Should the Bible be interpreted literally?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

captaincaustic
Student

Post #1

Post by captaincaustic »

One problem that poses itself time and again for Christians is the question of whether or not the Bible should be interpreted literally. This is important because how people view the Bible is maybe the most important foundation of their faith or lack there of.

melikio
Guru

The "Special Enforcer" mindset certainly exists.

Post #11

Post by melikio »

With God, there is no such thing as "God's special enforcers of righteousness and conformity in this world", but just a witness of God or spreader of God's command to his fellow men. No one will act as leader of pastor because such post belongs only to the Lord. See this one from the Lord God Jesus Christ.
Take a look around this site (and others; especially on the subject of homosexuality), and you will see what I mean.

I know Jesus wasn't like MANY of the people who today identify with being "Christian"; those people who if they but had the literal power to do so, WOULD force their "Christianity" upon others.

And although you gave a verse which kind of points back to God having "authority" over others, many will dig up other verses which support the notion that they ARE the "enforcer" types that I've tried to describe. (Seems like a never-ending battle.)
...just a witness of God or spreader of God's command to his fellow men...
Have you considered just how FAR some people take this concept? I've seen Christians not just "wanting" to control, but actively taking measures to IMPOSE their morality upon others. I know that isn't "right", but I've seen it so much (especially with the religious fundamentalists), that it cannot be ignored.

Everything I've read about Jesus, looks very different from the "Christianity" many would try to offer others. Very little unconditional love, and lots rules.

-Mel-
"It is better to BE more like Jesus and assume to speak less for God." -MA-

adlemi
Apprentice

Re: The "Special Enforcer" mindset certainly exist

Post #12

Post by adlemi »

melikio wrote:
melikio wrote:]Take a look around this site (and others; especially on the subject of homosexuality), and you will see what I mean.
I know what you mean and I do not contradict same but just pointing out to you that it is not so should you place yourself directly under the headship of the Lord Jesus Christ himself, alive and real. Don't mind them but mind yourself coming directly to Jesus Christ.
melikio wrote:]I know Jesus wasn't like MANY of the people who today identify with being "Christian"; those people who if they but had the literal power to do so, WOULD force their "Christianity" upon others.
Then seek Jesus himself for your own good and salvation. You don't have to see me nor to be a member of our group for we are not commanded by the Lord to solicit membership but just to tell all to come to the Lord God directly and have the Lord God be their Good Pastor and Teacher in their actual life.
melikio wrote:]And although you gave a verse which kind of points back to God having "authority" over others, many will dig up other verses which support the notion that they ARE the "enforcer" types that I've tried to describe. (Seems like a never-ending battle.)
Yes it's true and I agree with you on this one. But the safest thing to do is to ignore them and let yourself seek God as to how God does really exist. The bible is not the Lord God and it is only a book. We must put God above all things even to the bible.
melikio wrote:]Have you considered just how FAR some people take this concept? I've seen Christians not just "wanting" to control, but actively taking measures to IMPOSE their morality upon others. I know that isn't "right", but I've seen it so much (especially with the religious fundamentalists), that it cannot be ignored.
People are really voracious and greedy in material things. power, fame, and wealth. Vengeance is with the Lord God as faith in God is with the believers. Just concentrate on talking to the Lord God and never let yourself be bothered by them. Ask and seek God's help to come to pass to these things which you cannot ignore. All these things will come to pass and the glory of the Lord God together with the righteous will stand forever in the kingdom of God, hence keep yourself busy on how to posses this heavenly things for you to enjoy with the Lord in eternity.
melikio wrote:]Everything I've read about Jesus, looks very different from the "Christianity" many would try to offer others. Very little unconditional love, and lots rules.
Hence, focus your attention to the reality of the existence of the Lord God himself and refrain from all these filthy rugs around you.

captaincaustic
Student

Post #13

Post by captaincaustic »

With God, there is no such thing as "God's special enforcers of righteousness and conformity in this world", but just a witness of God or spreader of God's command to his fellow men. No one will act as leader of pastor because such post belongs only to the Lord. See this one from the Lord God Jesus Christ.
This idea is good and works in theory, but the problem is that people are, by nature, tied to the notion that their views and ideas are somehow better than others (for pride, power, or still other reasons). With this want to express one's own ideas and interpretations, it is hard to picture everyone listening directly to God and not trying to force their ideas on others.

adlemi
Apprentice

Post #14

Post by adlemi »

captaincaustic wrote:
This idea is good and works in theory, but the problem is that people are, by nature, tied to the notion that their views and ideas are somehow better than others (for pride, power, or still other reasons). With this want to express one's own ideas and interpretations, it is hard to picture everyone listening directly to God and not trying to force their ideas on others.
What you're saying is true only for those people who are not under the direct tutelage of the Lord God himself. I am talking to you via our own personal experience with the Lord God Jesus Christ and this is no theory at all but actual experience with God today.

melikio
Guru

Love = Value

Post #15

Post by melikio »

What you're saying is true only for those people who are not under the direct tutelage of the Lord God himself. I am talking to you via our own personal experience with the Lord God Jesus Christ and this is no theory at all but actual experience with God today.
But I have to ask: What is the tutelage-test?

There are MANY who claim to be hear and doing God's will (according to THEIR belief or interpretation of what that is).

There can be no peace between human beings, unless grace, free will and love are valued more than any religious "rules" or "beliefs". There are those who (for whatever reasons) DO FORCE their religious views/interpretations upon others.

I understand loving God (if you believe) with all that you are, and loving others as you love yourself. But pushing religion around without grace and mercy to mitigate it, is a sure recipe for all of the arguments and disputes we see in this world today. Love, is the ONLY thing I know that can really help consistently, to keep people from stepping on others (even inadvertently).

Religion without LOVE (1Cor13), isn't very valuable or worthwhile for those interested in living this life.

-Mel-

adlemi
Apprentice

Re: Love = Value

Post #16

Post by adlemi »

melikio wrote:
But I have to ask: What is the tutelage-test?

There are MANY who claim to be hear and doing God's will (according to THEIR belief or interpretation of what that is).

There can be no peace between human beings, unless grace, free will and love are valued more than any religious "rules" or "beliefs". There are those who (for whatever reasons) DO FORCE their religious views/interpretations upon others.

I understand loving God (if you believe) with all that you are, and loving others as you love yourself. But pushing religion around without grace and mercy to mitigate it, is a sure recipe for all of the arguments and disputes we see in this world today. Love, is the ONLY thing I know that can really help consistently, to keep people from stepping on others (even inadvertently).

Religion without LOVE (1Cor13), isn't very valuable or worthwhile for those interested in living this life.

-Mel-
There is no such thing as tutelage-test with God. All you have to do is call on unto God true to heart and true to your soul and put all your trust and confidence in God and ask God to be the only Good Pastor and Teacher of your life with respect to knowing God and knowing other things and God will come in to your life. Your own wisdom at the moment will be your number one enemy in knowing the truth about God.

melikio
Guru

No.

Post #17

Post by melikio »

There is no such thing as tutelage-test with God.
I'm not talking about testing "God", to be very clear; I'm pointing out that other human beings need to be tested period. There needs to be a way for people to know what can be good and bad about "religion". And there needs to be a way for people to define reasonable limits as they apply to those who do practice any given religion.
All you have to do is call on unto God true to heart and true to your soul and put all your trust and confidence in God and ask God to be the only Good Pastor and Teacher of your life with respect to knowing God and knowing other things and God will come in to your life. Your own wisdom at the moment will be your number one enemy in knowing the truth about God.
I KNOW what personal faith is; I have practiced trusting only in God, for most of my life. Consequently, I know how "faith" works in MY life. Even so, I have had the religion of others imposed upon me many more times than I can count; it is THAT which I'm addressing. And in that, I have responded to the question posed in the OP:
My answer was/is "NO"; the Bible should not necessarily be interpreted literally. I've seen far too many people hurt or outright dehumanized by that.

-Mel-

adlemi
Apprentice

Re: No.

Post #18

Post by adlemi »

melikio wrote:
There is no such thing as tutelage-test with God.
melikio wrote:I'm not talking about testing "God", to be very clear; I'm pointing out that other human beings need to be tested period. There needs to be a way for people to know what can be good and bad about "religion". And there needs to be a way for people to define reasonable limits as they apply to those who do practice any given religion.
I know you're not and still there is no such thing with God because the Lord God knows what is best for you and all you have to do is to placed yourself under the direct guidance and care of God himself, not to any religious denominations headed by men pastors nor to any membership of such groups. God himself will be the One to teach you what to do in your life for you to obey God's will.
All you have to do is call on unto God true to heart and true to your soul and put all your trust and confidence in God and ask God to be the only Good Pastor and Teacher of your life with respect to knowing God and knowing other things and God will come in to your life. Your own wisdom at the moment will be your number one enemy in knowing the truth about God.
melikio wrote:I KNOW what personal faith is; I have practiced trusting only in God, for most of my life. Consequently, I know how "faith" works in MY life. Even so, I have had the religion of others imposed upon me many more times than I can count; it is THAT which I'm addressing. And in that, I have responded to the question posed in the OP:
Then let it be heard and seen from your mouth and from your deeds that God is always above all things in your whole life even to the bible and religion that you are talking about.
melikio wrote:
My answer was/is "NO"; the Bible should not necessarily be interpreted literally. I've seen far too many people hurt or outright dehumanized by that.
Do you agree that we can learn the real meaning of the passages in the bible only from the Lord God Jesus Christ himself?

melikio
Guru

How to Prove

Post #19

Post by melikio »

Well... I would agree that LOVE is the most effective catalyst for good I've ever known.

I don't think that the "Bible" is necessarily the key to knowing and doing God's will.

And without "love", I really don't see how anyone could know Jesus, or prove to anyone else that they are truly followers of Him.

-Mel-

adlemi
Apprentice

Re: How to Prove

Post #20

Post by adlemi »

melikio wrote:Well... I would agree that LOVE is the most effective catalyst for good I've ever known.

I don't think that the "Bible" is necessarily the key to knowing and doing God's will.

And without "love", I really don't see how anyone could know Jesus, or prove to anyone else that they are truly followers of Him.

-Mel-
Seems foggy all around.