Posting Dangerous advice

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
AgnosticBoy
Guru
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:44 pm
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 59 times
Contact:

Posting Dangerous advice

Post #1

Post by AgnosticBoy »

President Trump asked about a treatment for covid-19 that involves using Lysol. Apparently, some in the general population have taken this serious enough to call their health departments to ask about it. Perhaps some may even tried it.

With that said, I'm wondering if members should be allowed to post this type of advice repeatedly. I can understand doing it once or twice, but it gets to a point where it becomes unnecessary and some might even argue dangerous. Do you need to REpost the advice 20 times, lets say? And then twist it to say that Trump wants it as opposed to "asking" about it? Doing this repeatedly just keeps it in the public's eye which again can lead someone to consider it or even push them into trying it just as some are doing after hearing about it from the media.

I think the moderators should really consider putting a limit on the number of times someone can post information that is dangerous. This would not take away free-speech, but rather it would reduce "spreading" dangerous advice which is the effect that bringing up dangerous advice over and over and over again has.
Last edited by AgnosticBoy on Sat May 02, 2020 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
AgnosticBoy
Guru
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:44 pm
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 59 times
Contact:

Post #2

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Here is an example of such post. I also addressed it by bringing up that it wasn't even part of the topic, nor was anyone even debating on Lysol. So it seems unnecessary and even excessive to keep bringing it up, esp. given the fact that it is considered DANGEROUS advice by many.
AgnosticBoy wrote:
myth-one.com wrote:
AgnosticBoy wrote:It would also help if the mainstream media quits playing that clip over and over and over again. Keeping the issue in the media is also keeping it in the public's eye. So if anything, the media would bear some responsibility, especially for twisting it to say that Trump recommended Lysol as opposed to asking about it.
Trump suggested the possibility of studying injecting disinfectants into COVID-19 patients or bringing UV light “inside� their bodies to kill the deadly virus, while nodding towards Dr. Birx seeking approval.

A leading disinfectant producer quickly urged people not to ingest their products!

=========================================

The truth is being reported by the vast majority of mainstream media!

And they're generally doing a fantastic job!
But this happened over a week or so ago. When you keep bringing it up, you're essentially spreading the word. What you're doing may be just as dangerous. You brought it up probably what, 20 times already?

Should you be allowed to keep REposting dangerous advice? Is anyone suggesting that it's safe or even debating that issue here? Seems unnecessary and excessive to keep bringing it up.

I've recommended the moderators look into this. Discussion on that started on another thread:

viewtopic.php?p=1010885#1010885

User avatar
AgnosticBoy
Guru
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:44 pm
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 59 times
Contact:

Post #3

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Here are some of my suggested criteria for spotting and banning posts that contain dangerous information:

1. If something is dangerous, and not in dispute nor debatable, then it should not be allowed to be posted more than 2 times.

2. Dangerous information would be information, like advice, that would be deadly if followed. Of course, its lethality would be corroborated by medical experts, or even most people of common sense. The only exception is if there is scientific evidence suggesting otherwise, which would go towards a debate.

But again, outside of a debate (there's no dispute about it), such information should probably be limited.

User avatar
otseng
Savant
Posts: 18064
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:16 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Has thanked: 102 times
Been thanked: 154 times
Contact:

Post #4

Post by otseng »

Yes, the idea of injecting disinfectants is stupid and dangerous. However, I'm not going to go down the path of censorship on this forum because an idea is dumb. We are going through a period of clamping down on minority voices and I do not want this forum to be a part of that. As long as we can maintain civility and respect towards other posters, there is pretty much nothing barred from being said, even if it seems ridiculous. As for the government, I think everything they say should not be believed, but it's not my role to stop people from listening to them. Each person should judge for themselves what is the truth and the "truth" should not be determined by any special group.

User avatar
AgnosticBoy
Guru
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:44 pm
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 59 times
Contact:

Post #5

Post by AgnosticBoy »

otseng wrote: Yes, the idea of injecting disinfectants is stupid and dangerous. However, I'm not going to go down the path of censorship on this forum because an idea is dumb. We are going through a period of clamping down on minority voices and I do not want this forum to be a part of that. As long as we can maintain civility and respect towards other posters, there is pretty much nothing barred from being said, even if it seems ridiculous. As for the government, I think everything they say should not be believed, but it's not my role to stop people from listening to them. Each person should judge for themselves what is the truth and the "truth" should not be determined by any special group.
I'm not for censure but I respect your point of view.

Here is YouTube's policy, "Promoting dangerous remedies or cures: Content which claims that harmful substances or treatments can have health benefits." (source)

People should also keep in mind that they can be legally liable for internet posts. Some examples are online posts or content involving personal information, harassment, cyberbullying, defamation, etc. I haven't found any law on on posting dangerous advice that someone does end up trying, but I wouldn't want to risk any liability either. If anyone has any info. on that then they

nobspeople
Guru
Posts: 1796
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:32 am
Has thanked: 866 times
Been thanked: 422 times

Re: Posting Dangerous advice

Post #6

Post by nobspeople »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:21 pm President Trump asked about a treatment for covid-19 that involves using Lysol. Apparently, some in the general population have taken this serious enough to call their health departments to ask about it. Perhaps some may even tried it.

With that said, I'm wondering if members should be allowed to post this type of advice repeatedly. I can understand doing it once or twice, but it gets to a point where it becomes unnecessary and some might even argue dangerous. Do you need to REpost the advice 20 times, lets say? And then twist it to say that Trump wants it as opposed to "asking" about it? Doing this repeatedly just keeps it in the public's eye which again can lead someone to consider it or even push them into trying it just as some are doing after hearing about it from the media.

I think the moderators should really consider putting a limit on the number of times someone can post information that is dangerous. This would not take away free-speech, but rather it would reduce "spreading" dangerous advice which is the effect that bringing up dangerous advice over and over and over again has.
Just because someone says something doesn't mean another is obligate to take it as fact and try it. Where is the responsibility of the person reading said 'fact'?
Why is it those in power (the government or, in this case, forum moderators) have to be the only ones protecting the innocent or those with less than average common sense?

User avatar
Purple Knight
Guru
Posts: 1524
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:00 pm
Has thanked: 408 times
Been thanked: 228 times

Re: Posting Dangerous advice

Post #7

Post by Purple Knight »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:18 pmJust because someone says something doesn't mean another is obligate to take it as fact and try it. Where is the responsibility of the person reading said 'fact'?
My answer is that it is on the doer 100%.

Unless.

Unless some person has been held up as an expert and we're supposed to listen to them instead of our own judgment. Trump is not an expert on diseases. Now, if the CDC or even Fauci said, you must do this, it is good for you, and it turns out, for example, that wearing masks makes the matter worse, that's on him.

Basically if someone tells you in no uncertain terms, put your own judgment aside, do what I say, I am an expert and you're not, that, in my mind, transfers the fault to them if they screw up. Otherwise they're your actions and your responsibility.

benchwarmer
Guru
Posts: 1948
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:40 am
Has thanked: 695 times
Been thanked: 298 times

Re: Posting Dangerous advice

Post #8

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to AgnosticBoy in post #1]

I'm with Otseng on this one. For starters, it would be a nightmare determining what is actually "dangerous advice". Personally, I find the advice of praying for someone rather than actually going and helping them dangerous advice. i.e. this would quickly go down many rabbit holes and leave the moderators in a bad position. The entire point of this site is to debate ideas.

If someone posts something that seems dangerous, I'm sure there will be responses that point this out (and of course the ensuing debate).

In the end, if Otseng sees something that he determines to be "too far" or "not worth the risk of leaving on this site", then he has the ultimate power to remove said posts/posters. Hopefully that type of situation will be extremely rare.

Post Reply