Welcome!

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Welcome!

Post #1

Post by His Name Is John »

It seems to me, that new members rarely post a introduction thread anymore. As such I am making this thread as a way that new members can say hi, and get to know a couple of people on the forums.

So to all the new members:

First of all, hello! :wave:

Second, why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself?
“People generally quarrel because they cannot argue.�
- G.K. Chesterton

“A detective story generally describes six living men discussing how it is that a man is dead. A modern philosophic story generally describes six dead men discussing how any man can possibly be alive.�
- G.K. Chesterton

BrainSauce

Re: Welcome!

Post #411

Post by BrainSauce »

[Replying to post 1 by His Name Is John]

Hello out there in Internetland! I am very excited to join the ongoing discussions on this forum...I've been browsing for a while and couldn't stay silent any longer ;) , so I had to join and flap my gums for a little bit.

I am a skeptic, progressive, and humanist. My primary concern is truth as it comports with reality, as I do pragmatically accept that there is a reality that I experience, that I experience it along with other physical beings, and that there are truths about that reality which we can discover through scientific exploration. To borrow from Dillahunty: my goal is to take steps to insure that my internal map of reality (the way I experience the world) most closely maps with actual reality. I only care to deal with experiences and occurrences that manifest in reality, as in my experience, one can construct an argument that "proves" almost any hypothetical with the correct word usage and argument structure. Therefore, I tend to take a hard evidentialist approach to understanding, though I will offer my opinions on hypotheticals from time to time.

I look forward to verbally jousting with everyone in the future!

La Mystica
Student

Post #412

Post by La Mystica »

Hello, I am a new member here and this is my first post. I hope to contribute to the discussions and maybe I'll learn something new.

No special meaning should be sought behind my nickname, except that the "La" is an abbreviation of Laura, my first name.

Politically, I can best describe myself as democrat, though I am not American. I am from Poland. I think that global warming and pollution of the Earth are serious problems. In my opinion, international organisations should remain strong or become stronger. My religious background is Catholic, but I don't participate in any organised rituals of any religion.

ryeisone

Hello!

Post #413

Post by ryeisone »

ryeisone wrote: Hello DC&R. I looked for an "introduce yourself" thread, but either I'm blind or it doesn't exist. So, I picked the first thread that looked interesting. I've done plenty of commenting on youtube, blogs and other places. Frankly, the culpable ignorance and trolling are astounding. That's how I came here in search of fellow travelers who actually want to understand the fullness of truth more completely. I have posted several essays dealing with apologetics and the philosophical state of the West here: https://steemit.com/@ryeis1
Hello again! I found it! :study: :idea: 8-)

ryeisone

Post #414

Post by ryeisone »

[Replying to post 407 by BrainSauce]

Hello there. It's good to meet a skeptic who doesn't just lump all religion into the same group of fundamentalist young earthers that have given Christianity such a bad rap in these times. Here's a link to my thoughts on an agnostic critique of religion. Tell me what you think from the humanistic progressive point of view. I'm not easily offended fyi.

https://steemit.com/religion/@ryeis1/di ... o-you-know

Petrameansrock
Student

Post #415

Post by Petrameansrock »

[Replying to post 1 by His Name Is John]

Hi everyone, I'm a Post-Latter Rain non-denominational. Long name, I know. Anyway it basically means I am a charismatic but I also believe in the necessity of church order. I also have some pretty unique beliefs like Baptism in Jesus Name, but I am also a Trinitarian. I feel like I can defend my beliefs pretty well and hopefully you guys enjoy being able to see a new, pretty unique viewpoint. Oh and as far as Calvinism goes I am 3-point (Total Depravity, Unconditional Election, and Perseverance of the Saints). So yeah that's me.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #416

Post by McCulloch »

Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

EBA
Apprentice

Newbie.

Post #417

Post by EBA »

Hi all, my name is Eric and I live in AZ.

Haven't been on a forum for awhile; the last one was quite hostile and not very productive.

I grew up a Lutheran, denounced it and became an Atheist (for about 20 yrs) and then realized my fault (my eyes were somewhat opened).

I do not belong to any organized church and never will again.

With that said, I am looking forward to some friendly discussion and debate and wish everyone peace.

God Bless!

Clownboat
Savant

Re: Newbie.

Post #418

Post by Clownboat »

EBA wrote: Hi all, my name is Eric and I live in AZ.

Haven't been on a forum for awhile; the last one was quite hostile and not very productive.

I grew up a Lutheran, denounced it and became an Atheist (for about 20 yrs) and then realized my fault (my eyes were somewhat opened).

I do not belong to any organized church and never will again.

With that said, I am looking forward to some friendly discussion and debate and wish everyone peace.

God Bless!
Welcome to the forum!
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

EBA
Apprentice

Post #419

Post by EBA »

Thank you Sir.

Tcg
Savant

New to the Forum

Post #420

Post by Tcg »

Hello all. I am a former Christian who has been an atheist for about 12 years now. In my youth I studied for the ministry and worked in a variety of churches. For most of my adult life however, I worked in the tech world. I began to have serious doubts about my faith and found that most if not all of the questions I asked about the Bible and God had no logically satisfying answers.

Losing my faith took a number years and was a process not a one time event. During the years that I have been an atheist, I have been shocked to see the mistrust many people have of atheists and how often atheism is misunderstood and misrepresented.