Why don't religious people just go to heaven?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Compassionist
Guru

Why don't religious people just go to heaven?

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

Billions of people on Earth believe that when the die they will go to heaven. Why don't they just kill themselves and go to heaven? My brother died at the age of 8 days because the doctor made mistakes. My parents told me that my brother went to heaven to live there in happiness for ever and ever. I asked them, "Why don't we all die and join him in heaven?" They said that it was forbidden to commit suicide. Makes me think that there really isn't any heaven after death. Why bother with life before death when life after death is promised to be infinitely better?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Why don't religious people just go to heaven?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by Compassionist]

Your parents were right in that taking ones life, even to get to heaven, is not biblically speaking what God says he desires his servants to do. They were I believe wrong in saying your brother went to heaven. Children who die according to the bible do not go to heaven. They remain unconscious in the grave until the happy day God resurrects them to be reunited with their parents right here on earth.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS

To read more please go to other posts related to...

LIFE, THE CONDITION OF THE DEAD and ...RESURRECTION
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

The Tanager
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by The Tanager »

Because it's not just about us, it's about making the kingdom as big as possible.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #4

Post by Bust Nak »

Hmm, "it was forbidden to commit suicide" seems to answer your question just fine. What isn't so clear is why they don't kill others to get their victim into heaven.

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #5

Post by EarthScienceguy »

Your bother did go to heaven. 2 Samuel 12:23: "But now he is dead. Why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he will not return to me.�"

David could not go to his son but he would go to him when he died.

We are not to mourn as those that do not have hope.

1 Thess. 4

Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. 14 For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. 15 According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.

Committing suicide is mourning as if you have no hope.

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

Compassionist wrote: Billions of people on Earth believe that when the die they will go to heaven. Why don't they just kill themselves and go to heaven? ...
Bible tells eternal life is for righteous. If someone kills himself, is he righteous? I don’t think so.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #7

Post by Compassionist »

1213 wrote:
Compassionist wrote: Billions of people on Earth believe that when the die they will go to heaven. Why don't they just kill themselves and go to heaven? ...
Bible tells eternal life is for righteous. If someone kills himself, is he righteous? I don’t think so.
My friend committed suicide. I consider her to be righteous. If you were her, you would have done the same thing. Thou shall not judge!

Compassionist
Guru

Post #8

Post by Compassionist »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Compassionist]

Your parents were right in that taking ones life, even to get to heaven, is not biblically speaking what God says he desires his servants to do. They were I believe wrong in saying your brother went to heaven. Children who die according to the bible do not go to heaven. They remain unconscious in the grave until the happy day God resurrects them to be reunited with their parents right here on earth.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS

To read more please go to other posts related to...

LIFE, THE CONDITION OF THE DEAD and ...RESURRECTION
How do know that what you said is true? What evidence do you have?

Compassionist
Guru

Post #9

Post by Compassionist »

The Tanager wrote: Because it's not just about us, it's about making the kingdom as big as possible.
Ecclesiastes 4:1-3 New International Version (NIV)

Again I looked and saw all the oppression that was taking place under the sun:

I saw the tears of the oppressed—
and they have no comforter;
power was on the side of their oppressors—
and they have no comforter.

And I declared that the dead,
who had already died,
are happier than the living,
who are still alive.

But better than both
is the one who has never been born,
who has not seen the evil
that is done under the sun.

Given the above verses, why do Christians have children? I would have preferred it if my parents did not have me and my brother. In fact, I think it is better for all sentient biological organisms to never be conceived into this horrific world full of suffering because then they would never suffer.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #10

Post by Compassionist »

EarthScienceguy wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Compassionist]

Your bother did go to heaven. 2 Samuel 12:23: "But now he is dead. Why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he will not return to me.�"

David could not go to his son but he would go to him when he died.

We are not to mourn as those that do not have hope.

1 Thess. 4

Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. 14 For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. 15 According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.

Committing suicide is mourning as if you have no hope.
Committing suicide is not mourning. It is giving up our attachment to this life and moving on to eternity in heaven. That's if there is a heaven. I am agnostic about the existence of heaven and hell and resurrection and reincarnation and the existence and nature of all the gods of all of the thousands of religions.