Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Us

Post #1

Post by Miles »

In Genesis 1:26 one reads

"26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

What I get from this is that making man wasn't a solo task, but a cooperative effort of god and, at a minimum, someone/thing else. So, who is this us, and our, and what's the reason for your choice?

Secondary question: being the almighty god he is said to be, why do you think he needed help in making man?

theophile
Guru

Re: Us

Post #51

Post by theophile »

William wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:05 pm [Replying to theophile in post #47]
I don't think it would be right to read tehom as a god, but rather as an echo of the goddess Tiamat.

Not sure what you are referring to here.
Is a "goddess" not a "god"?
Are you saying that - for example - a princess is not a prince, "therefore" (?).
All I'm saying is that I don't think tehom is meant to be a god or a goddess here. She simply represents primordial waters / the abyss.

The NT equivalent to her would be Mary, who isn't a god/goddess either...

(I would venture the following unholy trinity to link Genesis 1 and the gospels together, using John 1 as the key where Jesus is identified as the light:

Ruach elohim + tehom --> the light = Holy spirit + Mary --> Jesus)
William wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:05 pm
It's a subtle but clear reference to the audience that tehom is an important part of the story, to setup a contrast with the Enuma Elish, and perhaps to personify her alongside the spirit of God. I would say that together, as One, these form Elohim, God, or the 'Us' in question. (Unlike the Enuma Elish where she is destroyed…)
This idea that two supposed fundamentally different entities together make up "God" appears backwards.

I think the problem is in the idea that "Spirit" is some "supernatural" thing unrelated to nature and imposes itself into nature and in doing so creates form from the substance of nature (matter) and thus "God" is made.

A more plausible explanation can be offered to account for existence of the universe - in the sense of applying Occam's Razor - (if you have two competing ideas to explain the same phenomenon, you should prefer the simpler one.)

This entails removing the "super" from the natural and being able to explain/account for the same thing (the existence of the universe).
Sure, but that wouldn't be biblical theology, or what Genesis 1 says. :)

That said, although not explicit in Genesis 1 or anywhere else in the bible, I would venture that the spirit of God emerged from the deep as well. So if I had to pick a single substance, it would be matter (in motion), which eventually gave rise to spirit, including the spirit of God.

To understand this, it's helpful to think in terms of ideas, which I would further venture are of the same substance as spirit. So what I'm saying here is no different really than matter giving rise to ideas, which we know it can and has via evolution and whatnot. (To be clear, I don't think spirits are ideas per se -- I think ideas are a more general concept. But thinking in terms of ideas is helpful since they are more familiar to us, and as such help us grasp the properties of spirits...)
It is the union of the two (as One) that is God, and that humankind is made to follow.
That is an interesting statement. Often the Christian claim is "free will" et al - rather than "being made to follow" but aside from that observation, the claim that in the human instruments of "female and male" there can be observed "God" - while interesting, may be somewhat or even completely off track...."missing the mark" as it were.
How so? We are made in the image of God according to Genesis 1 - male and female we were made. As such, is it not plausible to say that God has male and female components if the image of God is male and female? Note as well in Genesis 3 (and elsewhere in the bible) the emphasis on marriage, and two becoming one in a way no different than what I'm saying here... Marriage is the unifying mechanism, and what makes the spirit of God one with the deep. It is a critically important metaphysical concept I think... and is why I keep insisting it is two separate things coming together.

So while I share your predilection for simplicity, it doesn't really carry much weight when it comes to biblical theology and the concepts at play there.
Now, is this imposing a false image? An unnecessary or uncalled for duality in the Source Creator? Maybe. But I honestly think it's just biblical theology. It's how ancient Israel saw God...
Indeed. And so what is modern humanity to do with such ancient ways of "seeing things"? Redefine the theology to better suit the facts?
God is God. I don't think there are any modern facts that have changed that. Or, let me state that differently: What we have on offer here is what ancient Israel decided to call God. Now, whether we call that same thing God as well is our choice, and we can certainly decide to see things differently.

(I would further further venture that God is a title we bestow. It's more of an honorific for the One who fills us with awe, and who we can put our trust in and follow. Ideally we would all share belief in this One...)
I also think we have to recognize that God as such is not the ground and condition for all that is.
Redefine "God" as well?
I'm just conveying God as presented in Genesis 1 and the bible more broadly. I'm not trying to redefine anything. That said, I do think the God presented there goes against the grain of popular theology and Christian belief. Very much so. For instance, God is not the creator of all that is. It is quite clear in Genesis 1 that God did not create tehom or her waters, so anyone who says otherwise is the one trying to redefine things and add to the text what isn't there.
I'm not sure what the 'Source Creator' of that is and I don't think Genesis 1 opines on it either. Again, the spirit of God and the deep are both already there at the beginning. Pre-existent. So I would suggest that God as such is the ground and condition for life. And that's it.
How are you defining "life" that the reader might understand your defining of "God"?

We might be able to agree that "Spirit of God" and "The Deep" are eternal (have no beginning) but can we also agree that there is no "both" involved? That these are aspects of One eternal thing?
I don't have a good definition for life, but I'm sure any textbook answer would suffice. Also, I would say you know it when you see it. In Genesis 1, it takes the form of plants, animals, and human beings.

But no, I wouldn't agree that the spirit of God and the deep are aspects of one eternal thing. I can agree they are both eternal, but not that they are aspects of the same thing. Marriage doesn't work like that. :)

Seriously though, marriage is critically important here, and by definition it is two becoming one. And those two may not always stay together, which is why we see the fall in Genesis 3 and all the mess that follows.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #52

Post by MissKate13 »

theophile wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:56 am
What I am curious to know is how you (and others who have presented similar views here) reconcile the fact that the image of God is man and woman. This suggests that the 'Us' should have both a male and female component to it.

So where is the woman in this mix? Or how would you explain this verse?
What does this have to do with my post or the OP?
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

tam
Savant

Post #53

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
MissKate13 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:33 am
Miles wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:50 pm .

In Genesis 1:26 one reads

"26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

What I get from this is that making man wasn't a solo task, but a cooperative effort of god and, at a minimum, someone/thing else. So, who is this us, and our, and what's the reason for your choice?

Secondary question: being the almighty god he is said to be, why do you think he needed help in making man?

The us and our is speaking of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit who is the ONE true God. All three were present at creation (Gen 1:2, John 1:1).

You’ve missed the point when asking if God needed help. God is ONE, not three. The ONE true God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) created the universe.
I thought you said (you believe) the Son did not exist before Christ was born in the flesh?

Peace again.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #54

Post by JehovahsWitness »

theophile wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:01 pm .... God is not the creator of all that is. It is quite clear in Genesis 1 that God did not create tehom or her waters, so anyone who says otherwise is the one trying to redefine things and add to the text what isn't there.
DID GOD CREATE EVERTHING ?
REVELATION 4:11

“You are worthy, Jehovah our God, to receive the glory and the honor and the power, because you created all things, and because of your will they came into existence and were created.”
DID GOD (YHWH) CREATE THE SEAS AND OCEANS ?

PSALM 95:5
The sea is His (YHWH), for it was He who made it, and His hands formed the dry land.
PSALM 146:6
He is the Maker of heaven and earth, the sea, and everything in them—he remains faithful forever
PSALM 104

He has established the earth on its foundations; It will not be moved from its place forever and ever. You covered it with deep waters as with a garment.

COULD IT BE THAT THERE WAS A GODDESS THAT EXISTED BEFORE JEHOVAH THAT CREATED PARTS OF THE UNIVERSE?
ISAIAH 44:24

This is what Jehovah says, The King of Israel and his Repurchaser, Jehovah of armies: ‘I am the first and I am the last.There is no God but me. Who is there like me? Let him call out and tell it and prove it to me!

DOES SCRIPTURE ACKNOWLEDGE JEHOVAH SHARING SUPREMECY WITH ANY OTHER GODS OR GODDESSES ?
ISAIAH 43: 10b
Before me no God was formed, And after me there has been none.

To learn more please go to other posts related to ....

GOD, GODS and ...JESUS ROLE IN CREATION
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

William
Savant

Post #55

Post by William »

[Replying to theophile in post #51]
So he created man in the image of himself, and only in the aspect of bearing his image, he refers to them as gods.
Therein is the contradiction apparent. On the one hand we have a claim that the biblical God said "Before me there was no God formed, Neither shall there be after me." and on the other hand we have biblical writ claiming the God also refers to humans as "gods".

The contradiction naturally leads to differences among Christians and other competing religions and subsequent in-house fighting so the best course of action re the apparent contradictions would be to accept that The Source Creator does indeed create gods and for reasons which assist in the continuing unfolding of the creation.
There are no contradictions in God’s word other than in the minds of skeptics.
I am not sure what your statement there is attempting to achieve. Perhaps a rebuttal?

Are you suggesting that the bible is the only thing which exists representing "Gods Word"?

If not, then what reason can you give me as to why you wrote that?

If so, then how is it a rebuttal to my own words?

William
Savant

Post #56

Post by William »

[Replying to theophile in post #51]
All I'm saying is that I don't think tehom is meant to be a god or a goddess here. She simply represents primordial waters / the abyss.
I understand that but am pushing further re what the primordial waters / the abyss represent.
Presently you appear to have been saying that it represents - not an aspect of the source creator, but some "other" entity otherwise unrelated. The "Woman" for the "Man".

If we are to go by "images of" and extend that pattern back to the source, then the "Father/Man" and the "Mother/Woman" need to be seen as something created in the image of the Source Creator and are therefore projected aspects of that one being, rather than unrelated entities.
This entails removing the "super" from the natural and being able to explain/account for the same thing (the existence of the universe).
Sure, but that wouldn't be biblical theology, or what Genesis 1 says.
Really? I would say then that it is all about perspective as I clearly see that Genesis isn't saying "God is supernatural."
Granted, I do understand how folk can "see" it that way in the reading of it, but the point is, it doesn't HAVE to be "seen" that way at all.

That said, although not explicit in Genesis 1 or anywhere else in the bible, I would venture that the spirit of God emerged from the deep as well. So if I had to pick a single substance, it would be matter (in motion), which eventually gave rise to spirit, including the spirit of God.
That pov has some validation in the script mentioned in a post I read on this or another thread.
"that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I [am] he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me."

It hints that the god speaking is saying "he" was "formed".

Indeed, it suggests that there well could have been an unformed Source Creator before the formed god was formed.
To understand this, it's helpful to think in terms of ideas, which I would further venture are of the same substance as spirit. So what I'm saying here is no different really than matter giving rise to ideas, which we know it can and has via evolution and whatnot. (To be clear, I don't think spirits are ideas per se -- I think ideas are a more general concept. But thinking in terms of ideas is helpful since they are more familiar to us, and as such help us grasp the properties of spirits...)
Sure.

However, the philosophy I follow has it that matter and mind are the same, and in a timeless state between formation of matter into "a universe" of functional forms in which The Mindful Matter can experience being said objects, the mindful matter is eternal and thus timeless.
The "ideas" you mention, come from that Source Creator through the "breath" which is associated with "The Word" and thus the ideas become real as the matter is organized into objective functional forms which the subjective mind can then experience as real "things".

It is a case of "thinking" those things into existence so that they can then be experienced, but it is the mind having the experience which has, is and always will be the actual real thing because the created things are temporal and because they alone could not even be said to be real if there is no mindfulness to acknowledge their realness.
It is the union of the two (as One) that is God, and that humankind is made to follow.
That is an interesting statement. Often the Christian claim is "free will" et al - rather than "being made to follow" but aside from that observation, the claim that in the human instruments of "female and male" there can be observed "God" - while interesting, may be somewhat or even completely off track...."missing the mark" as it were.
How so? We are made in the image of God according to Genesis 1 - male and female we were made. As such, is it not plausible to say that God has male and female components if the image of God is male and female?
How so is because of the identity stamped into the human mind that humans are flesh rather than mind. (spirit).

Mind is what we are, not the organized matter we currently inhabit. In that sense, we are not just the Source Creators "offspring" but quintessentially, we ARE the Source Mind having an experience as human beings.

That is why - when the god of the genesis story refers to Adam and Eve as if they were flesh rather than spirit, we either have an idiot god who doesn't understand that he is talking to minds (spirit) and is under the illusion that he is talking to dust/clay or the god is identifying them as they have identified themselves/each other. Flesh devices who will one day "return to the dust" that they are.

What the minds that they actually are, experience after the death of the "clay vessels" they were temporally housed within, is "another story" - not unrelated, to their human experience, but different.

Overall, the above is something of a commentary on "The Breath of God." accounting for the "mind" aspect of the overall human experience.
Thus, there is no "idiot god" but there is a someone angry/disappointed one who has to bear the overall responsibility for "his" part in the failure of humans to recognize their true selves - re the "breath".

That is the short version of the overall story. Human personalities are being grown for specific purposes.
I'm saying here... Marriage is the unifying mechanism, and what makes the spirit of God one with the deep. It is a critically important metaphysical concept I think... and is why I keep insisting it is two separate things coming together.
From the perspective I outlined, the "two" is an illusion as there really is only "one". Perhaps the illusion itself is something the mother and father gods are also affected by (or had been at that time) but at the Source, there is and can only ever be The One.

The female/male also comes through in the evidence of Nature, not always separate in form either. The coming together has more to do with the results of multiplying (children) and in the children, the parents are represented as "One" and so on and so forth.

Marriage as an institution has more to do with best means of survival within social structures designed in the manner and under the laws that they are.

Humanity is reaching/grasping for a way to make it work - but the manner in which this is done has more to do with lack of recognition that we are all "one" rather that understanding our shared quintessence derives from The One entity, not "The Two unrelated entities".
So while I share your predilection for simplicity, it doesn't really carry much weight when it comes to biblical theology and the concepts at play there.
I don't think the bible (holistically read) is saying anything other than what I am offering as my particular interpretation but do agree that there are parts which appear to lean toward having humans think of themselves as flesh devices and nothing more.

The individual human personality does have the right to think of their self any way they choose.
Now, is this imposing a false image? An unnecessary or uncalled for duality in the Source Creator? Maybe. But I honestly think it's just biblical theology. It's how ancient Israel saw God...
Indeed. And so what is modern humanity to do with such ancient ways of "seeing things"? Redefine the theology to better suit the facts?
God is God. I don't think there are any modern facts that have changed that.
There are as many versions of "God" as there are human personalities and if modern facts cannot be integrated into those versions, then of what use are facts in relation to the subject of "God"?
What we have on offer here is what ancient Israel decided to call God. Now, whether we call that same thing God as well is our choice, and we can certainly decide to see things differently.
As should be clear enough, the ancient garden story alone can be interpreted differently depending upon HOW the individual personality self identifies.
Thinking of oneself as "mind/spirit" having a human experience allows one to form deeper connection with the Source-Mind, by-passing those ideas of "God" which insist that we identify as the human instrument and that there is a "supernatural" cause which prompted the natural universe to come into existence. That idea is simply an unnecessary addition re Occam's Razor, because it clearly can all be explained naturally enough.
(I would further further venture that God is a title we bestow. It's more of an honorific for the One who fills us with awe, and who we can put our trust in and follow. Ideally we would all share belief in this One...)
This aligns with being able to interpret the first law - "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment." as it means one is free to love the God one has decided on - as it were - aligned also with "I Am That I Am" ( I leave it to you to decide who I am) and therein, I am not obligated to love the God the preacher or any other tells me of. I love the God who loves the me and is capable of showing me that. If that is a "different" God to that of what the preacher or any other tells me, this in itself has no bearing on the love being experienced mutually in the relationship I have with "my" God.
I'm just conveying God as presented in Genesis 1 and the bible more broadly. I'm not trying to redefine anything. That said, I do think the God presented there goes against the grain of popular theology and Christian belief. Very much so. For instance, God is not the creator of all that is. It is quite clear in Genesis 1 that God did not create tehom or her waters, so anyone who says otherwise is the one trying to redefine things and add to the text what isn't there.
Re that, re what I have offered, the God you are focused on, is not the Source Creator, but a creation of the Source Creator.
That in itself is not here nor there unless that God is not being an accurate and honest ambassador to the Source Creator and/or those who are focused on that Created God, are not being accurate an honest ambassadors to that God.

I skip those potential drawbacks by identifying with and focusing upon the Source God but acknowledge that there is biblical writ which suggests that the Biblical God has at least made genuine effort to accurately personify the Source God re the ambassador aspect.

theophile
Guru

Post #57

Post by theophile »

MissKate13 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:28 pm
theophile wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:56 am
What I am curious to know is how you (and others who have presented similar views here) reconcile the fact that the image of God is man and woman. This suggests that the 'Us' should have both a male and female component to it.

So where is the woman in this mix? Or how would you explain this verse?
What does this have to do with my post or the OP?
The OP asks what constitutes the 'Us' in Genesis 1. You gave a very male dominated answer, i.e., you said it is God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. (As have others by the way.)

This flies in the face of Genesis 1:27 -- "And God created man in his own image: in the image of God he created him: male and female he created them."

This verse strongly suggests, does it not, that the 'Us' is constituted by something male and something female? If so, where is the female in God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit?

Furthermore, any answer to the OP should explain this verse, and it should clearly follow why the image of God (or the 'Us' asked about) is man and woman. It doesn't follow at all if the 'Us' is what you say.

theophile
Guru

Post #58

Post by theophile »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:16 pm
theophile wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:01 pm .... God is not the creator of all that is. It is quite clear in Genesis 1 that God did not create tehom or her waters, so anyone who says otherwise is the one trying to redefine things and add to the text what isn't there.
DID GOD CREATE EVERTHING ?

“You are worthy, Jehovah our God, to receive the glory and the honor and the power, because you created all things, and because of your will they came into existence and were created.”
DID GOD (YHWH) CREATE THE SEAS AND OCEANS ?

PSALM 95:5
The sea is His (YHWH), for it was He who made it, and His hands formed the dry land.
PSALM 146:6
He is the Maker of heaven and earth, the sea, and everything in them—he remains faithful forever
PSALM 104

He has established the earth on its foundations; It will not be moved from its place forever and ever. You covered it with deep waters as with a garment.

COULD IT BE THAT THERE WAS A GODDESS THAT EXISTED BEFORE JEHOVAH THAT CREATED PARTS OF THE UNIVERSE?
ISAIAH 44:24

This is what Jehovah says, The King of Israel and his Repurchaser, Jehovah of armies: ‘I am the first and I am the last.There is no God but me. Who is there like me? Let him call out and tell it and prove it to me!

DOES SCRIPTURE ACKNOWLEDGE JEHOVAH SHARING SUPREMECY WITH ANY OTHER GODS OR GODDESSES ?
ISAIAH 43: 10b
Before me no God was formed, And after me there has been none.

To learn more please go to other posts related to ....

GOD, GODS and ...JESUS ROLE IN CREATION
All these verses you cite are lovely, but all they speak to are the heavens and the earth and all that is in them that were made WITHIN tehom, whose waters we know continue to surround creation post Genesis 1.

So to counter my point, you'd have to show me where God created tehom / the waters and all the formless earth in it. God may have formed the seas and dry land WITH these raw materials, but this was more an act of SEPARATION than it was the production of water and earth from nothing... (These raw materials pre-exist Genesis 1 and are never 'created' there or anywhere else in the bible.)

And that's the difference: all these verses are about FORMATION, like how a sculptor forms or makes a pot from raw clay. They are not creatio ex nihilo as if the clay itself was made by God.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #59

Post by JehovahsWitness »

theophile wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:16 am

So to counter my point, you'd have to show me where God created tehom / the waters and all the formless earth in it.
Are these waters a "thing" or are the "nothing"? Because according to scripture all THINGS, ( everything) was created by Jehovah/YHWH.

“You are worthy, Jehovah our God, to receive the glory and the honor and the power, because you created all things..”

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

theophile
Guru

Post #60

Post by theophile »

William wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:42 pm [Replying to theophile in post #51]
So he created man in the image of himself, and only in the aspect of bearing his image, he refers to them as gods.
Therein is the contradiction apparent. On the one hand we have a claim that the biblical God said "Before me there was no God formed, Neither shall there be after me." and on the other hand we have biblical writ claiming the God also refers to humans as "gods".

The contradiction naturally leads to differences among Christians and other competing religions and subsequent in-house fighting so the best course of action re the apparent contradictions would be to accept that The Source Creator does indeed create gods and for reasons which assist in the continuing unfolding of the creation.
There are no contradictions in God’s word other than in the minds of skeptics.
I am not sure what your statement there is attempting to achieve. Perhaps a rebuttal?

Are you suggesting that the bible is the only thing which exists representing "Gods Word"?

If not, then what reason can you give me as to why you wrote that?

If so, then how is it a rebuttal to my own words?
Was this one misdirected? I never said any of these things.