Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Stelar_7
Student

Can god have agency?

Post #1

Post by Stelar_7 »

Assuming the god was omnipotent..

Omnipotence, the ability to do any logically possible thing. The inability to be thwarted.

Such a being could enact anything logically possible, but it would also know the best possible thing in every possible scenario and ramification for eternity. As Omniscience is a subset of omnipotence.

It would be capable of enacting any plan or series of events without error, perfection also being a subset of omnipotence.

So knowing the best possible thing to do, and being able to do the best possible thing, and not being able to get that wrong, where is there any room to make choices?

Can a being incapable of making choices be an agent? Shouldn't we just recognize such a thing would be nothing more than necessity?

William
Savant

Re: Can god have agency?

Post #21

Post by William »

[Replying to post 1]

Stelar_7 Assuming the god was omnipotent..Can god have agency?

William: I think it is possible to have agency in that the agency itself - while representing the creativity of god - is not omnipotent.

By and large such results in the creation of real interactive 'stories' which are role-played by the non-omnipotent agency.

Otherwise there would only ever exist the omnipotent god, who knows everything but creates nothing.

In that, it is reasonable to my thinking, that if I were such a GOD, I would create things in which to lose myself within BECAUSE I know everything will eventually work out alright for me …otherwise, if I knew it would not, I would create nothing.