LittlePig
Sage

A Deluge of Evidence for the Flood?

Post #1

Post by LittlePig »

otseng wrote:
goat wrote:
otseng wrote:
LittlePig wrote: And I can't think of any reason you would make the comment you made if you weren't suggesting that the find favored your view of a worldwide flood.
Umm, because simply it's a better explanation? And the fact that it's more consistent with the Flood Model doesn't hurt either. ;)
Except, of course, it isn't consistent with a 'Flood Model', since it isn't mixed in with any animals that we know are modern.
Before the rabbits multiply beyond control, I'll just leave my proposal as a rapid burial. Nothing more than that. For this thread, it can just be a giant mud slide.
Since it's still spring time, let's let the rabbits multiply.

Questions for Debate:

1) Does a Global Flood Model provide the best explanation for our current fossil record, geologic formations, and biodiversity?

2) What real science is used in Global Flood Models?

3) What predictions does a Global Flood Model make?

4) Have Global Flood Models ever been subjected to a formal peer review process?
"Well thanks a lot, Plato." - James ''Sawyer'' Ford
"Don''t flip ya lid." - Ricky Rankin

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Re: great flood - da - proof

Post #1261

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to post 1252 by EarthScienceguy]
Dr.NoGod's and I agree on something about what the Bible says

Hold on. I agree that the bible "says" this ... I just don't believe the event actually happened (notice I said "supposedly" happened). There is more than enough evidence (or lack thereof) to confirm that a global flood 4300 years ago, as described in the bible (or the Bible), did not happen. But I do agree that the tall tale is contained in that book.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #1262

Post by EarthScienceguy »

[Replying to post 1253 by DrNoGods]

Read up on your geology. One day we will have this discussion but there are many pieces to this and we have touched on a few. But I have way to many projects going on right now to get in to this.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #1263

Post by Clownboat »

EarthScienceguy wrote: [Replying to post 1253 by DrNoGods]

Read up on your geology. One day we will have this discussion but there are many pieces to this and we have touched on a few. But I have way to many projects going on right now to get in to this.
Please point us to the geology that you are referring to.
You only need to post a link and if you don't mind, please copy here what you find to be most relevant in it.

Much appreciated.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

justme2
Apprentice

Post #1264

Post by justme2 »

The bible verse does not say that the world was covered in water. The verse says that it rained for forty days and nights.

Genesis 7:4
“For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth.�
8-)

justme2
Apprentice

Post #1265

Post by justme2 »

It is happening before our eyes today--

"Potentially historic" flooding threatens Southern states
Scientists are warning that historic flooding could soon deluge parts of several Southern states along the lower Mississippi River, where floodwaters could persist for several weeks. The flood threat in the South will be discussed Thursday, when the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration releases its 2019 spring outlook.

Experts plan a briefing on their flood forecast at the National Water Center in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Thursday's report is aimed at helping emergency managers and other safety officials to prepare for flooding.
Flooding in Southern states this spring will be "potentially historic," NOAA said in an advisory.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mississipp ... rn-states/

The Midwest floods are going to get much, much worse
An “unprecedented� flood season lies ahead this spring, according to NOAA.
By Umair Irfan Updated Mar 27, 2019, 2:21pm EDT
https://www.vox.com/2019/3/22/18277244/ ... flood-2019

Historic Midwest Flooding Likely to Cost at Least $1.3 Billion in Nebraska Alone; Missouri Towns Ordered to Evacuate
https://weather.com/news/news/2019-03-1 ... owa-rivers
:D

Tcg
Savant

Post #1266

Post by Tcg »

justme2 wrote: The bible verse does not say that the world was covered in water. The verse says that it rained for forty days and nights.

Genesis 7:4
“For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth.�
8-)

You need to read the whole story to get a complete picture. Taken as a whole, we find that Adam and company were on the ark for over a year.

Beyond that, these two verses make it quite clear that the story describes a global flood:
  • Genesis 7:18-19
    18 The waters rose and increased greatly on the earth, and the ark floated on the surface of the water. 19 They rose greatly on the earth, and all the high mountains under the entire heavens were covered.

This is what one would expect for a flood that is claimed to have killed all the land creatures on earth accept those in the ark. A local flood doesn't fit the story. God would have simply told Noah, "I'm gonna need you to take a hike."

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #1267

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to post 1256 by justme2]
The bible verse does not say that the world was covered in water. The verse says that it rained for forty days and nights.

As Tcg pointed out, the bible clearly does describe a global flood covering the highest mountains (Genesis 7:17-20, King James version):

17: And the flood was forty days upon the earth; and the waters increased, and bare up the ark, and it was lift up above the earth.

18 And the waters prevailed, and were increased greatly upon the earth; and the ark went upon the face of the waters.

19 And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered.

20 Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.

24 And the waters prevailed upon the earth an hundred and fifty days.

There is no source for that much water ... it could not possibly have happened on this planet some 4500 years ago, and if something like this did actually happen the evidence for it today would be vast. What the evidence shows, however, is that this kind of global flood never happened. It is a myth.
It is happening before our eyes today--

Are you serious? These are nothing more than news stories of local flooding which happens many times per year in many parts of the world. How can you possibly equate these kinds of small events to a global flood purported to have covered the entire Earth to 15 cubits (around 23 feet) above the top of the highest mountain? This is like people who confuse local weather with global warming and don't understand the difference between weather and climate. You're not making a very convincing argument, and don't appear to have read the full account of the myth.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

Mark Twain

justme2
Apprentice

Post #1268

Post by justme2 »

DrNoGods wrote: [Replying to post 1256 by justme2]
How can you possibly equate these kinds of small events to a global flood purported to have covered the entire Earth to 15 cubits (around 23 feet) above the top of the highest mountain?
The ones who wrote those verses was writing them over 2,000 years ago. No one could have seen the top of the mountains from the land they stood on when writing this. In that time period the human race didn't even know that the earth was round.

It is the meaning and intent that is important. Personally I believe taking these verses literally is failing to see the forest for the trees.

But if one is here to chastise biblical verses then go for it.
:study:

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #1269

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to post 1260 by justme2]
The ones who wrote those verses was writing them over 2,000 years ago. No one could have seen the top of the mountains from the land they stood on when writing this. In that time period the human race didn't even know that the earth was round.

Educated people knew the Earth "was round" about the time the old testament books were written. Pythagoras (6th century BC) and others suspected a spherical Earth from the moon phases, and from observations of ships appearing above the horizon from any direction. Eratosthenes made a decent measurement of the circumference of the Earth in about 240 BC:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthenes

But this was all some 2000 years after the supposed flood of Noah some 4,500 years ago. So whoever first wrote these verses was not alive during the actual event (and would have died during it unless it were Noah, or his wife, or his 3 sons and their wives). So whether the person writing this could have seen the tops of the mountains, or not, isn't relevant ... the mythical flood waters would have dissipated many centuries earlier if the event had actually happened when the bible says it did.
But if one is here to chastise biblical verses then go for it.

It isn't about chastising bible verses, it is about asking whether the event is compatible with modern science and the empirical evidence, and could have actually happened as described in the bible. The answer to that appears to be a very clear NO.
John Paul Jones, 1779

Mark Twain

justme2
Apprentice

Re: A Deluge of Evidence for the Flood?

Post #1270

Post by justme2 »

LittlePig wrote: 1) Does a Global Flood Model provide the best explanation for our current fossil record, geologic formations, and biodiversity?
2) What real science is used in Global Flood Models?
3) What predictions does a Global Flood Model make?
4) Have Global Flood Models ever been subjected to a formal peer review process?
There is nothing in the bible that states "global" flood.
Please stop using that term when referring to biblical accounts/verses

:study: