Welcome!

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Welcome!

Post #1

Post by His Name Is John »

It seems to me, that new members rarely post a introduction thread anymore. As such I am making this thread as a way that new members can say hi, and get to know a couple of people on the forums.

So to all the new members:

First of all, hello! :wave:

Second, why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself?
“People generally quarrel because they cannot argue.�
- G.K. Chesterton

“A detective story generally describes six living men discussing how it is that a man is dead. A modern philosophic story generally describes six dead men discussing how any man can possibly be alive.�
- G.K. Chesterton

FWI
Sage

Re: Welcome!

Post #431

Post by FWI »

[Replying to post 426 by Clownboat]

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice.

FWI
Sage

Post #432

Post by FWI »

[Replying to post 426 by Clownboat]
I'm still curious as to which parts of the statement are demonstrably not true.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice.

My belief system does not include rules, which allows me to perpetuate barbaric practices. Yet, if you would express these barbaric practices, which the quote is referring to and which book they are being referenced in. I might be able to enlighten you to the truth. With respect, of course...

Rules that must be followed or face an invisible being’s wrath.

This statement is inclusive with the first one, hence it is related to barbaric practices. It is also an example of a double negative. Hence, you can't in "good conscious" complain about rules, which suppositively allows barbaric practices and then complain about actions, which tries to curtail them!

This is just a clever attempt at deception. Also, known as a catch-22.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #433

Post by Clownboat »

FWI wrote: [Replying to post 426 by Clownboat]
I'm still curious as to which parts of the statement are demonstrably not true.

My belief system does not include rules,
Then this person is not talking about you then. For example, he would be talking about people that used the Bible to justify slavery or witch hunts to name just a couple.
Yet, if you would express these barbaric practices, which the quote is referring to and which book they are being referenced in.
A couple examples were supplied above.
I might be able to enlighten you to the truth. With respect, of course...
With respect, how is it that you acquired this 'truth' when I was not able to? What special abilities or knowledge do you have that I don't?
Rules that must be followed or face an invisible being’s wrath.
This statement is inclusive with the first one,
Can you name a god concept that is not 'invisible'? Just writing it off as inclusive in the first doesn't cut it. Remember, I asked what you disagreed with that you could demonstrate as not being true.
Hence, you can't in "good conscious" complain about rules, which suppositively allows barbaric practices and then complain about actions, which tries to curtail them!
You yourself admit that this could be done in 'bad conscious' so the point remains. To clarify, I hope you are not accusing me of complaining as I don't see where I have done such a thing. To do so would be a strawman.

Again, if you can demonstrate which parts of the statement are un-true, I would appreciate it. Trying to write them off because they don't pertain to you does not make the statement as a whole, false.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

FWI
Sage

Post #434

Post by FWI »

[Replying to post 428 by Clownboat]
You yourself admit that this could be done in 'bad conscious' so the point remains. To clarify, I hope you are not accusing me of complaining as I don't see where I have done such a thing. To do so would be a strawman.

I'm not accusing you of anything. Well, maybe an odd way of welcoming me to this forum. But, it is what it is.

Yet, it seems that you support the quote! So, only you know your intent.
Trying to write them off because they don't pertain to you does not make the statement as a whole, false.

It does to me and that's what matters, when I'm involved. This can be accepted or not...

Metadian
Student

Post #435

Post by Metadian »

Hello everyone! I've just (re-)made an account, so a bit of introduction:

I'm Spanish and I'm 22. I'm culturally Christian -Catholic-, though I've been an atheist from a very young age, I didn't confirm. I used to be more "militant" and, I think, doctrinal about my atheism, so that's why I'm here. I'd like to listen to things theists say with an open mind and challenge points of view critically no matter what position they come from, theist or non-theist.

I'm finishing my degree in medicine. I'm interested by a lot of scientific subjects and philosophy, and also linguistics, I study some of these as a hobby. Politically I used to be very left-leaning and nowadays I'm more centrist.

I used to have an account, in case anybody has been long enough and remembers me, I was "Ragna". In any case, I look forward to meeting current members and I hope we have interesting discussions!

Hominid

Post #436

Post by Hominid »

[Replying to post 1 by His Name Is John]

G'day! I'm brand new here, and look forward to involving myself with some lively discussion. I was born an unbeliever (aren't we all?), raised Catholic, did the born again thing, deconverted over 20 years ago, and now sit comfortably being a small "A" atheist, or "de facto" atheist. I don't declare to know there is no God of the bible, because I know how that is a logically fallacious statement.

I like to play guitar, take awesome videos and stills with my drone, cook, write, and discuss religion and philosophy. And debate of course. Let's have some fun. (Takes a bow...)

Clownboat
Savant

Post #437

Post by Clownboat »

Hominid wrote: [Replying to post 1 by His Name Is John]

G'day! I'm brand new here, and look forward to involving myself with some lively discussion. I was born an unbeliever (aren't we all?), raised Catholic, did the born again thing, deconverted over 20 years ago, and now sit comfortably being a small "A" atheist, or "de facto" atheist. I don't declare to know there is no God of the bible, because I know how that is a logically fallacious statement.

I like to play guitar, take awesome videos and stills with my drone, cook, write, and discuss religion and philosophy. And debate of course. Let's have some fun. (Takes a bow...)
Welcome to the forum!
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Metadian
Student

Post #438

Post by Metadian »

Hominid wrote: [Replying to post 1 by His Name Is John]

Welcome Hominid! See you around :D

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #439

Post by OnceConvinced »

Welcome to our newest members. Hope you all hang around. :)

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

JohnDamron

Introduction

Post #440

Post by JohnDamron »

I am John Damron.I am a newbie user to this forum.I believe in the existence of God.I work as a content writer for an online firm.I had a strong passion for writing from a very young age itself.That's why I opted writing as my career.I hope this forum would help me to enhance my knowledge.