A Two-Part Question for JWs about Matthew 24:14

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Skeptical
Apprentice

A Two-Part Question for JWs about Matthew 24:14

Post #1

Post by Skeptical »

This question is primarily asked to JWs, but anyone with a Bible-based view may participate in this discussion. But my two-fold question is: According to Matthew 24:14:
14 And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations,+ and then the end will come.
a) What exactly was the good news of the Kingdom that was preached in the first century CE?
b) Since Jesus was referring to all the inhabited earth during the first century, what "end" was he referring to?

And the reason why I ask these questions is because I understand that JWs have a different interpretation of what the gospel or good news is compared to other Christians. Also, since the inhabited earth during the first century went beyond the Roman province of Judea and the city of Jerusalem, what concern would "the end" be for Christians living in other regions of the inhabited earth? (Colossians 1:23)

Skeptical
Apprentice

Re: A Two-Part Question for JWs about Matthew 24:14

Post #21

Post by Skeptical »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:51 pm
Skeptical wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:55 pm ... some of the "inspired" Bible writers thought that
This is a debate forum; would you provide a bible a reference to support your clam.?
There are other scriptures that I recall, but I had to look for them such as:

1 Corinthians 1:7
Also, I just did a search for more verses, and it's clear to see from these verses that there was obviously a first century perceptive on them, even though people have a tendency to view things from their own perspective and from their own point of view.
Philippians 3:20
Titus 2:13
Jude 1:21
1 Peter 4:7
Titus 2:11–14
James 5:7
1 Thessalonians 1:9-10
1 Peter 1:13

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #22

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Does Paul's commentary at 1 Cor 15: 51-52; 1 Thess 4:16-17 indicate he believed that first century Christians would not die before christ's return?
viewtopic.php?p=752214#p752214
For more on ghis topic please go to other posts related to...

MESSIANIC PROPHECY, LAST DAYS and ...THE SECOND COMING *
*The Return of Christ
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri May 26, 2023 9:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #23

Post by Skeptical »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:52 pm
Skeptical wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:20 pm
Yeah, but the known world went beyond Jerusalem and the Roman province of Judea.

Yes... So? Do you think you could see your way to writing in a sentence or two ( in your own words) what your point is?
Well, in the OP I asked:
Also, since the inhabited earth during the first century went beyond the Roman province of Judea and the city of Jerusalem, what concern would "the end" be for Christians living in other regions of the inhabited earth?
Therefore, since JWs believe that the only first century application for "the end" was the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 CE, all other evidence shows that this wasn't the only application of it. Meaning that first century Christians had a first century expectation of the end of the world and the second coming of Jesus.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #24

Miles wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:33 pm
Curious: What is your Biblical source?

ISAIAH 9:6 NIV

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace

[ * ]GOVERNMENT : A government is the system or group of people governing an organized community - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government
RELATED POSTS

Are we to understand the Kingdom to be a LITERAL government that will rule over this literal planet earth?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 30#p865630

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

HEAVEN , GOD'S KINGDOM and ... THE 144, 000
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri May 26, 2023 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #25

Post by Skeptical »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:02 pm
Does Paul's commentary at 1 Cor 15: 51-52; 1 Thess 4:16-17 indicate he believed that first century Christians would not die before christ's return?
viewtopic.php?p=752214#p752214
Actually, I was working on a thread about 1 Cor 15 where we can explore that topic further, however, to give you an answer to your question right now, I would simply say that is eisegesis on JWs part.

But I just launched that thread: viewtopic.php?t=40700

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #26

Skeptical wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:57 pm.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:43 pmIf they listened to Jesus explanation they would know that they were living at "the end" of the Jewish temple based system (and were to take specific actions to survive that "end")
But why would first century Christians who lived outside of Jerusalem and the Roman province of Judea take specific actions to survive that "end"? That doesn't make sense.

It makes perfect sense to me, what part of what I said are you having difficulty making sense of?

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #27

Post by Skeptical »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:26 pm
Skeptical wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:57 pm.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:43 pmIf they listened to Jesus explanation they would know that they were living at "the end" of the Jewish temple based system (and were to take specific actions to survive that "end")
But why would first century Christians who lived outside of Jerusalem and the Roman province of Judea take specific actions to survive that "end"? That doesn't make sense.

It makes perfect sense to me, what part of what I said are you having difficulty making sense of?
Um, because they didn't live in Jerusalem and therefore didn't have to worry about any of the consequences of that city being destroyed? 😶

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #28

Skeptical wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:10 pm
[they] didn't live in Jerusalem and therefore didn't have to worry about any of the consequences of that city being destroyed?

MATTHEW 24:16

when you catch sight of the disgusting thing that causes desolation, as spoken about by Daniel the prophet, standing in a holy place (let the reader use discernment), 16 then let those in Judea begin fleeing to the mountains

• In early 68 CE, Roman General Vespasian landed at Ptolemais and began suppression of the revolt with operations in the Galilee. By July 69 all of Judea but Jerusalem had been pacified and the city, now hosting rebel leaders from all over the country, came under Roman siege.[13]
  • After the fall of Jerusalem and the destruction of the city and its temple, there were still a few Judean strongholds in which the rebels continued holding out, at Herodium, Machaerus, and Masada.[68]
source : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_o ... em_(70_CE)

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #29

Post by Skeptical »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:41 pm
[they] didn't live in Jerusalem and therefore didn't have to worry about any of the consequences of that city being destroyed?

when you catch sight of the disgusting thing that causes desolation, as spoken about by Daniel the prophet, standing in a holy place (let the reader use discernment), 16 then let those in Judea begin fleeing to the mountains

• In early 68 CE, Roman General Vespasian landed at Ptolemais and began suppression of the revolt with operations in the Galilee. By July 69 all of Judea but Jerusalem had been pacified and the city, now hosting rebel leaders from all over the country, came under Roman siege.[13]
  • After the fall of Jerusalem and the destruction of the city and its temple, there were still a few Judean strongholds in which the rebels continued holding out, at Herodium, Machaerus, and Masada.[68]
Yes? And that is just proving my point.

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #30

Post by Skeptical »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:41 pm

JW, you must not have read my post #16, which had a quote from jw.org. However, I will post it again with underlined words:
But there was much more work to be done. Starting in 36 C.E., with the conversion of Cornelius, an uncircumcised Gentile, the good news began to spread to non-Jewish people of all nations. (Acts, chap. 10) In fact, so rapidly did it spread that by about 60 C.E., the apostle Paul could say that the good news had been “preached in all creation that is under heaven.” (Col. 1:23) Thus, by the end of the first century, Jesus’ faithful followers had made disciples throughout the Roman Empire—in Asia, Europe, and Africa!

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101993004