What is your agenda?

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

What is your agenda?

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

What are you attempting to accomplish by debating in the DC&R Forum?

Let's be straight forward with one another. Nothing said here is to be debated, critiqued, or criticized -- here or elsewhere.

This is discussion only and every point of view is welcome.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Zzyzx »

My objective in debate is to present ideas alternative to religious claims, stories, proselytization and propaganda. For centuries religion ‘had the stage’ – a free hand to expound upon its ideas without opposing voices permitted. Times have changed.

My emphasis is on readers, the thousands and tens of thousands who view our debates – rather than on debate opponents (who I consider helpful in getting ideas across to readers). Opponents are likely to be heavily emotionally committed to their god stories and beliefs; unwilling to alter thoughts and positions when presented with alternative information and sound reasoning.

Among those who read our threads, often without posting, I trust there are people looking for information to answer questions they may have about spirituality, religion, mythology, science, morality, etc. My intent is to provide information for them to consider / evaluate in comparison to the claims and stories (and proselytization and propaganda) put forth by religion and religionists.

I appreciate when Apologists 1) elevate emotion over reasoning and allow emotions to dominate (particularly expression of overt or implied hatred for ‘Atheists’), 2) reject information that contradicts their claims and stories, 3) repeat tired ‘arguments’ that have been thoroughly and repeatedly countered, 4) defend ancient supernatural tales that conflict with what is known of the real world, 5) rail against science, education, and critical / analytical thinking, 6) rely upon threats and promises, 7) condemn Non-Believers as being without morality.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Re: What is your agenda?

Post #3

Post by JJ50 »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]

I just like to state my point of view, I have no agenda as such.

William
Savant

Post #4

Post by William »

The reason I chose to become a member and post on this site has more to do with the structure allowing one to do so without being sanctioned in a manner where one could not.

In that, I have something to say, as we all do, and I have this place to do so.

My agenda to begin with had to do with past experiences on skeptic site where just being a Theist was frowned on and mocked and sanctioned and ganged up on and gagged etc...

Theists sites I had tried also had their own ways in which to make you feel your views were unwelcome.

I wanted a place to test my Theist arguments to see if they could hold up against both non-Theist and Theist arguments, which this site at least affords one the opportunity to do so without sanctioning.

It is a learning curve. So far neither Christian Theist or non-Christian non-Theists have given me anything to doubt my own Theism, and I can say with certainty that interaction with them all have only strengthened my belief that I am on the right path in regards to that.

Sojournerofthearth
Apprentice

Re: What is your agenda?

Post #5

Post by Sojournerofthearth »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]

I find people's views to be interesting. It's sort of people watching, with a view into what is actually going on in their heads. And often the questions and discussions are insightful and thought provoking.

No agenda here. I'm not looking to change anyone's mind. But the discussion does give me an opportunity to see if I can put together an answer that satisfies me... that I can prove... at least to myself that there is a viable answer to the question. It's just a study tool for me. I end up learning a lot.

Soj