Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Virgin Detector

Post #1

Post by POI »

God looks to instruct the following:

"Now kill all the boys and all the women who have slept with a man. Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves."

1. How exactly did the soldiers know which girls were virgins?
2. Also, why did God tell the soldiers to only spare virgin girls?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Miles
Savant

Re: Virgin Detector

Post #11

Post by Miles »

Purple Knight wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:00 pm
Miles wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:46 pmBy making sure their hymen is intact.
Yep. They probably stuck their finger in there.
Actually, back in Biblical times it amounted to finding blood on the bed sheets (Deuteronomy 22)

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by Purple Knight »

Miles wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:22 am
Actually, back in Biblical times it amounted to finding blood on the bed sheets (Deuteronomy 22)
Well, yes, after you've, uhm... tested the merchandise. All of this is very disgusting, either way.

POI
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by POI »

Miles wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:22 am

Who says the Bible is not meant to be a science book? :) The next time a Christian tells me this, I'll happily point them to Deut. 22 ;)

All kidding aside, I'm really awaiting a believer's input... My point being, God would be the only true compass on instructing the true virgins. God would already know that broken hymens do not necessitate sexual intercourse. Or maybe not, ala Deut. 22?

So if God must magically intervene, so the soldiers can only spare the actual virgins, why not also magically eliminate the unwanted opponent for them as well? Seems odd that God is there to only sprinkle in a little magic, here and there...

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by nobspeople »

POI wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:16 pm God looks to instruct the following:

"Now kill all the boys and all the women who have slept with a man. Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves."

1. How exactly did the soldiers know which girls were virgins?
2. Also, why did God tell the soldiers to only spare virgin girls?
Good questions. Personally, I'd wonder why this is such an issue for God? Surely, he has better, more important with which things to keep himself busy?
To me, this sounds more like a rule from a horny, anti-gay straight man (likely dealing with his own sexuality) than any deity.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

POI
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by POI »

Bringing back an oldie, but a goodie. I do not think one believer engaged here. Believers, do you have any valid answers to the debate questions? If not, I'm going to then logically conclude that the term 'virgins' is a code word for 'young hotties.'

In essence, until further notice, the passage reads as follows:

"Now kill all the boys and all the women who have slept with a man. Only the young girls who are <hot> may live; you may keep them for yourselves."

The Nice Centurion
Guru

Post #16

Post by The Nice Centurion »

POI wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:19 pm
But the thing is... God would already know that a busted hymen does not necessarily constitute a virgin. Hence, if God helped them sort out all the true virgins, by magic, then just magically poof the competitor out of existence... Seems quite superfluous to require the soldiers to fight God's battle, with only slight sprinkles of magic. (i.e.) Assuring they win, aiding in their detection of true virgins, etc.?
Biblical god scared of Iron!
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=KJV

Biblical god also scared of cömpetitor gods!

So why should be able to "poof" anything?
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

POI
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by POI »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:45 am
But the thing is... God would already know that a busted hymen does not necessarily constitute a virgin. Hence, if God helped them sort out all the true virgins, by magic, then just magically poof the competitor out of existence... Seems quite superfluous to require the soldiers to fight God's battle, with only slight sprinkles of magic. (i.e.) Assuring they win, aiding in their detection of true virgins, etc.?

You are right. It's likely just another made up story, or, a story where these folk thought a God was one their side helping but were simply mistaken. Add it to the list, I guess.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #18

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I have a theory.... there is an evolved instinct of tribal groups to spread their genes. The rule is - kill the men, take the women. This....I theorise...manifests in everything from religious exclusivism ("we can marry and convert your girls, but you can't even date ours") to the meme of consorting with exotic maidens on yr travels. From the use of slave girls to puttin' it about without getting hooked.

The female instinct is even more interesting, but off the topic.

So the idea of the Biblical thumbs up to the racial encroachment instinct (1) is the genocide-racism instinct given (like the related enslavery instinct and harem/suppression of women instinct) behind trying to secure virgins to ensure the kids are yours. I won't get into the examination but rather suggest that the idea is to take only girls so young that it's a fair bet they are still virgina. In any case, you have eliminated the rival tribe and their genes and taken their land, possessions and women and that's all that matters.

Now I might mention when some Mormons came to my door and I "granted them consideration of their fallacious doctrines" (Van Gulik Judge Dee story) and first crack out of the box there was a vision of a 'virgin. As I said when they came back and I listed the problems I had with the story 'Did she have a sign around her neck?' He snarled 'I wouldn't have wasted my time' while snatching the book out of my hands. I have NEVER given Mormons a scrap of my time or credit since them, no matter how much they smile and put on the Nice Guy act. They are as nastily tribal as all the others when they aren't getting it their own way.

It's like the incest taboo, friends. How do the chimps and monkeys know? They never read the Bible. It's a genetic survival trait as inbreeding corrupts the genes. Strangely, the alpha pair instinct leads to royal inbreeding that is notorious from Tutankamen to the Hapsburgs and somehow the incest taboo was sidelined as much as possible (even though it was an elephant in the room and still is) for royalty to maintain purity and power.

We have the data, folks, but we prefer (like the startrek meme) to let instinct (emotion) drive us rather than understand ourselves (pointy -eared logic). We have the information and capacity to understand all these evolved instincts, chums, but we won't do it. We approach behavior from a moral (even religious) view and regard even taking a rational view of emotion and morality as somehow sinful.

(1) found in animals, too,so it's evolutionary, without even fretting about whether it's God's doing, Satan's corruption or God 'going along with the culture of the time'...it's really religious cope to try to explain away this Bronze-age morality, friends...

The Nice Centurion
Guru

Post #19

Post by The Nice Centurion »

POI wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:37 am
The Nice Centurion wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:45 am

You are right. It's likely just another made up story, or, a story where these folk thought a God was one their side helping but were simply mistaken. Add it to the list, I guess.
Back then the omnipotent god, "who just should poof", was not yet invented.
Back then the Jews were anything but sole monotheists. That is a fairy tale.

There is a further reason to seek out for mating the enemy rather virgins;
To avoid possibility of gender sickness!
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"