How does one determine the one true God?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

How does one determine the one true God?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

How does a person determine the one, true God? Yes, assuming there is one true God, which God or version of God best qualifies, and why?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Mithrae
Prodigy

Re: How does one determine the one true God?

Post #2

Post by Mithrae »

Elijah John wrote: Yes, assuming there is one true God, which God or version of God best qualifies, and why?
I think this plausible (albeit unconfirmed) sighting tells us all we need to know:

It seems people cannot help but imagine that God commands this or God wants that, God wrote such and such though what God really meant was that other thing. But it's obviously absurd - not to mention exceedingly arrogant and often dangerous - to suppose that human minds could grasp any substantial aspect of the nature or intentions of the creator of the universe; we can't even comprehend the universe itself! According to some of the stories in the Tanakh, god introduced himself to Moses as simply "I am who I am" and forbade any further attempts to put a form or image to the 'name.' And then, just a few days later, those very people who'd supposedly had those commands being boomed out from the fire and thunder at the top of the mountain were saying that a golden calf was their god.

They commit genocide and say that Yahweh commanded it; they say that god is a man named Jesus and that he wants them to conquer the Aztecs in his name; they say that Allah commands them to bomb the infidels; they say that there is no god because people say silly things about her. What they need, I think, is a placeholder to remind them of all that absurdity and uncertainty. (A very similar theme is illustrated quite nicely in the South Park episode "Fantastic Easter Special," incidentally.) If there's anything worse than making god in the image of a cow, it's making god in our own image! Whereas noodles, let's face it, are unquestionably divine.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #3

Post by Elijah John »

Elijah John wrote: How does a person determine the one, true God? Yes, assuming there is one true God, which God or version of God best qualifies, and why?
For those seeking, or inclined to belief, what is your criteria for selecting the one true God. Again, assuming there is one.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Willum
Savant

Post #4

Post by Willum »

The scientific method?

Occam's razor?

Examining nature and inferring what you can of the creator?

Believe that thermodynamics is true, and no God is necessary?
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Zzyzx »

For those so inclined, here is one set of suggestions:
How to Choose a God (or Gods) https://www.wikihow.com/Choose-a-God-(or-Gods)

1. Learn about the many different religions which are out there, and about what their beliefs in God or gods are.

2. Ask yourself, what exactly are you seeking spiritually.

3. Read the different Scriptures of various religions. Example: The Bible, the Quran, the Vedas, the I Ching, etc.

4. Are you seeking a God which will help you with your relationship with nature? or with your fellow human beings? Or perhaps both...?

5. Learn the different stories which are associated with God or gods, in order to narrow down your choice.

6. Learn about the different kinds of evil entities, which different religions are trying to oppose, in order to narrow down your choice. (Example: if you wish to oppose satanic evil, then most likely the God of Christianity or Islam is the one you wish to worship; or if its the delusions of the Mara, then it is most likely the Buddha whom you wish to follow).

7. Think about which virtues are most important to you.

8. Visit different churches, mosques, temples, etc., in order to learn the way in which God or gods are worshipped by different religions
This seems to indicate that one should choose a god that appeals to them. No mention is made of 'true'
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by ttruscott »

Elijah John wrote: How does a person determine the one, true God? Yes, assuming there is one true God, which God or version of God best qualifies, and why?
You go with the proof that you have seen for yourself!!

We saw the creation of the physical universe and sang HIS praise: Job 38:7...while the morning stars sang together and ALL the Sons of GOD shouted for joy?

This was enough proof for everyone because GOD made it clear to us: Rom 1:18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness. 19 For what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood from His workmanship, so that men are without excuse.

21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified Him as God nor gave thanks to Him, but they became futile in their thinking and darkened in their foolish hearts. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools, 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images of mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.

All anyone has to do is to quit repressing this proof in favour of the lies and sin we love more. Quit fighting against HIM and there it is...iow, if you are asking you are still fighting.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Tart »

Thats easy, its the ones who believe in Jesus... Unless you weird about Jesus, then idk... But also the other gods are kind of cool too, so i dont judge... Just be a good person man (pot head voice)...

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #8

Post by Divine Insight »

Elijah John wrote: For those seeking, or inclined to belief, what is your criteria for selecting the one true God. Again, assuming there is one.
That's simple. Just address all your prayers and thoughts like so,....

"Dear Creator of all that exists,..."

You absolutely cannot go wrong with that one.

And if you don't get an answer then you can rest assured that the God isn't interested in conversing with you, or that it doesn't exist.

Choosing from any religions would be silly.

You can't go wrong by addressing "the creator of all that exists". There's no ambiguity there and there's no way that the creator of all that exist can deny that you tried to commune with it.

And no one can accuse you of worshiping a "false God". Not even the creator of all that exists. :D
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Elijah John]

If he plays guitar better than this guy:

He may qualify.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

Examine the realities of CREATION ("the book of creation) , and then examine the books that claim to be revelation from said Creator to see if such revelation match the fundamentals we can glean from the Creation ie
Love:

Power

Wisdom

Justice
Reject any god(s) that show themselves inferior to the matchless excellence and purity we see evident in what he has done CREATION (ie a god that is not complete in himslef but needs other gods to moderate or complete his qualities (power), a god that shows carnel qualities that lack self control (love, wisdom) a god(s) indifferent to humans that not seek to communicate answers to the fundamental questions that make us human (justice/wisdom), a bloodthirsty cruel god (love), a fickle tempremental disloyal god (justice/wisdom)...
When we find a book that claims to present the thoughts and purpose of the God that left his signature all around us, study it, believe it and obey it and you will find the True God.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS

RELATED POSTS
What is "truth"?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 55#p838455

What methodology can can be sure to find religious truth?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 83#p795583

In what what manner does God reveal religious truths?
viewtopic.php?p=900951#p900951

Why reject the many perverted pagan gods ?
viewtopic.php?p=991212#p991212

What are the fundamentals of biblical truth?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 51#p900951

Does the tuth need defending?
viewtopic.php?p=1021621#p1021621

What do Jehovah's Witnesses mean when they say they have "the truth"?
viewtopic.php?p=998018#p998018

Is there convinving evidence to support belief in a Creator?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 64#p897064

Does there HVE to be a first (uncaused) cause)?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 92#p347592

Viewpoints on the Origin of Life: Interviews and Experiences
https://www.jw.org/en/library/videos/#e ... riginsLife

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

GOD, TRUTH and ...RELIGION
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat May 07, 2022 11:29 am, edited 8 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8