'm being used by him for his benefit. He's the one who guided me here.

EphesiansGal
Student

Post #406

Post by EphesiansGal »

Hello, I just joined today. I am looking forward to discussing subjects relating to Christianity in a world that seems to be getting wierder by the year.

I am 62, and have recently completed my degree in art practice, which means all aspects of art e.g. painting, drawing, ceramics, sculpture, printmaking and the study of art history. It took me 6 years on a part-time course, and was very exciting, if tiring.

I like gardening, cooking, music and writing.

I live in Wales, UK

I was born again 32 years ago. Of all my interests, my faith has taken me on the biggest journey of my life.

Talk soon,
EphesiansGal

enki
Student

Post #407

Post by enki »

[Replying to post 1 by His Name Is John]

My name is Enki, and I am Sumerian Polytheist. So you the :study: know I am posting reference material I will annotate it. I welcome lively discussion among the religious and comparisons with ancient near east and monotheism and its development over the years.

Sojournerofthearth
Apprentice

Its me, Soj

Post #408

Post by Sojournerofthearth »

Greetings,

I am Sojournerofthearth. I am what a non-theist would call a Christian and what a Christian used to refer to as a follower of the Anti-Christ. :D I found the site interesting. :study: So I thought I might like to join for a while.

I'm not as well versed in theology as most and tend more towards biblical teachings... thus, I don't follow most traditional christian traditions.

Hope this fulfills the criteria for introduction.

Soj

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: Its me, Soj

Post #409

Post by Zzyzx »

[Replying to post 404 by Sojournerofthearth]

Welcome to the Forum. You should bring interesting perspectives.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #410

Post by OnceConvinced »

Welcome! Hope you hang around.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World