Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Does God cause evil?

Post #1

Post by DanieltheDragon »

Does God cause evil?

Some assert that God causes no evil. Is there cause to believe this is true. Can this position be supported. Is the character described in the bible incapable of evil?

I would assert that a position that claims God created everything would make him the original cause of evil. That God cannot escape being the cause of evil since he created any and all situations in which evil would arise.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

theophile
Guru

Post #151

Post by theophile »

[Replying to Tired of the Nonsense]
The Bible indicates that God's changes His mind when He fails to get the result He expected. The Bible also indicates that God is omnipotent.
I've already said:

God's power comes through us giving our power to it. So again, omnipotence is only when we all do that. As for changing God's mind, what is wrong with God being a pragmatic God? An open-minded God? Any God that is for wisdom should be open to being wrong, and standing corrected when faced with a greater truth.

That's the kind of God I could call God.
Since these two concepts about the nature of God are contradictory, how are we supposed to come to any other conclusion but that the Bible is WRONG?
I still see no necessary contradiction.
Not merely wrong, but little more than just another example of human originated mythology?
It is absolutely human originated. I would never suggest otherwise. But I would ask, what does it matter? Think what I'm saying through. If God's power is Word alone, and the power we give that Word, then who cares so long as that Word is truth?

"Be pragmatic and change your mind when presented greater wisdom." Again, that is a Word I could wholeheartedly say is from God. And any who participate in that Word I could wholeheartedly say are being true to God (to whom the promise holds).
You know, the same sort of origin mythology that virtually ALL ancient civilizations were famously producing to explain what they had no means to understand?
Tell me what you truly understand in our "modern" age. You think science and technology makes us so great? Being on the leading edge of "history"?...

Please don't rob our ancients of wisdom. Or of Words worth listening to. None of us are so wise and great. Look at what we're doing to the world. Look at what we disregard day in and out. God save us all (through evil if necessary).

Joe1950

Post #152

Post by Joe1950 »

ttruscott wrote:
Joe1950 wrote: Back to the original question: Does god cause evil?The only way to deny that god causes evil to exist is to claim that god is not all powerful. He could not stop evil from existing.
This is an unproven personal statement and not allowed on a debate forum without a caveat of being your opinion.. Please provide proof it is true with your resources or withdraw it.
All I did was restate the ORIGINAL question as posed. Is that against the rules?
My proof that god causes evil? Since god (according to Christians) is all powerful he created all that exists. If god did not create all that exists he would not be all powerful. Evil exists. Therefore god causes evil.

Joe1950

Post #153

Post by Joe1950 »

ttruscott wrote:
Joe1950 wrote: Back to the original question: Does god cause evil?

We know , for a fact, that god at least ALLOWS evil to exist. That is undeniable. Evil exists. The only way to deny that god causes evil to exist is to claim that god is not all powerful. He could not stop evil from existing.
Wrong. It is not the only way by along shot.

Giving us free will to be able to fulfill true love and marriage which, by necessity of what free will is, must allow the possibility of evil also, which is the reason why GOD, who is all powerful, allowed evil to exist. It was not a question of power in the least.

Even the newest Christians can see the stumbling secularists make with such pronouncements and will never give credence to such bias ever...imCo
Correct to a point. There is one other way we can come up with regarding a god that allows evil to exist. That is the idea that god is not such a nice guy. He allows evil to exist because he likes to see people in pain. He is not a nice god at all, but a rather nasty one. This is very much in line with the actions of the god of the Old Testament.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #154

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

[Replying to post 151 by theophile]
theophile wrote: I've already said:

God's power comes through us giving our power to it. So again, omnipotence is only when we all do that. As for changing God's mind, what is wrong with God being a pragmatic God? An open-minded God? Any God that is for wisdom should be open to being wrong, and standing corrected when faced with a greater truth.

That's the kind of God I could call God.
And this is exactly why it is obvious that God is continuously being created and recreated in the image of man, and not vice versa. It also explains the thousands of different creator gods that have come and gone over the centuries. The kind of God you could call God is the God that you can mold into the image of what you decide a God should be. Which is exactly what people around the world and over the ages have traditionally done.

Here is a partial list of creator Beings from around the world. Every one of these Beings was considered to be valid and extent and was worshiped by one group or another at some point in human history. You will notice that the majority of these names are unfamiliar to you. That is because belief in most of them has gone extinct over the centuries. Raising the distinct possibility that they never existed to begin with.

A
Abira
Adroa
Ahone
Ahura Mazda
Aiomun-Kondi
Alatangana
Amotken
Anansi
Anguta
Anulap
Aramazd
Atum
Awonawilona
B
Bagadjimbiri
Bai-Ulgan
Baiame
Banaitja
Batara Kala
Bathala
Brahma
Bunjil
C
Cagn
Cghene
Chaotroquin
Chirakan-Ixmucane
Cocijo
Coyote (mythology)
D
Daksha
Damballa
Dohkwibuhch
E
Earth-maker myth
El (deity)
Elohim
Enki
Eskeri
F
Fon creation myth
G
Gitche Manitou
God
God the Father
User:Gonzales John/sandbox
H
Heryshaf
HÅ“nir
Holy Spirit (Christianity)
Huracán
I
I'itoi
Imra
Inyan
Itherther
Ixpiyacoc
Izanagi
J
Jah
Jesus
K
Karora
Kayra
Kengue
Khnum
Khonvoum
Krishna
Kuk (mythology)
Kukulkan
Kuterastan
Kutkh
L
Lóðurr
M
Makemake (deity)
Mandé creation myth
Mangar-kunjer-kunja
Mbombo
Melek Taus
Muluku
Mwari
N
Nanabozho
Ngai
Ngenechen
Nogomain
Noncomala
Num (god)
Numakulla
O
Obatala
Odin
Olelbis
Olodumare
Omai (deity)
P
Pacha Kamaq
Pangu
Pariacaca (god)
Prajapati
Prometheus
Ptah
Puluga
Pundjel
Q
Q'uq'umatz
Qat (deity)
Quetzalcoatl
R
Rangi and Papa
Raven Tales
Rod (god)
S
Serer creation myth
T
Ta'aroa
Tabaldak
Tagaloa
Taryenyawagon
Tengri
Tezcatlipoca
Tloquenahuaque
Tonacatecuhtli
Tupã (mythology)
Tzacol
U
Unkulunkulu
Unumbotte
V
Vili and Vé
Viracocha
Vishvakarman
X
Xamaba
Y
Yahweh
Yuanshi Tianzun
Z
Zamba (god)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Creator_gods
theophile wrote: I still see no necessary contradiction.
That you see no contradiction in a fallible God who is also declared to be omnipotent is one of the main logical flaws in your theology.
theophile wrote: It is absolutely human originated. I would never suggest otherwise. But I would ask, what does it matter? Think what I'm saying through. If God's power is Word alone, and the power we give that Word, then who cares so long as that Word is truth.
The Bible portrays a God who is both omnipotent and fallible. Since this represents a contradiction in concepts it cannot be valid. Something which is not valid is something that is not true. It is exactly the sort of flawed contradiction in concept one would expect fallible humans to manufacture from their imagination. And the fundamentally flawed nature represents certain proof that it cannot possibly be derived from divine inspiration.
theophile wrote: "Be pragmatic and change your mind when presented greater wisdom." Again, that is a Word I could wholeheartedly say is from God. And any who participate in that Word I could wholeheartedly say are being true to God (to whom the promise holds)
How about being pragmatic and changing your mind when when presented with unmistakable evidence that what you believe cannot possibly be true?
theophile wrote: Tell me what you truly understand in our "modern" age. You think science and technology makes us so great? Being on the leading edge of "history"?...
"Great" is simply an opinion. Tell me what you truly understand about modern science.
theophile wrote: Please don't rob our ancients of wisdom. Or of Words worth listening to. None of us are so wise and great. Look at what we're doing to the world. Look at what we disregard day in and out. God save us all (through evil if necessary).

We are absolutely no more intelligent today than they were in ages past. We are building on the knowledge they discovered. But it has been 2,000 years since Roman times, and we now have 2,000 years of new knowledge to utilize. The laws of physics were exactly the same 2,000 years ago. Or 6,000 years ago. But you will notice that the ancients, for all of their intelligence, DID NOT develop high technology. The Romans didn't have particle accelerators, or microscopes or telescopes. They had no concept of quantum mechanics. Modern technology requires an actual understanding of the workings of the physical universe that the ancients not only did not have, but could not possibly have conceived of. Because where we are now took centuries of painstaking research to get to. Compared to what we now understand about the way the universe actually functions the ancients were children mired in make believe. As we should reasonably be in comparison with those who live 2,000 years from now.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

William
Savant

Post #155

Post by William »

[Replying to post 154 by Tired of the Nonsense]
The Bible portrays a God who is both omnipotent and fallible. Since this represents a contradiction in concepts it cannot be valid. Something which is not valid is something that is not true. It is exactly the sort of flawed contradiction in concept one would expect fallible humans to manufacture from their imagination. And the fundamentally flawed nature represents certain proof that it cannot possibly be derived from divine inspiration.

I explained the perceived contradiction in earlier posts in this thread and in detail in my thread in the Members Notes. Image

You offer a list of GODs which have come and gone throughout human history. On that list are also GODs which have remained.
How about being pragmatic and changing your mind when when presented with unmistakable evidence that what you believe cannot possibly be true?
It always interests me when individuals wish for me to abandon what I think and adopt what they think. They want to convert me. But to what? A simple lack in belief in the existence of any GODs? Why is that even so important to them in the scheme of things? What possible difference could that make to me, or to the world I am in?

I, and others, have described how a GOD-like entity can act both good and evil in regard to the current environment (this universe) and how this particular story is of a GOD who is not omni-anything and evolving towards ultimate goodness which requires each of our assistance to make happen.

For those who have no requirement of a GOD to behave kindly to everyone else, kudo's to ya'll! As long as you are part of that push, you are doing what GOD wants you to do anyway, and if that pisses you off, then I would be questioning your true motives. After-all we each can claim to be 'good' and not 'evil' but these are human constructs anyway and what you might regard as supporting good, I might regard as supporting evil.

For example, you regard science as good, right?
But you will notice that the ancients, for all of their intelligence, DID NOT develop high technology. The Romans didn't have particle accelerators, or microscopes or telescopes. They had no concept of quantum mechanics. Modern technology requires an actual understanding of the workings of the physical universe that the ancients not only did not have, but could not possibly have conceived of. Because where we are now took centuries of painstaking research to get to.
Do you forget that without the ancients, such things would not now be part of our experience? They are like the first chapter and we are like the next, but without each chapter, the story is incomplete. You would distant them for their belief in GODs and forget that without them, WE would not exist, or be enjoying our lives as we presently do?
Compared to what we now understand about the way the universe actually functions the ancients were children mired in make believe. As we should reasonably be in comparison with those who live 2,000 years from now.
At least you get that - to a point. So you can see that the idead of GOD evolves with human kind but interpret that to mean that humankind has created GOD and that GOD does not exist.

What I said was;
We are moving forward to a place where the actual GOD is awaiting us, ever hopeful we will make it.
GOD deals with our ignorance and is forced to accommodate our evil while GOD nudges us toward goodness, because GOD is inherently GOOD.

You believe all science is good? You might argue that while science has and is also being used for evil purpose that it ultimately will be good for humanity?

You do see evil in science yes? I have heard the complaint that it is religion which is the cause of warfare. Just some desert dwelling goat-hearders and their beliefs in some ancient ideas of what GOD is...

...You think that the advances in science which contributed to the development of modern weapons and warfare is a good thing? Is it good because of the great returns in investments are a sure thing?

Do you think that perhaps the great advances in science has contributed to the pollution problems or that the political strategies of the few who make the most at the expense of all the rest and block many attempts at alternative ways of making energy because they own the oil?

Do you think that wall street is a bastion of goodness? That they create disparity and when the bottom falls out, their buddies in government bail them out charging taxpayers to do so, and instead of returning the loan to the taxpayer with interest, they reward the executives with unholy bonuses and forget the ones who lost everything because of the executive mismanagement and corruption?

Or is that all the evil GODs fault as well, for creating us and putting us on this planet and saying 'do what you will!'

I would argue that if you see any GOOD in this universe, on this planet, and there is a GOD, then the GOD cannot be all evil. I would also argue that if anyone lacks belief in all GODs and they think themselves essentially good, then they would be better off focusing their energies on changing the political sector instead of wasting their time arguing with folk who believe in myths. One might be able to actually achieve something then.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #156

Post by ttruscott »

Joe1950 wrote:
ttruscott wrote:
Joe1950 wrote: Back to the original question: Does god cause evil?The only way to deny that god causes evil to exist is to claim that god is not all powerful. He could not stop evil from existing.
This is an unproven personal statement and not allowed on a debate forum without a caveat of being your opinion.. Please provide proof it is true with your resources or withdraw it.
All I did was restate the ORIGINAL question as posed. Is that against the rules?
Hardly. You answered the question with a personal opinion presented as a proven truth. Looks like it breaks the Ranting Guideline
2. Merely offering your opinion on a position has little to no value in debates. Rather, you are expected to offer a position and be able to justify it with argumentation and with evidence.*
and Forum Rules:
5. Support your assertions/arguments with evidence. Do not persist in making a claim without supporting it. All unsupported claims can be challenged for supporting evidence.* Opinions require no support, but they should not be considered as valid to any argument, nor will they be considered as legitimate support for any claim.
My proof that god causes evil? Since god (according to Christians) is all powerful he created all that exists. If god did not create all that exists he would not be all powerful. Evil exists. Therefore god causes evil.

Your argument is not proof since you have not proven 1. "he created all that exists" but only claimed it. Not all Christians accept this claim. 2. "If god did not create all that exists he would not be all powerful." This definition of being all powerful is not proven but assumed.

Evil exists because the All Powerful GOD gave us a free will and the ability and opportunity to choose to create our moral characters as good OR TO create our moral characters as evil, imCo which is as good as your guess any day.

The fact that my interpretation fits perfectly with the context of the whole of the Bible while yours contradicts the Bible's representation of GOD as light with no darkness in HIM and as righteous with no wickedness in HIM makes it the higher, more morally perfect, interpretation of how evil has come to exist.

*So, prove or retract as a personal opinion.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

theophile
Guru

Post #157

Post by theophile »

[Replying to post 154 by Tired of the Nonsense]
And this is exactly why it is obvious that God is continuously being created and recreated in the image of man, and not vice versa. It also explains the thousands of different creator gods that have come and gone over the centuries. The kind of God you could call God is the God that you can mold into the image of what you decide a God should be. Which is exactly what people around the world and over the ages have traditionally done.

Here is a partial list of creator Beings from around the world. Every one of these Beings was considered to be valid and extent and was worshiped by one group or another at some point in human history. You will notice that the majority of these names are unfamiliar to you. That is because belief in most of them has gone extinct over the centuries. Raising the distinct possibility that they never existed to begin with.
Who cares if God is created in the image of man? Again, so long as the Word is true. If so, even if of human origin, have we not happened upon something greater than ourselves? Or that reflects the best of what we can offer? Something that all humankind should aspire to? ...
That you see no contradiction in a fallible God who is also declared to be omnipotent is one of the main logical flaws in your theology.
My theology doesn't assume an omnipotent God. Rather a God that can attain omnipotence only through us.

All power is not God's unless all things give their power to God's Word.

Eschatologically, God is omnipotent. Not now. Not ever throughout history to date.

"God reigneth omnipotent" means at the end. This is biblical eschatology.
The Bible portrays a God who is both omnipotent and fallible.
The bible portrays a God who is "all in all" only at the end of times. i.e., God is only omnipotent when Christ, in the final days, hands over the world to God, with all in the world fully participating in God's Word.

And I really don't know what your issue is with fallibility. Answer this simple question:

Is it more divine to recognize mistakes, and accept greater wisdom when presented it? Being open to all voices? Or to deny the wisdom of others, and stay stubbornly stuck on whatever path one first declared?
Tell me how anything I am saying is inconsistent.
"Great" is simply an opinion. Tell me what you truly understand about modern science.
What do you want to know? I have masters level education in engineering. It required a pretty solid foundation in science and mathematics, not to mention the application of. Quantum. Relativity. Statistical mechanics. Electromagnetism. Thermo. Wave theory. Aerospace. Fluid dynamics. Chemistry. Materials science...

I'm not scientifically illiterate, and have no lack of respect for it. I just don't think it makes us any better than the ancients, at least not when it comes to questions of a more... moral value.
But you will notice that the ancients, for all of their intelligence, DID NOT develop high technology. The Romans didn't have particle accelerators, or microscopes or telescopes. They had no concept of quantum mechanics. Modern technology requires an actual understanding of the workings of the physical universe that the ancients not only did not have, but could not possibly have conceived of. Because where we are now took centuries of painstaking research to get to. Compared to what we now understand about the way the universe actually functions the ancients were children mired in make believe. As we should reasonably be in comparison with those who live 2,000 years from now.
I will grant without hesitation that we have a better conception of how the universe functions now than we did before. But that's not what I look to the bible or God for.

Genesis and all that follows isn't a story of how the universe was created and how it works on a physical level, but a story about shaping and filling the universe we find ourselves in with life. And how we need to live our lives to do that.

That is the truth-value of God's Word, and why I find so much truth-value in the biblical God's Word.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #158

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

[Replying to post 157 by theophile]
theophile wrote: Who cares if God is created in the image of man? Again, so long as the Word is true. If so, even if of human origin, have we not happened upon something greater than ourselves? Or that reflects the best of what we can offer? Something that all humankind should aspire to? ...
By "the Word," I assume you are talking about the Bible. But the Bible is qualitatively NOT TRUE. The Bible makes claims which contradict each other. The Bible makes claims of events that never happened. The Bible, like God, was created by flawed humans beings and as a result THE BIBLE IS FLAWED. "The Word" is NOT inerrantly true.
theophile wrote: My theology doesn't assume an omnipotent God. Rather a God that can attain omnipotence only through us.

All power is not God's unless all things give their power to God's Word.

Eschatologically, God is omnipotent. Not now. Not ever throughout history to date.

"God reigneth omnipotent" means at the end. This is biblical eschatology.
And yet as you have already acknowledged, God's full omnipotence might never occur. Because God might lose the struggle with the other side. The side that you identify as evil. So let's take stock of the side you are on. God (your side) endorses slavery as a perfectly natural human condition. God (your side) agrees to allow his most loyal servant to be brutally tortured and all of the man's children killed, just to prove a point. God (your side) orders thousand of helpless women and children and babies to be hacked to death with swords. God (your side) once once drowned every living thing on the planet in a fit of pique. Are you REALLY certain that you are on the right side? Because the leader of your side seems to be an insecure narcissistic psychopath.

Of course these stories themselves are drawn from a book that simply isn't trustworthy. So based on the Bible how could you possibly know WHAT to believe?
theophile wrote: The bible portrays a God who is "all in all" only at the end of times. i.e., God is only omnipotent when Christ, in the final days, hands over the world to God, with all in the world fully participating in God's Word.
And yet God (your side), not being fully omnipotent, might lose the struggle. In which case God will never attain complete omnipotence. Even though the Bible says that He will. But the Bible is not inerrant and is therefore not trustworthy. And for all you know, the other side is really the true virtuous side. The other side has not produced it's own version of "the Word." Or if they have it has been kept unavailable to us. So we don't really know the other side's position. We DO know that God (your side) is perfectly capable of acting in psychotic ways however. At least, according to the untrustworthy Bible. Because the fact is, NO ONE REALLY KNOWS ANY OF THIS STUFF TO BE TRUE. It has to be taken entirely on faith. Abject faith and unswerving gullibility go hand in hand.
theophile wrote: And I really don't know what your issue is with fallibility. Answer this simple question:

Is it more divine to recognize mistakes, and accept greater wisdom when presented it? Being open to all voices? Or to deny the wisdom of others, and stay stubbornly stuck on whatever path one first declared?
To err is human. To be Divine is not to make mistakes in the first place.
theophile wrote: Tell me how anything I am saying is inconsistent.
You recognize that the Bible is inconsistent, and yet you continue to declare "the Word" to be true.
theophile wrote: What do you want to know? I have masters level education in engineering. It required a pretty solid foundation in science and mathematics, not to mention the application of. Quantum. Relativity. Statistical mechanics. Electromagnetism. Thermo. Wave theory. Aerospace. Fluid dynamics. Chemistry. Materials science...

I'm not scientifically illiterate, and have no lack of respect for it.
The universe operates in accordance with the principles of quantum mechanics. What evidence can you provide which would serve to indicate that quantum mechanics is not perfectly self sustaining.
theophile wrote: I just don't think it makes us any better than the ancients, at least not when it comes to questions of a more... moral value.
"Better" is simply an opinion. We are vastly less ignorant now concerning the means by which the universe operates then our ancient ancestors were however.

The ancients considered slavery to be perfectly moral. We have outlawed slavery worldwide. The ancients considered torture to be an ordinary fasit of punishment. We now have agreements that outlaw the use of torture worldwide as a means of punishment. We attempt, at least, to place governments in the hands of the majority, rather than invest power in the hands of the special few. We have been moving in the right direction. Which is to say, away from the sort of morality employed by our ancient ancestors.
theophile wrote: I will grant without hesitation that we have a better conception of how the universe functions now than we did before. But that's not what I look to the bible or God for.

Genesis and all that follows isn't a story of how the universe was created and how it works on a physical level, but a story about shaping and filling the universe we find ourselves in with life. And how we need to live our lives to do that.

That is the truth-value of God's Word, and why I find so much truth-value in the biblical God's Word.
The Bible represents the worldview of one particular group of ancient people. People who had no means to understand the nature of physical existence, and as a result turned to a make-it-up-and-declare-it-to-be-true conception of how the universe operates. Having no better access to the true nature of existence, this method was commonly used in ancient times right around the world. As might be expected, make-it-up-and-declare-it-to-be-true has virtually no connection whatsoever to what is actually occurring in the universe.

The Bible provides us with badly outdated concepts of morality. It gives us ten specifics examples of moral rules to follow, half of which are actually nothing more than the glorification of an assumed to exist Being. I am 68 years old, and I have found that it is has been possible live a perfectly moral life by simply following only one rule. It's called the golden rule, and it covers pretty much every situation.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

William
Savant

Post #159

Post by William »

[Replying to post 158 by Tired of the Nonsense]
By "the Word," I assume you are talking about the Bible. But the Bible is qualitatively NOT TRUE. The Bible makes claims which contradict each other. The Bible makes claims of events that never happened.
See the bible is not the 'Word of GOD' and doesn't proclaim to be. What it does say is that JESUS is the 'Word of GOD' More about this in my Members Notes. Image

The Bible, like God, was created by flawed humans beings and as a result THE BIBLE IS FLAWED. "The Word" is NOT inerrantly true.
While the bible indeed was created by flawed human being, GOD - on the other hand, may be real, and not even very much like the idea of the GOD of the bible is portrayed.

At least while you argue about that, you understand that some of those events you find horrific in the bible, are not even real events which actually happened. So assigning events which you know didn't happen, to any GOD idea (regardless that organised religions do this,) is not the most honest/constructive way to argue against the idea of GOD unless you are open to their being an actual GOD which actually exists...which obviously you at least appear not to be open to.
I am open to that and thus can argue against the bible being the only say on what GOD is and simply assigning the horrific attributes of that GOD in those stories, to the rubbish pile. Nothing to argue honestly about there...move on...

The horrific stories are made up and attributed to some idea of a GOD. This in itself does not mean that they are evidence that GOD was created by flawed humans or that GOD does not exist. It is just evidence that if GOD does exist, it is completely likely that flawed human ideas of GOD are errant/erroneous and nothing much like what that real GOD is at all.

I share about this in more detail in my thread in the Members Notes forum. Specifically here Image and here Image

Joe1950

Post #160

Post by Joe1950 »

ttruscott wrote:
Joe1950 wrote:
ttruscott wrote:
Hardly. You answered the question with a personal opinion presented as a proven truth. Looks like it breaks the Ranting Guideline
2. Merely offering your opinion on a position has little to no value in debates. Rather, you are expected to offer a position and be able to justify it with argumentation and with evidence.*
and Forum Rules:
5. Support your assertions/arguments with evidence. Do not persist in making a claim without supporting it. All unsupported claims can be challenged for supporting evidence.* Opinions require no support, but they should not be considered as valid to any argument, nor will they be considered as legitimate support for any claim.

Your argument is not proof since you have not proven 1. "he created all that exists" but only claimed it. Not all Christians accept this claim. 2. "If god did not create all that exists he would not be all powerful." This definition of being all powerful is not proven but assumed.

Evil exists because the All Powerful GOD gave us a free will and the ability and opportunity to choose to create our moral characters as good OR TO create our moral characters as evil, imCo which is as good as your guess any day.

The fact that my interpretation fits perfectly with the context of the whole of the Bible while yours contradicts the Bible's representation of GOD as light with no darkness in HIM and as righteous with no wickedness in HIM makes it the higher, more morally perfect, interpretation of how evil has come to exist.

*So, prove or retract as a personal opinion.
I would suggest a more careful reading of what I actually post might lead one to a different conclusion.
For example, I was quite clear in previous posts that not all Christians believe the same thing. However, if a Christian takes the position that god is all powerful then he must logically take the position that god creates or allows all that is good and all that is evil. The fact that someone does not like that particular conclusion does not lessen the validity of the statement. And, as I have said, if god is NOT all powerful then the argument does not hold. So, are you claiming that god is not all powerful? That is a valid question. Hardly ranting. And if god is not all powerful then god has weaknesses. The idea of "god" then becomes much less "godlike".
You speak of "evidence". I have given the evidence. God allows much misery, even if you take only the Bible as your source. God allows and encourages murder, genocide and other crimes. That is evidence , from the Bible, of the nature of god. It's not my Bible. Don't blame me if the evidence points to a god who is nasty.

You claim that free will exists because the ALL POWERFUL god gave us free will. This seems to me like a contradiction in your criticism of my post. You tell me I cannot assume that the Christian god is all powerful, but you yourself claim he is all powerful. Which is it? Is he or isn't he?

You criticize me for not having "evidence" (which I have given you). But your own "evidence " is, according to your words, that idea that your statement fits with the teachings of the Bible. Well, that is evidence that you believe in the Bible (opinion) but hardly "evidence " of the existence of god.

Since you seem to now claim that god is not all powerful that sheds a different light on the matter. Since god is not all powerful he has weaknesses. There is nothing unusual about that. Throughout history men have created gods who have human characteristics, weakness of some kind . At least that clarifies the power (or lack thereof) of god. But I am not sure how many Christians would agree that god is not all-powerful. I thought that was a pretty well-established tenet of Christianity.