Can you be a Panentheist and a Christian?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

darthbarracuda
Student

Can you be a Panentheist and a Christian?

Post #1

Post by darthbarracuda »

I was raised a Christian.

I began to question some of the beliefs of it, like the idea of a "Personal God" and Heaven/Hell and the rituals and customs and whatnot.

After a lot of research, I came to the conclusion that I was most like a Panentheist.

However, I'm finding a hard time just letting go of Christianity. I have a small cross that's been hanging in my room for ages, and I took it down only after a lot of contemplation. It was like I was still believing/fearing God, even though I've decided that the Christian idea of God doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me.

And it's not like I hate Christianity. I think one of the reasons I'm having trouble letting go of it is because it does teach good. It does teach to lead a good life. It's optimistic and full of morals and stuff. But there are some things I don't agree with.

So I was thinking of going the opposite way: Do you think you can be a Panentheist and a Christian? I know that a Panentheist's idea of God is drastically different from a Christians, but honestly do you think you could still go to church and do all the stuff other Christians do even though you have a different idea of the qualities of God?

Not only this, but I want to find a group of people that are like me. One of the pros of being in a religion is that there's a social aspect to it. Being a Panentheist...well...it's kinda boring. Yeah there's sites for PANtheism (which is like a cousin to Panentheism) and some forums but not an actual religion. I guess for it to be a religion you would have to add in all these rituals and traditions and stuff, which I don't believe in. And there's no real holy book or pamphlet. And no interesting history or anything.

A lot of Pan(en)theists are also Neo-Pagans. Although I find the idea interesting and kind of cool, I can't actually see myself being part of a Coven or being a Wiccan or something of the sorts.

Talishi
Guru

Re: either or, not both

Post #11

Post by Talishi »

Overcomer wrote: The God of the Bible is transcendent. This means that he exists outside of his creation. He is not part of it.
That was true until the incarnation. Thomas putting his fingers into the nail holes of God the Son means God is now part of creation.
Thank you for playing Debating Christianity & Religion!

davidsun
Student

Re: Can you be a Panentheist and a Christian?

Post #12

Post by davidsun »

4gold wrote: [Replying to post 1 by darthbarracuda]

Certainly you could not be both a panentheist and Christian in the traditional sense of the word. If you are a panentheist, you would have to reject the core proofs of God's existene by Augustine, Aquinas, and Anselm, all of whom say that God must be greater than the world.

Can you be a panentheist and a neo-Christian? Absolutely.
I don't see Augustine et al. as being defining authorities in terms of what is or isn't Christian, do you?. Let's go to the 'big' horses' mouths :D , shall we?

"In him we live, and move, and have our being." (Acts, 17:28)

"At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you." (John, 14:20)

"Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." (Matthew 25:40)

Couldn't be more panentheistic, IMO.

Maybe you just need to find more unbiased 'Christians' to hobnob with, Darth.

Dimmesdale
Sage

Post #13

Post by Dimmesdale »

It's possible.

An interesting read here that tries to blend Eastern thought with the Judeo-Christian tradition that you may find intriguing:

http://davidgodman.org/rteach/fnofgod1.shtml

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #14

Post by paarsurrey1 »

darthbarracuda wrote: I was raised a Christian.

I began to question some of the beliefs of it, like the idea of a "Personal God" and Heaven/Hell and the rituals and customs and whatnot.

After a lot of research, I came to the conclusion that I was most like a Panentheist.

However, I'm finding a hard time just letting go of Christianity. I have a small cross that's been hanging in my room for ages, and I took it down only after a lot of contemplation. It was like I was still believing/fearing God, even though I've decided that the Christian idea of God doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me.

And it's not like I hate Christianity. I think one of the reasons I'm having trouble letting go of it is because it does teach good. It does teach to lead a good life. It's optimistic and full of morals and stuff. But there are some things I don't agree with.

So I was thinking of going the opposite way: Do you think you can be a Panentheist and a Christian? I know that a Panentheist's idea of God is drastically different from a Christians, but honestly do you think you could still go to church and do all the stuff other Christians do even though you have a different idea of the qualities of God?

Not only this, but I want to find a group of people that are like me. One of the pros of being in a religion is that there's a social aspect to it. Being a Panentheist...well...it's kinda boring. Yeah there's sites for PANtheism (which is like a cousin to Panentheism) and some forums but not an actual religion. I guess for it to be a religion you would have to add in all these rituals and traditions and stuff, which I don't believe in. And there's no real holy book or pamphlet. And no interesting history or anything.

A lot of Pan(en)theists are also Neo-Pagans. Although I find the idea interesting and kind of cool, I can't actually see myself being part of a Coven or being a Wiccan or something of the sorts.
Do you think you can be a Panentheist and a Christian? I know that a Panentheist's idea of God is drastically different from a Christians, but honestly do you think you could still go to church and do all the stuff other Christians do even though you have a different idea of the qualities of God?
So one has a searching soul and one is in search of Truth. Why become a Panentheist when one is not sure of its being Truth? Please elaborate.
Panentheism is neither based on Word of Revelation nor on science. Right, please?
Regards

William
Savant

Post #15

Post by William »

[Replying to post 1 by darthbarracuda]
I think that the Panentheist idea of GOD is far more expansive than any organised religions ideas of GOD.
As per the comments in this thread, some agree you can be and other agree you cannot be, but the rational of those who disagree is all sourced in dogma, and what I find in the Panentheist idea of GOD is very liberating in comparison and doesn't cause a hindrance to ones personal growth.
Indeed, I found for myself, and see others also say the same, Panentheism is a natural enough extension of Christianity and I too came to this understanding through Christianity.
It is only natural - the desire for like-minded human companionship. Panentheism allows me to mix it up and I enjoy most company but also avoid the company of certain types. I find I enjoy my own company in relation to my understanding of Panentheism, and in that - being in a group - isn't such a priority or something overly necessary.

Panentheism is ideal for introspection in relation to me and reality. It isn't really important that I have to find like-minded individuals. GOD is sufficient in that regard, but certainly, while I do spend a great deal of time in my own company, I have no problem going out into the world and interacting with others.

davidsun
Student

Post #16

Post by davidsun »

William wrote:I think that the Panentheist idea of GOD is far more expansive than any organised religions ideas of GOD. ... Panentheism is a natural enough extension of Christianity and I too came to this understanding through Christianity.
I am in synch with all of your comments, William. In the process of (re)interpreting Jesus' actual words/sayings in non-traditional (Biblically speaking) ways, I think I have completely reconciled Jesus's view of God (often referenced as "The Father") and Life at Large (often referenced as "Christ" and "The Son") in a panentheistic way. As a matter of fact, I think Jesus' understanding was/is completely panentheistic.

If you or anyone else are interested in reading it, I have presented said reconciliation it in the first chapter (23 pages) of a treatise, called "What Jesus Really Meant," which may be freely downloaded as a stand-alone pdf document from my website:

http://davidsundom.weebly.com/uploads/7 ... nt-ch1.pdf

Sincerely -

David Sundaram
David