Suicide

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Suzy
Apprentice

Suicide

Post #1

Post by Suzy »

I have excellent health and a long way to go yet before I jump of this mortal coil. :|
But I am going to finish my own life when or if my life is no longer enjoyable, no longer worth living and when I know it will never get better. For instance chronic pain and knowing it will get worse with no hope of relief from drugs. This can happen at any time in life so I have already thought of it. [Yes, I know I’m weird]

I am an atheist so my logic tells me that death itself is O.K. [but not necessarily getting there] I was not here for millions of years before I was born and I was fine with that. It was a breeze!

A point I should mention here is the means used to ‘end it all’ I will keep that to myself for obvious reasons but it will be painless and 100% successful. [Not jumping under a train because I am a coward and also someone has to clear all the mess up]

So to the point and I would like your views on it. What about our love ones. Some say it’s selfish to take your own life because of what you do to them. I say it’s selfish of them if they don’t let you go if you are suffering.
Me being me I have already cleared it with my family [all atheists] so I am good to go. :)

kayky
Prodigy

Post #2

Post by kayky »

Assisted suicide is a big issue in the US and is currently illegal. Medical technology has advanced to the point that we keep people alive long past what nature would have allowed. My father died of Parkinson's Disease. He lay in a semi-vegetative state with a feeding tube down his throat for two years before he finally died. It was certainly not a dignified death, and he would not have wanted it that way. I think there are situations where doctor-assisted suicide is justified. But just going off and doing it on your own? I think that's a bad idea. You can never be sure that you aren't simply going through a depressive episode.

YahDough
Under Probation

Re: Suicide

Post #3

Post by YahDough »

Suzy wrote: I have excellent health and a long way to go yet before I jump of this mortal coil. :|
But I am going to finish my own life when or if my life is no longer enjoyable, no longer worth living and when I know it will never get better. For instance chronic pain and knowing it will get worse with no hope of relief from drugs. This can happen at any time in life so I have already thought of it. [Yes, I know I’m weird]

I am an atheist so my logic tells me that death itself is O.K. [but not necessarily getting there] I was not here for millions of years before I was born and I was fine with that. It was a breeze!

A point I should mention here is the means used to ‘end it all’ I will keep that to myself for obvious reasons but it will be painless and 100% successful. [Not jumping under a train because I am a coward and also someone has to clear all the mess up]

So to the point and I would like your views on it. What about our love ones. Some say it’s selfish to take your own life because of what you do to them. I say it’s selfish of them if they don’t let you go if you are suffering.
Me being me I have already cleared it with my family [all atheists] so I am good to go. :)

If your suicide mentality is to escape eminent suffering, then your logic fails. You have falsely assumed that death brings oblivion to consciousness and an end to both joy and suffering. While you may consider my statement an opinion, I will also defend it as truth. We have a soul with a consciousness that only God can destroy.

I think it would be better to try to make peace with God before you die than to vainly try to escape God's judgment/justice through suicide. :)

Suzy
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by Suzy »

YahDough wrote:
Suzy wrote: I have excellent health and a long way to go yet before I jump of this mortal coil. :|

If your suicide mentality is to escape eminent suffering, then your logic fails. You have falsely assumed that death brings oblivion to consciousness and an end to both joy and suffering. While you may consider my statement an opinion, I will also defend it as truth. We have a soul with a consciousness that only God can destroy.

I think it would be better to try to make peace with God before you die than to vainly try to escape God's judgment/justice through suicide. :)

I thank god [with a small g] that I am an atheist/realist so I am free of this nonsense.
You say “if my suicide mentality is to escape eminent suffering� Where in my post did I say anything about escaping eminent suffering?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by McCulloch »

YahDough wrote: If your suicide mentality is to escape eminent suffering, then your logic fails. You have falsely assumed that death brings oblivion to consciousness and an end to both joy and suffering. While you may consider my statement an opinion, I will also defend it as truth. We have a soul with a consciousness that only God can destroy.
That is really a wonderful thing to hear! It is so rare that believers in the afterlife do this. I eagerly look forward to seeing you defend your statement as truth. I do so much want not to miss your defense of this statement, that I have created a separate debate thread just for it. http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... hp?t=23202 =D> \:D/ :dance2: :dance:
YahDough wrote: I think it would be better to try to make peace with God before you die than to vainly try to escape God's judgment/justice through suicide. :)
There was no mention made of evading God's judgement or God's justice with regard to suicide. The argument was made that suicide may be a valid ending of a life that, in the opinion of the person living that life, has no more value. We all will die sometime and why should a person be subjected to an end period of life that consists entirely of pain and misery if he does not wish it?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

YahDough
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by YahDough »

Suzy wrote:
YahDough wrote:

I thank god [with a small g] that I am an atheist/realist so I am free of this nonsense.
You say “if my suicide mentality is to escape eminent suffering� Where in my post did I say anything about escaping eminent suffering?

You wrote "But I am going to finish my own life when or if my life is no longer enjoyable". That certainly implies wanting or trying to "escape eminent suffering".

What do you consider the dynamics of a life that is "no longer enjoyable"?

Baz
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Baz »

I have enjoyed my life (still do) but I would rather die five years before I was incapable of maintaining myself than five days after.
Knowing when is the best time and having the bottle to do something about it is the problem.

\"Give me a good question over a good answer anyday.\"

Suzy
Apprentice

Post #8

Post by Suzy »

YahDough wrote:
Suzy wrote:
YahDough wrote:

You wrote "But I am going to finish my own life when or if my life is no longer enjoyable". That certainly implies wanting or trying to "escape eminent suffering".

Yahdough seemed to be going on about suffering going on after death and I was referring to that although as I read it again I see your point.

What do I consider the dynamics of a life that is "no longer enjoyable"?.......not enjoyable. If I am not enjoying life with no hope of life improving then why go on? Its simplicity itself to me. Not to you?

YahDough
Under Probation

Post #9

Post by YahDough »

Suzy wrote:
YahDough wrote:
Suzy wrote:
YahDough wrote:

Yahdough seemed to be going on about suffering going on after death and I was referring to that although as I read it again I see your point.

What do I consider the dynamics of a life that is "no longer enjoyable"?.......not enjoyable. If I am not enjoying life with no hope of life improving then why go on? Its simplicity itself to me. Not to you?

Not to me. Suffering is an important part of my sanctification process. Since believers have the promise of everlasting life, there is no way to avoid the joys and sufferings of life, both now and forever. Those are the dynamics of existence. Suicide only brings death to the body. The justice of God requires the judgment of the soul, the essence of consciousness.

I think the best we can do is to have God's grace in the knowledge that Christ will bring us through the hard parts of life. :)

Suzy
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by Suzy »

Suzy wrote:
YahDough wrote:
Suzy wrote:
YahDough wrote:

You highlight one of the differences between theists and atheists.
From my point of view as an atheist I see a theist going through suffering for nothing whereas I get to avoid the suffering. Another advantage to being an athist. :)