Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Great Wall of Trump

Post #1

Post by DanieltheDragon »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01 ... ually.html

So it looks like the Great Wall of Trump might get built except Mexico is likely not going to pay for it. That's right we are :tongue:. Trump aides assure us Mexico will pay for it. Yet that will just be another broken promise. Just billions of more debt to add to the budget with no revenue to pay for it.

Instead of going after the demand for illegal workers we are going to spend billions on a silly wall.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

Kenisaw
Guru

Re: Great Wall of Trump

Post #11

Post by Kenisaw »

2Dbunk wrote: [Replying to post 7 by Kenisaw]
. . . The point I was making is that I find it quite silly when people pretend that one politician is so much more horrible and lying and cheating than another. They are all like that.
No! Trump has gone beyond . . . way, way beyond the pale with his gross disrespect for the sensitivities of MOST Americans -- and the world community. We can only hope his parallels with Hitler moderate. But then, Hitler didn't lie quite so much as you'd think -- he lived up to most of his promises that he wrote about in "Mein Kampf."
I'm confused why someone being disrespectful or insensitive make people so upset. It's the core of the regressive left these days, especially on college campuses. No one can get their feelings hurt, or they can't feel disrespected.

Bull.

If people are that bothered by WORDS, then they need to toughen up. If they don't like it, say something back. Debate and discuss and present better ideas so that the inferior ideas are laughed at and dumped. But whining about having their feelings hurt? Pathetic.

I don't care that feelings get hurt. What I care about is ideas and rational discourse. Trump has actually facilitated some of that through his clown act, so I am least grateful that has occurred. I can't stand Trump or Hillary. They embody the problem of the whole system.

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to Kenisaw]

I think you'll agree that words are the beginnings of human events, especially political events. from what you've indicated, you're not a fan of 'political correctness' in that you don't care what people say. Unless they are patronizing or condescending, words are important . . . and you've used them quite effectively in these forums. But hate speech, bullying speech, threatening speech and fake news is something to complain about (you call it whining -- well, if it's whining I still have a long way to go to where the Whiner-in-Chief has bottomed-out, doing everything in His power to get His way.

Our Whiner-in-Chief has lowered the bar of expectations we can predict for our future mentors and leaders. Impetuous behavior is our new norm. Lying is no longer an option -- it has become essential for succeeding in politics!

As for political correctness, I think Danmark summed it up well a few months ago when he posted the following:
. . . 'political correctness' essentially is nothing more than being considerate of others; considering the other person's point of view. It is obvious that Trump does not care about others, particularly those who are ethnically diverse. What DOES surprise me is that anyone who claims to be a Christian would tout being thoughtless of or inconsiderate to others as some sort of accolade. The essence of Christianity is [or should be] loving others and being considerate of their feelings. When did not caring for others become a virtue?
And later:
Being 'politically correct' is frequently just a matter of being polite or sensitive to others. Trump lies repeatedly, has been outrageously abusive to women in word and attitude. He's said Mexicans are rapists, he's made fun of people with disabilities, actively ridiculing them and has bragged about sexually assaulting women.

To simply call this 'politically incorrect' is like calling murder 'the injudicious firing of a shotgun in the presence of others.'
If words don't mean anything anymore, we're f-----d!
[/b]
What good is truth if its value is not more than unproven, handed-down faith?

One believes things because one is conditioned to believe them. -Aldous Huxley

Fear within the Religious will always be with them ... as long as they are fearful of death.

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #13

Post by Kenisaw »

2Dbunk wrote: [Replying to Kenisaw]

I think you'll agree that words are the beginnings of human events, especially political events. from what you've indicated, you're not a fan of 'political correctness' in that you don't care what people say. Unless they are patronizing or condescending, words are important . . . and you've used them quite effectively in these forums. But hate speech, bullying speech, threatening speech and fake news is something to complain about (you call it whining -- well, if it's whining I still have a long way to go to where the Whiner-in-Chief has bottomed-out, doing everything in His power to get His way.

Our Whiner-in-Chief has lowered the bar of expectations we can predict for our future mentors and leaders. Impetuous behavior is our new norm. Lying is no longer an option -- it has become essential for succeeding in politics!

As for political correctness, I think Danmark summed it up well a few months ago when he posted the following:
. . . 'political correctness' essentially is nothing more than being considerate of others; considering the other person's point of view. It is obvious that Trump does not care about others, particularly those who are ethnically diverse. What DOES surprise me is that anyone who claims to be a Christian would tout being thoughtless of or inconsiderate to others as some sort of accolade. The essence of Christianity is [or should be] loving others and being considerate of their feelings. When did not caring for others become a virtue?
And later:
Being 'politically correct' is frequently just a matter of being polite or sensitive to others. Trump lies repeatedly, has been outrageously abusive to women in word and attitude. He's said Mexicans are rapists, he's made fun of people with disabilities, actively ridiculing them and has bragged about sexually assaulting women.

To simply call this 'politically incorrect' is like calling murder 'the injudicious firing of a shotgun in the presence of others.'
If words don't mean anything anymore, we're f-----d!
[/b]
Hate speech is still freedom of speech. Bullying speech is still freedom of speech. That you and I don't like them doesn't mean that someone can't say those words. And we have every right to comment back, and say things they won't like. A free exchange of ideas is all that matters. I AGREE that we should complain about ideas that we don't like, and statements that we disagree with. But there is a concerted effort in this country, especially in the humanities departments in America, to keep people from saying these things. That is patently wrong. As the old saying does, I don't like what that person is saying, but I'll always defend their right to say it.

All ideas are not equal, and do not deserve equal time. Which ideas are better is of course the point of the debate, but inferior ideas do not deserve respect. Things like Trump's comments on women do not deserve respect, and should be vilified and belittled.

There is a subtle but important difference that I might not have articulated clearly enough as to what I am saying. Words don't hurt people, actions do. If Trump calls Mexicans rapists, that doesn't hurt anyone. If some backwater moron decides to believe that, it still doesn't hurt anyone. But the idea proposed - Mexicans are rapists - is inferior and unworthy, and deserves ample rebuttal and discourse. The idea, should someone find it repugnant, should be attacked.

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #14

Post by Kenisaw »

[Replying to post 12 by 2Dbunk]

Let me ask you a question, about a real case that happened recently. Some kid at a public university wore a cowboy costume to a party hosted by the Student Union association at the school, and was denied entry to that party because the outfit was "disrespectful" to Native Americans.

Is that OK?

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #15

Post by DanieltheDragon »

Kenisaw wrote: [Replying to post 12 by 2Dbunk]

Let me ask you a question, about a real case that happened recently. Some kid at a public university wore a cowboy costume to a party hosted by the Student Union association at the school, and was denied entry to that party because the outfit was "disrespectful" to Native Americans.

Is that OK?
I feel like your leaving out details relevant to the case. Answering one way or the other might be irrelevant without the pertinent details. That being said if you don't like the dress code or code of conduct in your student union perhaps one should apply for a leadership role to change said policies?
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #16

Post by myth-one.com »

DanieltheDragon wrote: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01 ... ually.html

So it looks like the Great Wall of Trump might get built except Mexico is likely not going to pay for it. That's right we are :tongue:. Trump aides assure us Mexico will pay for it. Yet that will just be another broken promise. Just billions of more debt to add to the budget with no revenue to pay for it.

Instead of going after the demand for illegal workers we are going to spend billions on a silly wall.
Another person jumped over the fence and reached the White House doors last night!

What the country desperately needs is a wall around the White House!!

It will be a great wall and Mexico might agree to pay for this one.

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to post 7 by Kenisaw]
Agreed, but that is not the point I was making. The point I was making is that I find it quite silly when people pretend that one politician is so much more horrible and lying and cheating than another. They are all like that.
No, Trump has gone farther than any US presidential candidate (I didn't say "president") ever in dissembling. The bar has been lowered and Blastcat may be right -- anarchy may be the better way. "Kill 'en all?" Harsh and illegal -- I say pen them up with pigs first.
The thing about Trump's many many lies, is that they don't seem to matter to his fans.
deplorable is now an [im]proper noun!
But.. that doesn't mean that the Trump administration wont try to bully Mexico to pay for the wall one way or the other.

I heard that Trump will take all aid money away from Mexico to build the wall. Is that true? How much aid do we give Mexico other than the "War on drugs?"

They aren't going to build a wall. That isn't going to happen.
Contracts are out for bid this month or April for stretches in Calif. and Arizona, as I understand.

After all, there are more ways to skin a CAT.
I know that, being a cat.
My wife is a cat lover and I'm not allowed to use THAT expression in her or the cat's presence. How come you are so demeaning to your breed?
In any case, US has more clout that Mexico. I think if there is enough will, the US can crush just about any other country.
Like Bush/Cheney failed to do in Iraq, We failed to annex ALL of Mexico in 1846 taking only the northern portion of that country. Can you imagine what Mexico would be today if we had done so! And they call us an imperialist country.
When it comes to bully politics, the sword is mightier that the pen.
I would add ". . . the mouth and sword is mightier than the pen." (';)') (':(')
What good is truth if its value is not more than unproven, handed-down faith?

One believes things because one is conditioned to believe them. -Aldous Huxley

Fear within the Religious will always be with them ... as long as they are fearful of death.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #18

Post by JehovahsWitness »

DanieltheDragon wrote: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01 ... ually.html

The bible encouraged Israelites to treat immigrants with kindness.

One day the world will be without borders.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #19

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Except when God encouraged the Israelites to make them permanent slaves.

Perhaps when humans go extinct. Of course by then, it will be too late for humans to learn to treat others humanely.

The unsupported assertion contained in your last phrase adds no value to this discussion. The issue is how to make changes now, not how to ignore this reality by dreaming of some mythological future. That approach will never solve any real issues.

hoiskii

Post #20

Post by hoiskii »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
Immigrants and illegal border violators are not the same.

Right now the world has very few actual borders around several places like North Korea. You can go to Europe and many other places without problem. The problem is that people from poor countries seek particular government guaranteed benefits in more developed countries. If the US opens borders completely, next year we'll have to learn Mandarin and Hindu to get a burger in McDonalds.

For some strange reason, JW did not start in, say, Mongolia....

full disclosure: I am an atheist immigrant who is against illegal immigration, pro abortion, and against 2nd amendment .... and generally pro-Trump .... tough.