What is the correct way to interpret the Bible?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Justin108
Banned
Banned

What is the correct way to interpret the Bible?

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: those that interpret the bible correctly will never find any of its statements contradict proven scientific fact.
What is the "correct" way to interpret the Bible? Is there an objective "correct" way to interpret the Bible? If so, what methods should one employ to interpret the Bible "correctly"?

Let's use Genesis 1 as an example. What is the correct interpretation of Genesis 1 and what method did you employ to conclude your interpretation?

Specifically...

1. Is Genesis 1 literal or metaphorical? (what method did you use to reach this conclusion?)

2. If it is metaphorical, what is it a metaphor for? (what method did you use to reach this conclusion?)

3. What is your explanation for the Genesis 1 claim that God created plants before he created the sun? (and again, what method did you use to reach this conclusion?)

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #191

Post by Justin108 »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
ttruscott wrote: From my Christian pov the only correct way to interpret the Bible is to find out from GOD what HE meant when HE had it written that way...
So the only way to interpret the Bible is to assume from the get-go that it's the word of God?

Back to the dilemma I pointed out in post 51. In order for Jack to believe in the Holy Spirit, he must first believe the Bible. In order to believe the Bible, he must first believe in the Holy Spirit. How is Jack ever expected to believe if the Holy Spirit only comes after belief yet is also necessary for belief?

Maybe this same logic applies to Islam? That must be why you're not a Muslim. You forgot to read the Quran with the a priori assumption that it's the word of God.
Maybe this same logic applies to Quran?
That is not the case with Islam. Please don't generalize it to Quran.
Regards
Why does it not apply to the Quran?
Did one try it with Quran?
Has one read Quran from cover to cover, intently, please?
Regards
Please don't answer my question with more questions please. Please? Please. Thank you. Please

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #192

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 190 by Justin108]
Please don't answer my question with more questions please. Please? Please. Thank you. Please
I take it that you're not a fan of the Socratic method then?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #193

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Justin108 wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
ttruscott wrote: From my Christian pov the only correct way to interpret the Bible is to find out from GOD what HE meant when HE had it written that way...
So the only way to interpret the Bible is to assume from the get-go that it's the word of God?

Back to the dilemma I pointed out in post 51. In order for Jack to believe in the Holy Spirit, he must first believe the Bible. In order to believe the Bible, he must first believe in the Holy Spirit. How is Jack ever expected to believe if the Holy Spirit only comes after belief yet is also necessary for belief?

Maybe this same logic applies to Islam? That must be why you're not a Muslim. You forgot to read the Quran with the a priori assumption that it's the word of God.
Regards
Regards
OK.
Quran is a very reasonable and systematic Revelation, as One-True-God's Word should be. So the question that arise when reading mythical NT Bible do not arise when reading Quran. It is therefore wrong to generalize that experience to Quran, please.

Regard

polonius
Prodigy

Re: What is the correct way to interpret the Bible?

Post #194

Post by polonius »

tam wrote:

The book of Revelation is inspired (given in spirit) scripture, from Christ, and John was told by Christ to write it down.

"The revelation of [Jesus] Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, who testifies to everything he saw - that is, the Word of God and the testimony of [Jesus] Christ." Revelation 1:1-2

Christ is the one who sent His angel to John,

"I, [Jesus], have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright morning star." Rev 22:16

And John (in the spirit on the Lord's Day) was told by that angel:

"Write down on a scroll what you see and send it to the seven churches..." Rev 1:11

John was then also told by Christ:

"Do not be afraid. I am the first and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead and behold I am alive forever and ever. And I hold the keys to death and Hades. Write, therefore, what you have seen, what is now, and what will take place later..."

Peace to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
RESPONSE: What evidence do you have that Revelation is really inspired by God? Can't anyone make such a claim about any writing they wish?

What is your evidence that this a true statement? Who, if anyone, confirmed it?

Also which John are you referring to: John the Apostle, John the Evangelist, or John Patmos?

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #195

Post by Justin108 »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote:
Justin108 wrote:

Regards
Regards
OK.
Quran is a very reasonable and systematic Revelation, as One-True-God's Word should be. So the question that arise when reading mythical NT Bible do not arise when reading Quran. It is therefore wrong to generalize that experience to Quran, please.

Regard
Christians would tell you the Bible is a very reasonable and systematic Revelation, as One-True-God's Word should be. So what's the difference?

evilsorcerer1
Banned
Banned

Post #196

Post by evilsorcerer1 »

the beast from the sea came from the tower of babel where languages were confused, where the people tried to reach the tree of life, and where the garden of eden was. {eastward, civilization, less wild beasts with glowing eyes at night}
If he’s the beast from the c then he would have been sayin {hebrew; עַיִן, ‘ayin’ c+ ayin=see + eye} cain and cainan {‘cane-in’} together would be see eye cane-in or see eye dog. If cain was the beast from the sea {c} once he must have been sain {sane}. C comes from b, then b comes from a. Does that mean babel came from abel. {hebrew; הֶבֶל, ‘Heḇel’}? But if abel was able why did he need cain? Maybe without him he’d habel {hobble}. If cain is the beast from the sea, would abel be the beast {bsd} from the b? ***s & c often have the same sounds, but if man confused the languages and then covered it up with the tower of babel story, after ‘b’ {babel, blasphemy} in the alphabet {all fall bet which is wrong because it should have been the all fell bet}, in hebrew is called alef bet {olive bet or all live bet}, k might be the hard ‘k’ sound while c & s would be either the ‘sss’ or ‘ch’ sound}*** So abel needed a kane? {in hebrew pronounced ki-in, ki as in kite, en as in enough}. So is it kane or ki-en? The answer is kane is ki-en, abel is abel. Able is the man, ki-en is the kind. Gen 5:2 says “He created them male and female, and blessed them and called them Mankind in the day they were created.�
And gen 2:4 says: “This is the history of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens, before any plant of the field was in the earth and before any herb of the field had grown. For the Lord God had not caused it to rain on the earth, and there was no man to till the ground; but a mist went up from the earth and watered the whole face of the ground.�
It says there was no man to till the ground, but it doesn't say no man had been created. So abel {הֶבֶל, means vapor} was man; cain {kayin, which should have been pronounced say-in as in sighing with a silent final g or sign} was the bsd {beast} . “sign, mark, symbol�.
if a mist went up from the whole ground, that was probably the heat evaporating {הֶבֶל, vapor} in the israel desert and a clue abel was alive already.
It probably hadn’t rained yet because in the israel desert it never rains until winter. According to wikipedia some places there have 30 m high sand dunes, nearly impenetrable soil, precipitation that is often concentrated in violent storms, causing erosion and flash floods. So the first flood probably happened the first rainfall and anyone there probably thought the whole world was only a few hundred miles wide.
If Cain was the bsd from the sea he had 7 heads with 7 crowns and 10 horns: cain’s killer was to be punished 7 fold, lamech’s 77 fold. If the same rule applied to cain’s name is applied to lamech; lamek, lames: lames backwards is semal {hebrew; סֵמֶל; symbol, sign, image, mark} What is the relation of 777 and 666? The genealogy of adam claims lamech lived a total of 777 years, which tells me they probably weren’t real ages but numbers with different meanings.
It could have to do with the false assumption in this story cain and abel were created after the first 7 days. If the dragon is the beast out of the east, that could be the serpent from the garden or the whole story from the start of creation to the fall.

Facts: the dragon is red, adom means red, scarlet; the dragon is known to have wings, fly, mythical creature; the woman dressed in red/scarlet and purple/lavender sat on a scarlet beast. and red may represent the sun and the nucleus {over 99.4% of an atom’s mass is in the nucleus, as with the ratio of our sun to solar system}. Red could also be soil, earth, sod, tierra,then purple would be the ocean.
{a} adam {air, dirt, arch, metal} is a part of creation before human life, {b} eden heaven, where the 4 rivers and 2 trees flow from heaven, an ion, having a charge, in motion {c} eve is evening, later in the day, a passing of time {eve, even, near the end, fallen man, even, completion, even, neutral}

the genealogy of Mark; mark son of the cross, son of jesus, son of the tribulation, son of the return on a white horse, son of the spirit, son of the 70,000000000000000000000000000000000 + an unimaginable amount of more zeros, son of the amount of light year to possibly get past outer space, son of absolutely nothing there for a person in a body to go, son of wouldn’t have been able to pass mars by now without precious body breaking apart, son of would have went the wrong way anyway and crashed into the sun, son of the lesion, son of the bruise, son of the sore, son of the sign, son of the rod, word god {two edged sword}, son of the spear, son of the club, son of the letter, son of the emblem, son of the blasphemers, son of the blast, son of sodom son of sod, son of dirt, son of adam, son of chad son of kush, son of ethiopia, son of eve, son of evening, son of black, son of gomorrah, son of gamma ray, son of blast, son of fire, son of brimstone, son of edge of the world, son of leviathan, son of noah, son of people that lived to 60 and thought it was 1,000, son of people that couldn’t count, son of the iron rod, son of the wooden staff, son of the son of the shedding of blood for forgiveness for shedding blood, son of shedding innocent blood because they were minding their own business and might put up less of a fight, son of the flood, son of the cover up, sun of the sun and moon stopping in the sky, son of the son rotating around the earth, son of the lesion, son of the war, son of the people who think they can be forgiven, son of the bronze serpent, son of the golden calf, son of the golden god, son of the silver savior, son of the ark of the covenant, son of the rainbow, son of the ark, son of the line, son of the lie, son of the sentence, son of the angle, son of the ark, son of jonah, son of japeth, son of japetto, son of pinnocchio, son of noah, son of pronounced noach in hebrew, son of sounds like no-arch, son of ark is angle, son of the pencil, son of the writing instrument, son of the angle a writing instrument makes, son of the imagination, son of the prophecy, son of the vision, son of wine, son of the grape, son of the farmer, son of the darkness, son of the lost, son of the law, son of animals will be punished for killing, son of the evil animals, son of the blasphemer, son of the tower of babel, son of abel, son of the bible, son of the ratio, son of the ratio of noah’s ark is to the ark of the covenant what the rods that hold the ark of the covenant are to moses rod, son of the pencil, son of made up stories, son of the using shiny objects to describe heaven, son of hell, son of heaven, son of they’re the same place, son of where everyone is going, son of fire isn’t the only way to suffer pain, son of it all hurts the same, son of 666, son of the beast, son of the animals and humans being created on the same day, son of the tree of knowledge of good and evil {conscience}, son of what people shouldn’t eat because they might uncover the evil motives of others, son of babel, son of confused languages, son of confused people, son of blasphemy, son of the serpent was god, son of god is evil, son of those that talk to a good god, son of those people were really talking to themselves, son of a god that loved abel’s sacrifice of slaughtered animals and hated cain’s sacrifice of berries and grapes, son of people who think god is on their side, son of people killing each other, son of doesn’t bother me except there are so many bullets in many forms and the people are horribly bad shots, son of the world war, son of the nation, son of the evil dictator, son of hitler was evil, son of hitler didn’t do that all by himself, son of protecting little kids, son of you’re a liar, son of the kids are running in the wrong direction, son of a lot of people dying, son of people only protecting their rights to run their big mouths, son of god said to whack the end of your little kids penises off, son of jesus said to wash each other’s feet, son of god said you’re gonna go to heaven, son of the definition of blasphemy, son of being your own god,son of abraham, son of the homophone, son of ever cham , son of ever hot, son of when moses was talking to the burning bush, son of what moses, abraham and the two burning bushes represent, son of the two olive trees and the two lampstands, son of the genealogy of adam, son of the vengeance for cain’s killer being 7 fold and lamech’s being 77 fold, son of lamech’s life being 777 years, son of those numbers mean something else, son of adam represented atom, son of adam is dirt, brother of dirt is sod, brother of sodom is adam, brother of gamma ray is gomorrah, son of abel is babel, son of the tower of babel {writing instrument} wrote the bibel, son of eve represented time and eden represented the nucleus and the other part of the process of creation, son of cain and abel were mankind, son of abel means able, a blessed human, son of cain means cane, helper, canine, son of the sixth day, son of cain was a dog that asked god to put a mark on him so no one would kill him, son of the mark was to be human, son of a story about people choosing to exist, son of the tree of life was something that had already happened, son of the fruit of knowledge of good and evil is what separates animal life from human life, son of adam and eve were supposed to be spirits who hadn’t fallen, son of the skins god made them may have symbolized bodies, son of lamech backwards could be interpreted as camel or semal, son of semel in hebrew mans symbol, son of sign, mark, symbol are all synonyms, son of what a rod could leave, son of a world full of blasphemers who think they can go to heaven and aren’t afraid to die, son of the mark of the beast, son of cain, son of c can have an s sound, son of cain in hebrew is pronounced cayin, son of with an s sound is siyen or sign, son of the serpent in the garden, son of the mark of the beast is a made up story to take the focus off a whole world of people who think they’re calling fire down from heaven but are really just gambling by setting themselves on fire a little and seeing who explodes first, son of the tree of life, son of the fruit that god had to move far away from people because people were becoming too much like them, son of what the people in babel were trying to reach when they built the tower, son of babel is babylon, son of babel was written by the author of the bible, son of those people are describing blasphemy, son of that can’t be forgiven, son of the story of adam and eve was actually blasphemers unknowingly referring to the god as the devil and themselves as god, son of there are two trees of life in heaven, son of the only way anyone’s getting into heaven is if they sneak some of that fruit and throw god out or if heaven is really hell, son of the tree of life are stars anyway, son of there’s no way to the garden of eden except the one that existed from the beginning, son of any garden or park in the world, son of where hebrews wanted to go to get away from the desert, son of it hadn’t rained yet, son of that’s because they hadn’t been there for more than a year, son of it’s the desert idiot, son of garden eastward, son of garden is jordan, son of where they thought the other side of the world was, son of there supposedly was no ocean before the flood, son of noah probably thought there were only 50 animals in the whole world, son of he probably only would have taken the raven and dove anyway, son of ark + b is bark, son of bark + pitch is bark plus dried mud, son of noah probably thought the whole world was 200 miles across, son of he thought the stream that flowed by him wasn’t too dangerous looking, son of the negev has hot, dry summers, 30 meter sand dunes and impenetrable soil when the winter storms hit, son of someone probably did think the the whole world flooded, son of sitting out in solitude with no or little human contact with extreme exposure to nature and the elements, son of wild animals with glowing eyes at night, son of the beast of the sea, the land and the air {dragon}, the genealogy of st. mark. s a i n t m a r k➙ sain + mark➙ cain + mark➙ christianity➙ whether it's people with sticks and rocks or guns and bombs it's still just a bunch of blasphemers who think calling fire from heaven is setting themselves and each other on fire and seeing who explodes first;

otseng
Savant

Post #197

Post by otseng »

[Replying to post 195 by evilsorcerer1]

:warning: Moderator Warning

Post violates several rules:
7. Do not post frivolous, flame bait, or inflammatory messages.
13. Posts that do not meet the minimum level of readability and comprehensibility can get deleted without notice and can result in an immediate member ban.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #198

Post by paarsurrey1 »

[Replying to post 194 by Justin108]

Do the Atheism have any Book from Nature with systems with claims and reasons for comparison with Bible and or Quran, please?

Regards

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #199

Post by Justin108 »

paarsurrey1 wrote: [Replying to post 194 by Justin108]

Do the Atheism have any Book from Nature with systems with claims and reasons for comparison with Bible and or Quran, please?

Regards
No. Now answer my question. Christians would tell you the Bible is a very reasonable and systematic Revelation, as One-True-God's Word should be. So what's the difference?

Monta
Guru

Re: What is the correct way to interpret the Bible?

Post #200

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 1 by Justin108]

"Let's use Genesis 1 as an example. What is the correct interpretation of Genesis 1 and what method did you employ to conclude your interpretation?"

In my long search I eventually came to Swedenborg.
I am not the first one to say that he has answered all my questions.

Thinking about Genesis from its literal sense alone it offers no clue that
it speaks about deeper things of man's life, his regeneration towards more perfect states of six days; God rests on the seventh day as His work in regenerating man
is completed.

The first stage (1st day of creation) is preliminary, extending from infancy
to just before regeneration, and is called void, emptiness,and darkness. The first stirring, which is the Lord’s mercy,is the Spirit of God in constant motion on the face of the water.

In the second stage (2nd day) a distinction is drawn between the things that are the Lord’s and those that are our own.The things that are the Lord’s are called a “remnant� in the Word.

The third stage (3rd day) is one of repentance. During this time, at the prompting of the inner self, we speak devoutly and reverently and yield a good harvest (acts of neighborly kindness, for instance). These effects are
lifeless nonetheless, since we suppose that they come of our own doing. They are called the tender plant, then the seed-bearing plant, and lastly the fruit tree.

In the fourth stage (4th day) love stirs and faith enlightens us. Before this time we may have spoken devoutly and yielded a good harvest, but we did so in a state of trial and anguish, not at the call of faith and kindness. In consequence they are now kindled in our inner self and are called the two lights.

In the fifth stage (5th day) we speak with conviction and, in the process, strengthen ourselves in truth and goodness. The things we then produce have life in them and are called the fish of the sea and the birds in the heavens.

In the sixth stage (6th day) we act with conviction and therefore with love in speaking truth and doing good. What we then produce is called a living soul and a beast.
Because we begin to act as much from love as from conviction, we become spiritual people, God's image.
https://swedenborg.com/wp-content/uploa ... tsofHeaven