How can we possibly have free will?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Compassionist
Guru

How can we possibly have free will?

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

How can we possibly have free will? Without omnipotence, it is impossible to have free will. We, biological organisms, are all prisoners of causality. We are all doomed to be conceived without our consent, doomed to do the inevitable, doomed to suffer and doomed to die. If I were truly free, I would have already gone back in time and prevented all suffering and injustice by making everyone equally omnibenevolent, omniscient, omnipotent and omniculpable. Please see: and and https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... p-in-brain Thank you.

ThePainefulTruth
Sage

Re: How can we possibly have free will?

Post #61

Post by ThePainefulTruth »

Compassionist wrote: How can we possibly have free will? Without omnipotence, it is impossible to have free will. We, biological organisms, are all prisoners of causality. We are all doomed to be conceived without our consent, doomed to do the inevitable, doomed to suffer and doomed to die. If I were truly free, I would have already gone back in time and prevented all suffering and injustice by making everyone equally omnibenevolent, omniscient, omnipotent and omniculpable.
The free will that we have is moral free will, not will that's free from natural law.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: How can we possibly have free will?

Post #62

Post by ttruscott »

DPMartin wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Compassionist]

the free will to adopt any nature or behavior observed of the flesh is human nature, but no one has the choice the be in the Kingdom of God, that is God's choice.
IF this is true then it is by HIS choice some are NOT saved from their sins and are condemned...Yet 1. HE does all for HIS pleasure, 2. HE takes no pleasure in the death, damnation, of anyone, and 3. HE wants all to be saved. Your assertion fails in the light of scripture as false that the choice was HIS as to who was to be saved...it was ours.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Donray
Guru

Post #63

Post by Donray »

Can anyone point out where god says we have free will?

Make it address free will directly and not through some interpretation.

jgh7

Post #64

Post by jgh7 »

Can someone explain the ramifications for humankind if we conclude that we do or don't have free will.

To me, we all know that we are capable of thinking, of weighing options, of making decisions. Some people view this as free will, some don't. And then we get into complex discussions trying to either label it as free will or not.

What are the ramifications for labelling it one way or the other?

Donray
Guru

Post #65

Post by Donray »

Aetixintro you have thus far provided no proof a soul exists. Why say it exists if your have no proof that it does exist?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #66

Post by ttruscott »

jgh7 wrote: Can someone explain the ramifications for humankind if we conclude that we do or don't have free will.
IF we never had a free will but are evil:
1. GOD is the creator of our sin.
2. We are not guilty for any sin we do.

IF we did have a free will and chose to be evii:
1. GOD is not guilty for our sin.
2. We are guilty for the sins we chose.

Which is in the strongest accord with YHWH's attributes and self revelations?

That we had a free will at some time doesn't mean we have it all the time as the addiction to evil overpowers our free will so we must sin. No sinner has a free will except a redeemed and reborn sinner.

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Donray
Guru

Post #67

Post by Donray »

[Replying to post 66 by ttruscott]

Your god punishes us when we use free will and god does not like the choose we made. I think we have limited free will. Many of decisions are based on past things such as where we are born. If you would have been born in Iran you would be a Muslim and not a Christain. If you were born in Chain you most likely would be a Buddhist.

If you were brought up as a black person with a heroin addicted mother and unknown father you would most likely be a gang member and had other made that choice for you. Die or join the gang.

Do you agree with the above?

jgh7

Post #68

Post by jgh7 »

ttruscott wrote:
jgh7 wrote: Can someone explain the ramifications for humankind if we conclude that we do or don't have free will.
IF we never had a free will but are evil:
1. GOD is the creator of our sin.
2. We are not guilty for any sin we do.

IF we did have a free will and chose to be evii:
1. GOD is not guilty for our sin.
2. We are guilty for the sins we chose.

Which is in the strongest accord with YHWH's attributes and self revelations?

That we had a free will at some time doesn't mean we have it all the time as the addiction to evil overpowers our free will so we must sin. No sinner has a free will except a redeemed and reborn sinner.
Redeemed and reborn sinners still sin. How do they have a free will?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #69

Post by ttruscott »

jgh7 wrote:Redeemed and reborn sinners still sin. How do they have a free will?
Based upon Galatians 5:13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love., those reborn can still make choices to either indulge in the flesh or to serve one another in love. What does "called to be free" mean? Free from the enslavement of sin perhaps? What else is there to be free from???

Yet 1. only sin has been suggested as the enslavement of our free will by our Saviour and 2. after being freed from sin, we still sin, Heb 12:5-11, accruing harsh and painful discipline for our failures to chose righteousness and rewards if we do chose righteousness.

So I read the original question to mean: IF we sin again after rebirth, why are we not enslaved to sin all over again needing more repentance, redemption and rebirth...?

I know and understand this question very well having struggled to answer it for many years. I can only say at this time, "By the grace of GOD!" but I do hope someone will teach me the full answer, :)

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #70

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to post 65 by Donray]

IANDS, https://iands.org/, is commonly claiming the soul exists.

My research shows that the soul exists by the usual list of phantom feelings, telepathy/hunches/truthiness (Olsnes-Lea, scientific method, HDM), reincarnation by the millions through history, regeneration (Bubble brain by Mythbusters), various other NDEs (Van Lommel studies) and various other Out-of-body experiences. More?

A possible scientific set-up here for proving the existence of souls:
https://whatiswritten777.blogspot.com/2 ... le-at.html.

Besides, Atheism by moral blindness is certainly not the viable way for life.
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!