Post #1

Post by TheRootOfDavid »

What is a Christian?
I am possessed by The 7 Spirits of God

Savant

Re: WHAT IS A CHRISTIAN?

Post #11

Post by 1213 »

TheRootOfDavid wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:08 am What is a Christian?
In Biblical point of view a Christians is a disciple of Jesus. And person is a disciple of Jesus, when he remains in the word of Jesus.

…The disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.
Acts 11:26

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, “If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”
John 8:31-32

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #12

Post by TRANSPONDER »

An excellent response, and I'd agree. Just that and never mind Doctrine. Those in the past who also thought so must have been surprised when they got burnt as heretics.

bjs1
Sage

Post #13

Post by bjs1 »

TheRootOfDavid wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:08 am What is a Christian?
If we are talking theology, then a Christian is someone who can say, “I believe in God, the Father almighty, Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried; he descended into hell; on the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty; from there he will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting.”

And who can say, “I believe in one God, the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all things visible and invisible. I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Only Begotten Son of God, born of the Father before all ages. God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father; through him all things were made. For us men and for our salvation he came down from heaven, and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary, and became man. For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate, he suffered death and was buried, and rose again on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead and his kingdom will have no end. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son, who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified, who has spoken through the prophets. I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church. I confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come.”
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #14

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Recite it every day to make sure you get it word perfect, or it could result in eternal torment, right alongside them atheists and the believers in wrong religions.

bjs1
Sage

Post #15

Post by bjs1 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:12 am Recite it every day to make sure you get it word perfect, or it could result in eternal torment, right alongside them atheists and the believers in wrong religions.
You have got to admit: It is a little funny that in your first post in this thread you said it is “a ludicrous and laughable accusation” that atheists tell Christians what they believe, and then in this post you tell Christians what it is they believe.
-Charles Darwin

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #16

Post by TRANSPONDER »

bjs1 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:56 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:12 am Recite it every day to make sure you get it word perfect, or it could result in eternal torment, right alongside them atheists and the believers in wrong religions.
You have got to admit: It is a little funny that in your first post in this thread you said it is “a ludicrous and laughable accusation” that atheists tell Christians what they believe, and then in this post you tell Christians what it is they believe.
On the contrary - they tell us. I'm glad you posted that, though as it cues my next post. 'Of course, there are those Christians who see that this is an unsupportable doctrine and give up this idea of Eternal Torment and adopt UR. While the average atheist will, I'm sure, welcome such a move, as with any manifestation of cafeteria Christianity, it does remove the big stick. What then is the need for Christianity? Sometimes they'll try the 'Santa won't bring you presents' ploy of 'separation from God', but that is a mini torment, so still has the same problem.

No, it isn't that atheists are saying anything, but citing Christian doctrine and the existence of conflicting doctrine and whether the various sub species of Christians accept the others as atheists do as 'so long as they believe in Jesus as the resurrected messiah' or whether they see them as risking the fiery pit. It's not what atheists say, but what they see.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #17

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:54 am I thought for a while before deciding to at least post something.

Because, in the past and on my Other board, the accusation was made that atheists want to designate what is or is not a Christian. This was a ludicrous and laughable accusation (mud-sling ploy) because atheists are willing to accept anyone who claims to be a Christian as a Christian and possibly debate whatever dogma they follow. It was always other Christians who tried to define, by belief or Dogma, whether the other poster was a Real Christian or not. Indeed the Mods had to forbid any Christian saying another Christian was not Really a Christian under pain of banishment.

And what, to this Atheist spokesbod and habitual use of the term 'We' to denote my myriad followers and fanbase, is a Christian? It is noting to do with trinity doctrine or how much importance Jesus attached to the Mosaic law, but just belief in Christ.. The messiah and savior, and adhering to mainstream doctrine (give or take the Trinity - atheists don't care about that) that Jesus was made or begotten, we don't care which, to contain God's spirit (at conception or baptism, I do care about that discussion and heresy) and Jesus was effectively God in a human pigskin trundly even though communication seems to have been on a need to know basis. But absolutely Jesus has to have died and come to life again.

I won't get into whether the spirit of God united with the Father and the resurrected New Incorruptible Body of Christ with New Incorruptible wounds put in for identification purposes sits alongside God, in human form with Muhammad serving coffee, as the old joke goes. I'll leave that to future denial - sessions; but so long as one believes in Jesus' resurrection and claims to take Jesus as a guide and mentor, they is a Christian in my book.
Your description of being a "Christian" is in alignment with the false gospel of grace/cross, which is the "message" of the "enemy"/"devil"(Mt 13) in which lawlessness, the internal message of the gospel of grace, is rewarded with the "furnace of fire", or in the terms of Mt 7:13-15, "destruction" of the "many".

bjs1
Sage

Post #18

Post by bjs1 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:43 am
On the contrary - they tell us.

Perhaps you could cite your source here.

This thread in entitled “What is a Christian?” and you have provided a belief that no Christian has claimed.

I, personally, am not familiar with any branch of Christianity which says, “Recite it every day to make sure you get it word perfect, or it could result in eternal torment.” Who specifically is the “they” you are referring to?
-Charles Darwin

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #19

Post by TRANSPONDER »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:26 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:54 am I thought for a while before deciding to at least post something.

Because, in the past and on my Other board, the accusation was made that atheists want to designate what is or is not a Christian. This was a ludicrous and laughable accusation (mud-sling ploy) because atheists are willing to accept anyone who claims to be a Christian as a Christian and possibly debate whatever dogma they follow. It was always other Christians who tried to define, by belief or Dogma, whether the other poster was a Real Christian or not. Indeed the Mods had to forbid any Christian saying another Christian was not Really a Christian under pain of banishment.

And what, to this Atheist spokesbod and habitual use of the term 'We' to denote my myriad followers and fanbase, is a Christian? It is noting to do with trinity doctrine or how much importance Jesus attached to the Mosaic law, but just belief in Christ.. The messiah and savior, and adhering to mainstream doctrine (give or take the Trinity - atheists don't care about that) that Jesus was made or begotten, we don't care which, to contain God's spirit (at conception or baptism, I do care about that discussion and heresy) and Jesus was effectively God in a human pigskin trundly even though communication seems to have been on a need to know basis. But absolutely Jesus has to have died and come to life again.

I won't get into whether the spirit of God united with the Father and the resurrected New Incorruptible Body of Christ with New Incorruptible wounds put in for identification purposes sits alongside God, in human form with Muhammad serving coffee, as the old joke goes. I'll leave that to future denial - sessions; but so long as one believes in Jesus' resurrection and claims to take Jesus as a guide and mentor, they is a Christian in my book.
Your description of being a "Christian" is in alignment with the false gospel of grace/cross, which is the "message" of the "enemy"/"devil"(Mt 13) in which lawlessness, the internal message of the gospel of grace, is rewarded with the "furnace of fire", or in the terms of Mt 7:13-15, "destruction" of the "many".
I'm sorry? The basic belief in Jesus as resurrected messiah (Christ) is the fabrication of the devil? Then I'd be fascinated to know what you see the basic of being a Christian is.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #20

Post by TRANSPONDER »

bjs1 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:36 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:43 am
On the contrary - they tell us.

Perhaps you could cite your source here.

This thread in entitled “What is a Christian?” and you have provided a belief that no Christian has claimed.

I, personally, am not familiar with any branch of Christianity which says, “Recite it every day to make sure you get it word perfect, or it could result in eternal torment.” Who specifically is the “they” you are referring to?
That was a nice little fudge - up. From Paul - in Romans, mainly (1) saying that belief in Jesus as the risen messiah is what saves (from sin) aside that he apparently didn't believe Jesus was God incarnate or a hell, but a Last days exiting graves, to my experience in a lot of posting that atheists don't define Christians on any doctrine but those basics and may even stretch a point in those following Jesus as a moral teacher. And it is Christians who have damned each other as not being Christian because of doctrinal or dogmatic differences. Not atheists.

Thus my comment ('They' being all those who reckon themselves Christians) that the very basics (belief in Jesus as the resurrected Christ) is the least that should be believed to be saved, and the screed of doctrine that was posted as the basis of what had to be believed (or why post it at all?) was what had to be committed to memory and followed, or risk hellfire. If one believed it.

If not, as I said - what does it matter? No hell, no big stick.

(1) but also I Cor 15. 1 Now I make known to you, brothers, the gospel which I proclaimed to you, which you have also received, in which you also stand, 2 by which you are also being saved, if you hold fast to the message I proclaimed to you, unless you believed to no purpose. 3 For I passed on to you as of first importance[a] what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures, 4 and that he was buried, and that he was raised up on the third day according to the scriptures,