Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Red Wolf
Apprentice

Spicy or Extra Crispy?

Post #1

Post by Red Wolf »

Spicy or Extra Crispy?

As we all know when Jesus was buried they applied 100 pounds of spices to his corpse according to the KJV. [75 lbs according to some translations]
Quote:
John 19:39-40 (King James Version)
39And there came also Nicodemus, which at the first came to Jesus by night, and brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about an hundred pound weight.

40Then took they the body of Jesus, and wound it in linen clothes with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is to bury.

So Joseph of Arimathea, and Nicodemus, wrapped Jesus' corpse in linen and a whole lot of spices.

A couple of days later the women went back to the tomb to spice him up again.
I wonder...wasn't he spicy enough with 100 pounds? Why did the women need more spice?
Was it their intention to unwrap Jesus' corpse, apply more spice, and then rewrap Jesus' corpse? Remember, Mary Magdalene was present when Joseph of Arimathea, and Nicodemus, originally spiced up Jesus' corpse. Wasn't 100 pounds of spice enough? Doesn't it seem far-fetched for the women to unwrap, spice, and rewrap, after the corpse already was bloated with 100 pounds of spice?
Or was this just a literary device to have someone go to the tomb and discover the empty tomb, revealing that this story is just a masterpiece of fiction?
Doesn't this prove the resurrection tale is just fiction?

Red Wolf
Apprentice

Post #11

Post by Red Wolf »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 5 by Red Wolf]

HOW ARE WE TO UNDERSTAND ACTS 2:27
Acts 2:27(King James Version)
Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
Basically we can understand the expression to mean Jesus body wouldnt decay to dust.

Indeed it seems God disposed of Jesus the physical body of before it began to decay. We don't know if this was within minutes or hours of its last being viewed or whether (like modern day refrigeration processes) he simply preserved it for witnesses until he was ready to dispose of it, but in any case the promise was that he would not allow the body to decompose* ​—Lu 24:3-6; Joh 20:2-9.

* Just because Jesus was resurrected after three days it doesn't mean his body was left in the grave three days

Do you have a Scripture attesting to ""God disposed of Jesus the physical body of before it began to decay. ""

Red Wolf
Apprentice

More Spices Stuff....

Post #12

Post by Red Wolf »

John 19:39 King James Version (KJV)
39 And there came also Nicodemus, which at the first came to Jesus by night, and brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about an hundred pound weight.

Last night when I went to bed I was thinking about those spices.
On one of the websites it said that in ancient times, Myrrh was worth its weight in Gold. Myrrh was one of the gifts that the Queen of Sheba brought to King Solomon, and one of the gifts that the Magi brought to the baby Jesus at Christmas.

If half of the 75 pounds of spices was Myrrh, [37 pounds]....and you do the Math....it figures to be about a half a million dollars US worth of Myrrh, if myrrh is valued at today's gold price of $900.00 an ounce. { I wrote this years ago when Gold was only 900.00 per ounce. Today Gold is about $1500.00 per ounce}

$500,000.00 slobbered on a corpse to make it smell good? Ridiculous!

Just more proof that this story is fiction.

Menotu
Sage

Re: More Spices Stuff....

Post #13

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 12 by Red Wolf]
$500,000.00 slobbered on a corpse to make it smell good? Ridiculous!
Money does, indeed, talk as they say. And sure it seems odd to many (including myself) but some people don't care about such things. I care, as does people like Creflo Dollar. But for some, it's not that important.
Look at the more recent cults in America - all the craziness those people endured for false promises.
Look at how much money Scientologist fork over for their beliefs over time - multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The point is just because it seems like a lot - to the point of being cray cray - doesn't, in of itself, mean it's not true.

Red Wolf
Apprentice

Re: Spicy or Extra Crispy?

Post #14

Post by Red Wolf »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Red Wolf wrote: Doesn't it seem far-fetched for the women to unwrap, spice, ...with 100 pounds of spice?
Historical records show that the more respected an individual was, the larger the quantity of these costly materials used in the burial perpetration. Josephus records that forty pounds of spices were used at the funeral of the highly respected elder R. Gamaliel (Antiquities of the Jews, Book 17c.8, s.3)

Gamaliel, though respected was not held as a prophet.

Antiquities of the Jews, Book 17c.8, s.3)
3. After this was over, they prepared for his funeral: it being Archelaus’s care that the procession to his father’s sepulchre should be very sumptuous. Accordingly he brought out all his ornaments, to adorn the pomp of the funeral. The body was carried upon a golden bier, embroidered with very precious stones, of great variety: and it was covered over with purple, as well as the body it self: he had a diadem upon his head: and above it a crown of gold. He also had a scepter in his right hand. About the bier were his sons, and his numerous relations. Next to these was the soldiery; distinguished according to their several countries and denominations. And they were put into the following order. First of all went his guards: then the band of Thracians: and after them the Germans: and next the band of Galatians: every one in their habiliments of war. And behind these marched the whole army, in the same manner as they used to go out to war: and as they used to be put in array by their muster masters, and centurions. These were followed by five hundred of his domesticks, carrying spices. So they went eight furlongs (8) to Herodium. For there, by his own command, he was to be buried. And thus did Herod end his life.

This reference you cited was about Herod's funeral and and it says nothing about 40 pounds of spices.

Red Wolf
Apprentice

Post #15

Post by Red Wolf »

[Replying to post 13 by Menotu]

If the early Christians listened to Jesus' words, $500,000.00 would have cured the problems of poverty in the Holy Land.

Menotu
Sage

Post #16

Post by Menotu »

Red Wolf wrote: [Replying to post 13 by Menotu]

If the early Christians listened to Jesus' words, $500,000.00 would have cured the problems of poverty in the Holy Land.
Seems to me they weren't as concerned with money as with doing 'right' things.
Well, at least not until the whole 'exchanging money' incident I suppose.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #17

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Red Wolf wrote:
Do you have a Scripture attesting to ""God disposed of Jesus the physical body of before it began to decay. ""

I just cited the support for my conclusion. The conclusion is arrived at by my exerting my critical thinking skills.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

onewithhim
Savant

Post #18

Post by onewithhim »

Red Wolf wrote: But the spices raise other questions.
I searched the internet to try and find reasons why spices would be applied to a body.
I found out that spices are applied to a corpse to reduce the odor from the corruption of the flesh. But Jesus expected to only be three days in the tomb. He expected to resurrect and that is what he said. If his followers believed Jesus and believed he would only be three days in the grave, why bother with spices to retard decomposition and reduce the smell of corruption of the flesh? Doesn't something smell fishy about Jesus supposed resurrection?

Peter used the following Scripture to describe Jesus and his resurrection.
Quote:
Acts 2:27(King James Version)
Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

If Peter was correct ...why were the spices necessary?
Peter understood this only later. The disciples as a whole didn't really get it. They were very sad when he died and weren't really expecting him to come back to life. They didn't understand what he had told them about rising again. The women fully believed that he would need the extra spices.

Wootah
Savant

Post #19

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 9 by JehovahsWitness]

Of course his body, being fully man, decayed at whatever rate is normal for a dead person in that tomb with those spices and wraps would be. Why would it go anywhere?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #20

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 9 by JehovahsWitness]

Of course his body, being fully man, decayed at whatever rate is normal for a dead person in that tomb with those spices and wraps would be. ...

What do you mean "of course" ? There is no "of course" when we are talking about a miracle. "Of course" is just presupposing the unproven truth that naturalism is the only reality, a worldview which I do not happen hold to. The only "of course" in my opinion is that what God says will happen (or not happen) will come to reflect reality.

If an omnipotent God wishes a body would will not rot... the said body "of course" will not rot.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8