Gun Fanaticism

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

WinePusher
Scholar

Gun Fanaticism

Post #1

Post by WinePusher »

I believe in the second amendment, but it's clear that the original intent of the founders wasn't to sanction the right to bear weapons of mass destruction capable of killing and wounding 400+ people in the matter of minutes.

At this point the NRA and these gun fanatics are just as worst as liberals.

So, what is the deal with gun fanatics? Why do some people feel the need to horde heavy weapons? How can anyone defend the unregulated sale of heavy machine guns and assault rifles?

brianbbs67
Guru

Re: Gun Fanaticism

Post #21

Post by brianbbs67 »

Tcg wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote:
I am surprised no one has pointed out the obvious misuse of the terms assault rifle, machine gun and heavy weapons by the OP and supporters.
Without explaining the reason you think these terms are being misused, this "point out" isn't very helpful.
England banned guns and now have "knife" violence issues to the point of them considering a knife ban. I guess rocks and sticks follow that.
The amount of death and injury that a single attacker can achieve with a high round capacity semi-automatic rifle far exceeds that which would result from a knife attack by a single attacker. Any argument that avoids addressing this fact is flawed from the outset.

I'd also be very interested in some sources that back up your claim that England is, "considering a knife ban."
The real problem , evil, is never addressed.
While we wait for you to resolve the problem of evil in the world, I suggest we limit access to high round capacity semi-automatic rifles to lessen the damage individuals intent on committing acts of evil can do.
I think you know the answers already, but here you go.

1 Assault rifle= fully auto, machine gun=full auto(could be belt feed too), Heavy weapons=bombs, tank, artillery, hand grenades, and so on.

Many hunting rifles are semi auto, the same as MPs, AK, ARs. Anti-gunners are just scared by the ARs appearance.

2 Sure, more rounds before reloading is more useful. If you limit to 10 round mags, I could carry 100 in a back pack. Or if I am a Criminal, as these evil people are, I don't care about your law. I will do as I wish.

Punishing the law abiding for what criminals do is insanity.

3. https://www.snopes.com/2015/06/22/save- ... our-knife/

4. i know exactly how to eliminate Evil, greatly. Kill it immediately, when it appears. Convicted of murder, rape, or child molestation, executed quickly after a quick appeal process, not 20 years.

5 My nerve?? This is the internet. I am unafraid to repond to anyone as is fitting. This is a virtual world. I feel the threat level is low.

DPMartin
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by DPMartin »

WinePusher wrote: I believe in the second amendment, but it's clear that the original intent of the founders wasn't to sanction the right to bear weapons of mass destruction capable of killing and wounding 400+ people in the matter of minutes.

At this point the NRA and these gun fanatics are just as worst as liberals.

So, what is the deal with gun fanatics? Why do some people feel the need to horde heavy weapons? How can anyone defend the unregulated sale of heavy machine guns and assault rifles?
the writers just finish a war with men who used their own rifles, they wouldn't have been mad then if their people had automatic weapons nor would they have been mad when the British came back a burned the white house. so your view is strictly uninformed.

starthrower
Student

Post #23

Post by starthrower »

Rufus21 wrote:
WinePusher wrote: So, what is the deal with gun fanatics? Why do some people feel the need to horde heavy weapons?
Perhaps it has something to do with the media? One common theme in conservative media is that the rest of the world (liberals, the government, foreign governments, big corporations, scientists, you name it) is coming to get you. Everything is a war. The headlines include everything from the "war on coal", the "war on religion", the "war on women", the "war on terror", the "war on marriage", the "war on meat", the "war on success", the "war on the poor", even the "war on Christmas"! You can imagine how being constantly subjected to this would cause paranoia and emotional instability. This is all being broadcast to people who already have a tenancy to follow their emotional reactions instead of (and even in spite of) the truth. It's the perfect recipe for violent outbreaks like the ones we have seen. The media is creating wars that don't exist and enlisting soldiers to fight and die for non-existent causes.
The antidote this is to turn off the TV and start reading. Do some research and get some facts and statistics about the issues that concern you. Don't trust Fox, MSNBC, CNN, or any other TV news organization to report the "truth" to you. Commercial television is incapable of conveying a deep understanding to its viewers concerning complex issues. But mostly they need to get people wound up emotionally because they're in it for the money.

SkyChief
Apprentice

Post #24

Post by SkyChief »

WinePusher wrote: I believe in the second amendment, but it's clear that the original intent of the founders wasn't to sanction the right to bear weapons of mass destruction capable of killing and wounding 400+ people in the matter of minutes.

There is is a clue in the 2nd Amendment as to what types of "arms" were to be used by "the people".

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Maintaining a free State means that civilians need to have the same or equivalent weapons as police and the army.

Police and Military are equipped with M-4 carbines. The AR-15 is an equivalent carbine which fires the same [NATO] ammunition. So it's safe to assume that the Founders intended for civilians to have these semi-auto carbines, too.

If the police and Military were only equipped with slingshots, then civilians would only need slingshots "to keep a free State".
WinePusher wrote:So, what is the deal with gun fanatics? Why do some people feel the need to horde heavy weapons? How can anyone defend the unregulated sale of heavy machine guns and assault rifles?
IMO, the reason that some people feel the need to horde heavy weapons is because they fear that anti-2nd Amendment lawmakers will ban them. They think that in the event of a weapons ban, there will be a grandfather clause which would allow gun owners to keep the weapons they already own.

I don't believe this for a minute - if there ever is a gun-ban, all weapons of these types will need to be turned in for destruction. That's what they did in the UK and Austrailia.

starthrower
Student

Post #25

Post by starthrower »

The people hording large collections of firearms in hopes of defending themselves from our evil government are the same people who voted for Trump. Guns in the hands of civilians are not going to save our republic from Trump, and other politicians that are selling off our country to the highest bidder. And I don't believe for a minute that the government will ever attempt to cofiscate all guns from the public.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #26

Post by brianbbs67 »

starthrower wrote: The people hording large collections of firearms in hopes of defending themselves from our evil government are the same people who voted for Trump. Guns in the hands of civilians are not going to save our republic from Trump, and other politicians that are selling off our country to the highest bidder. And I don't believe for a minute that the government will ever attempt to cofiscate all guns from the public.
What does that mean? (voting for Trump)

I will agree the government can not confiscate all the guns. WHo would give in to this?

I will remind you that guns in the hands of civilians made our country.

TSGracchus
Scholar

Post #27

Post by TSGracchus »

brianbbs67 wrote:
starthrower wrote: The people hording large collections of firearms in hopes of defending themselves from our evil government are the same people who voted for Trump. Guns in the hands of civilians are not going to save our republic from Trump, and other politicians that are selling off our country to the highest bidder. And I don't believe for a minute that the government will ever attempt to cofiscate all guns from the public.
I suspect it refers to those who voted for Donald Trump.
brianbbs67 wrote:I will agree the government can not confiscate all the guns. WHo would give in to this?
Perhaps those who prioritize obedience over liberty? Which is to say, most conservatives.
Fifty years ago in Germany, I discovered that you could own a rifle or shotgun, but it was kept under lock and key in a hunting club. You could take your firearm out to go to the adjoining range or to hunt under the direct supervision of a game warden who would make sure you shot at only the animal he had previously selected. Many countries in the world have similar laws, so to answer your question: Most reasonable people who don't see themselves as heroic patriots would obey the laws.
brianbbs67 wrote:I will remind you that guns in the hands of civilians made our country.
Actually it was an army and foreign intervention that won the American Revolution.

:study:

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #28

Post by AgnosticBoy »

TSGracchus wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote:I will agree the government can not confiscate all the guns. WHo would give in to this?
Perhaps those who prioritize obedience over liberty? Which is to say, most conservatives.
Liberty and obedience are not mutually exclusive. The majority of lawful gun owners in the U.S. are law abiding citizens.
TSGracchus wrote:Fifty years ago in Germany, I discovered that you could own a rifle or shotgun, but it was kept under lock and key in a hunting club. You could take your firearm out to go to the adjoining range or to hunt under the direct supervision of a game warden who would make sure you shot at only the animal he had previously selected. Many countries in the world have similar laws, so to answer your question: Most reasonable people who don't see themselves as heroic patriots would obey the laws.
I don't look to Germany for solutions. As a law abiding US citizen, I'm able to carry a concealed firearm for my own security from those who commit violent crime.
TSGracchus wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote:I will remind you that guns in the hands of civilians made our country.
Actually it was an army and foreign intervention that won the American Revolution.

Militias also fought the British during the Revolutionary War. Please present all of the facts and not just those that support your side.

TSGracchus
Scholar

Post #29

Post by TSGracchus »

AgnosticBoy: "Liberty and obedience are not mutually exclusive."

To gain some liberties, we must give up others. And those who have made a life's work of studying psychology and sociology have determined that those who identify themselves as "conservative" value obedience over liberty, while "liberals" tend to go the other way. It is almost a defining characteristic.

AgnosticBoy: "The majority of lawful gun owners in the U.S. are law abiding citizens.

And would they be law-abiding if the law said they couldn't have guns? Will they only obey the laws they approve of?

AgnosticBoy: "I don't look to Germany for solutions. As a law abiding US citizen, I'm able to carry a concealed firearm for my own security from those who commit violent crime."

In an average year, Germany has 1.01 gun deaths per 100,000. The US has 11.96 gun deaths per 100,000.
Gun homicides in Germany 0.07 per 100,000, suicides 0.84 nper 100,000, and unintentional gun deaths per year 0.01 per 100,000.
In the Us there are 4.62 gun homicides per 100,000, 7.10 gun suicides per 100,000 and 0.15 "unintentional" gun deaths per hundred thousand.
An of course, Germany is not the safest by far. -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... death_rate

Who have you protected yourself from so far, AgnosticBoy? Who will protect the rest of us from some panicky adolescent scattering bullets around, when even trained police under fire can't seem to get many rounds anywhere near the target, unless the target is running away?

AgnosticBoy: "Militias also fought the British during the Revolutionary War. Please present all of the facts and not just those that support your side."

Oh, Concord and Lexington?! Colonials with hunting rifles pot shotted the British column from cover. The did this while protecting the armory where the muskets, the faster loading war machines of the day were locked up.

It wasn't the militia that bottled up Cornwallis at Yorktown, it was the combined forces of a combined Continental and French army and the French navy. If the militia served any purpose at all in a battle, it was to fire one volley before they ran away. Unless they are facing unarmed and peaceful protesters, militias almost always funk.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #30

Post by brianbbs67 »

TSGracchus wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote:
I suspect it refers to those who voted for Donald Trump.
Fifty years ago in Germany, I discovered that you could own a rifle or shotgun, but it was kept under lock and key in a hunting club. You could take your firearm out to go to the adjoining range or to hunt under the direct supervision of a game warden who would make sure you shot at only the animal he had previously selected. Many countries in the world have similar laws, so to answer your question: Most reasonable people who don't see themselves as heroic patriots would obey the laws.

1. I wanted to know specifically what he meant. Lot of people voted for Trump.

2. Obedience should never trump Liberty. Free people will never give to this. Sheep will.
Today in America, I can safely fire any weapon I own whenever I want. I own and live on private land. The consensus of "reasonable people" means no thing to me. People in Dueschtland 70 years ago hauled off Jews for extermination. must have been ok, as many agreed to it?

3. The Militia became an army over time. It was a slow process(1774-1792). That's why a militia was required of every free state. There were even laws that required how much ammo and what type of rifle you had to maintain as a citizen. The french did help greatly at the end with a naval blockade driving Cornwalis into a cave in Yorktown. If the militia hadn't carried its weight, France would have never lost money and wealth to help drive the British army out. British public didn't want any more loss either. So, it came together as a perfect storm and here we are.