Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

historia
Prodigy

God and gods

Post #1

Post by historia »

Stephen F. Roberts wrote:
I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
Questions for debate: Is this quote accurate? Is the difference between the concept of God and the concept of gods simply a difference in number (one vs. many)? When atheists and skeptics combine the two into the short-hand "God(s)," are they making a category error?

William
Savant

Post #61

Post by William »

dio9 wrote: [Replying to William]

wonder no more. there are no species which exist without male /female procreation.

I should have made myself clearer. When I wrote;

I have wondered now and again what images of GOD a species who does not require male/female to procreate, or requires more that 2 others to procreate, would be.

I was thinking more along the lines of a similar evolved species as Humans, which might exist on some other planet and who might contemplate ideas of GOD, forming images as to what their idea of GOD might look like, based upon their particular way of procreating.

Filthy Tugboat
Guru

Post #62

Post by Filthy Tugboat »

dio9 wrote: [Replying to post 58 by Filthy Tugboat]

OK give me an example of one species of creatures that aren't made up of yang and yin members.
There are entire kingdoms of organisms that rely on it exclusively such as Protista and Monera which contain innumerable species. The kingdom Fungi and Plantae rely on it relatively extensively though not completely. And many animals also rely on asexual reproduction in order to procreate. Even hammerhead sharks have been observed procreating via asexual reproduction. There's a few million examples...
Religion feels to me a little like a Nigerian Prince scam. The "offer" is illegitimate, the "request" is unreasonable and the source is dubious, in fact, Nigeria doesn't even have a royal family.

William
Savant

Post #63

Post by William »

[Replying to post 62 by Filthy Tugboat]

But wait there's more!

GOD - her Her great Wisdom - didn't just make human beings either/or. Some are hermaphrodite.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #64

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to William]

life on other planets? really?

dio9
Under Probation

Post #65

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 63 by William]

This discussion is becoming ridiculous.

otseng
Savant

Post #66

Post by otseng »

dio9 wrote: [Replying to post 63 by William]

This discussion is becoming ridiculous.
Moderator Comment

One-liners that do not contribute to the debate are against the rules.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.