Finger in the dike

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Finger in the dike

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

An old tale from Holland has a boy saving the countryside by plugging a hole in a dike with his finger.

The area where I live, the Arkansas River Valley, is currently experiencing river levels well above flood stage. For while, levies (a form of dike) that protect lowland areas held with sandbags being used, in lieu of fingers, to raise and reinforce the most vulnerable areas.

Eventually, however, river level increased enough to over top some sections of the levies. When that happened areas that have not been flooded for decades are under several feet of water.

Damage is widespread among those who have homes, businesses, farms in low areas of cities and countryside. I am not personally affected since my property is well above (150 feet above) river level; however, friends could be displaced. For a time it was feared that bridges crossing the river would be inaccessible since access highway has low spots, even if the bridges themselves were well above water level. In fact, bridges in some not-too-distant places were or are closed.

After a few tense days, water levels are beginning to decline, though still many feet above what is considered flood level. A lot of areas are still inundated.

There were many expressions of ‘thoughts and prayers’ being offered. On a more practical level, a small town nearest my place advertised for volunteers to fill sandbags. The turnout was astonishing, literally hundreds of men, women, and children worked to fill, tie, and move sandbags. Great piles of sand disappeared in a couple days and many thousands of bags were placed where needed. Businesses donated food, snacks, and drinks. The mayor was deeply involved, a county judge was an ardent worker, and the state governor came by to lend moral support – I suggested, “Give that man a shovel� but don’t know if that happened.

It was gratifying to see everyday citizens so heavily involved (and doing more than praying).
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by ttruscott »

I'm curious, what is the religious demographic of this area of the Arkansas River Valley?
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Zzyzx »

ttruscott wrote: I'm curious, what is the religious demographic of this area of the Arkansas River Valley?
Typical Bible Belt -- with a lot of Fundamentalist and Fanatical Christians.

Some seemed to think that praying would influence their God to change 'his' mind about flooding the area -- and would keep the river from rising to record levels. That did not work.

As far as I know there was no check on the religious credentials or preferences of people who worked, but know for sure that one was a Non-Theist.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence