Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

justme2
Apprentice

I have a personal attachment to the Old Testament

Post #1

Post by justme2 »

I have a personal attachment to the Old Testament

As I see it, Jesus was not only preaching the bad things of old, he was also preaching redemption. One can be saved; just abide by His instructions, follow His commandments and peace will be your reward.

God’s Chosen People
I have a personal attachment to the Old Testament and the verses contained therein. This includes the verses where the Lord talked directly to the Israelite people. In this one-way discussion where the Lord laid out directives (commandments) for them to follow and the blessing they would get if they followed His suggestions. I took these directives and compared them to historical events (bible verses-&-1947-2019). Personally, I would like to see the Israeli people change their ways by embracing the stranger (Palestinian) and treat them as one of their own, just as the Lord instructed them to do. I truly believe this “example� would create a wave of peace across the middle east.

In closing I want the Israeli’s to embrace the Palestinians as one of their own, dismantle the illegal settlements and change the name of their country from “Israel� to “Palestine�.

I believe God is now judging them for the last time. If they do not ask God for forgiveness and repent for their past deeds; then all will be lost.

I need your help either by helping me or by correcting my misguided view of them.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome whether pro or con.

justme2
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by justme2 »

hellow O:)

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: I have a personal attachment to the Old Testament

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

justme2 wrote: I need your help either by helping me or by correcting my misguided view of them.
If you have accepted that the Biblical stories are true and that they correctly portray the directives of an actual God, then I would agree with you that the modern day "Israelites" are not behaving in a manner that is in harmony with these ancient religious tales.

So from that perspective I can't say that your view is misguided.

However, if you were to ask me if I feel that it's a misguided view to believe that these ancient stories actually had anything to do with an actual God, I would have to say yes, I do believe that this would be a horribly misguided view of reality.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Sojournerofthearth
Apprentice

Re: I have a personal attachment to the Old Testament

Post #4

Post by Sojournerofthearth »

justme2 wrote: I have a personal attachment to the Old Testament

Personally, I would like to see the Israeli people change their ways by embracing the stranger (Palestinian) and treat them as one of their own, just as the Lord instructed them to do. I truly believe this “example� would create a wave of peace across the middle east.
Embracing the stranger? I have a personal attachment to the Old Testament as well. But I'm not certain exactly what that means, "Embracing the stranger."

I'm not entirely convinced that the Palestinians want to share the land. I never really get that impression. But you're not really speaking of embracing as much as you are speaking of prostration before them.

God, in the Old Testament, constantly reminds Israel not to mistreat those from other countries, as they also were strangers in a strange land. However, while God maintains they are to be kind and caring and generous and honest in their dealings with them, there was never a live and let live mentality. God is merciful, and patient and forgiving... make no mistake, though that does not equate to our modern day ideology of tolerance.

Lev_19:33  And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not vex him. 34  But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Deu_10:19  Love ye therefore the stranger: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.

Deu_1:16  And I charged your judges at that time, saying, Hear the causes between your brethren, and judge righteously between every man and his brother, and the stranger that is with him.

There are many verses that indicate that those that dwell in the land of Israel are to be treated with kindness and respect... HOWEVER, there were certain requirements of outsiders who wanted to live in Israel...

Num_15:15  One ordinance shall be both for you of the congregation, and also for the stranger that sojourneth with you, an ordinance for ever in your generations: as ye are, so shall the stranger be before the LORD 16  One law and one manner shall be for you, and for the stranger that sojourneth with you.

Num_15:29  Ye shall have one law for him that sinneth through ignorance, both for him that is born among the children of Israel, and for the stranger that sojourneth among them. 30  But the soul that doeth ought presumptuously, whether he be born in the land, or a stranger, the same reproacheth the LORD; and that soul shall be cut off from among his people.

Deu_5:14  But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.

Deu_16:14  And thou shalt rejoice in thy feast, thou, and thy son, and thy daughter, and thy manservant, and thy maidservant, and the Levite, the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, that are within thy gates.

Deu_17:15  Thou shalt in any wise set him king over thee, whom the LORD thy God shall choose: one from among thy brethren shalt thou set king over thee: thou mayest not set a stranger over thee, which is not thy brother.

The strangers among them had to abide by the same codes and laws that they were under if they wanted to stay there.

So if you want to use the Old Testament as a means in which to govern some sort of peace accord between the Palestinians and the Israelites, then there are some stipulations that you've missed.

Just sayin...

justme2
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by justme2 »

I just watched the movie "Ghost"

It was a real experience (:-