Shouldn't the Christian Infighting be Over?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Shouldn't the Christian Infighting be Over?

Post #1

Post by POI »

1213 made an excellent point in post 556 of this thread (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39327&start=550). He stated:

"People have enough understanding to get it and if someone thinks he doesn't have it, he can always ask wisdom from God to understand it correctly.".

Followed by the given Bible verse to back up his claim (i.e.):

But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach; and it will be given to him.
James 1:5

Well, some here claim to have such communication with "the almighty."

For debate: If the above verse is true, as well as Christians whose claims also comport with the Biblical claim, then why do Christians not know some Biblical answers? Case/point, I recently asked about the topic of Genesis being literal, vs. not? The Christian, who answered thus far, claims (paraphrased) -- they cannot know for sure, because the author is dead. Why wouldn't this individual simply ask for wisdom, in accordance with the Bible's claim?

Reference (viewtopic.php?t=41373). Post #16.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

POI
Prodigy

Re: Shouldn't the Christian Infighting be Over?

Post #21

Post by POI »

Mae von H wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:15 am 1) There is no promise for knowing the truth by merely asking. 2) I’ve know some who walked away from the faith and intellectual reasons were NEVER the reason although it sounded better than the truth.
1) Then James 1 is wrong. For the ones who do not doubt, receive 'wisdom'. Maybe you are a doubter too?
2) Even IF you were right, do you admit your response swings BOTH directions? Meaning, intellectual reasons is NEVER what makes one BECOME a believer? If so, then intellectual debate is useless, in any attempt to convert anyone -- (from one direction or the other).

(Mea) There are not a few scientists who became believers in the claims of Christ after researching real science after the undergraduate courses. I’ve read their accounts. Real science led them to God.

(POI) You missed my response entirely. Many, who are brought up as believers, later fall away, after taking science courses. My son is one of them. He was a true-blue believer who wanted some day to be a leader in some capacity. Maybe if he too was aware that Genesis and beyond were nowhere near as literal as it reads, he might still be a believer. I guess God's word was given haphazardly (as to so easily misinterpret Genesis and beyond), to cause even the earnest to so easily fall away.

(Mea) The Enemy posed a similar “test” and Jesus responded that we are not to test the Lord that way. Besides, if I were 100% accurate, you’d never surrender your life to Himbased on that flimsy test.

(POI) So now I'm 'the enemy'? Nice. I guess this is one way to avoid requests. :approve: I'm asking to be converted to your side. If you had any confidence/belief/trust, per James 1, I doubt you would resort to such excuses.

(Mea) I know Him and you don’t do you don’t understand what it is to try to deceive the Almighty. Besides you’d never make the major surrender of you life in that flimsy event.

(POI) How do you know? If you told me my age, weight, eye color, favorite food, the town/city I live in, and favorite music band, I would be floored. But you know you cannot. This begins to tell me you are likely not speaking to anyone other than yourself in prayer, which also states God will provide a response as requested. I doubt such a prayer request, done in earnest by a true believer, would go ignored. Which is why you offer flimsy excuses, in an attempt to mask the real reason He's is not going to answer. Which is, he's likely simply not really there to answer. Please remember, I reckon Jesus/God wants people to believe and worship him. Ignoring simple requests is not a logical or reasonable way to achieve his goal. Also see here...(viewtopic.php?t=40313)

(Mea) Sigh! Believers don’t ask God what to believe. Why can’t you remember this?

(POI) James 1 states that God gives wisdom. Having wisdom includes having knowledge. Knowing the correct answer to a topic is part of this... You have a lifeline in which unbelievers do not have. Why don't you use it? Maybe because, deep down, you already realize you are obtaining all your "wisdom" on your own merits alone, with absolutely no help from any perceived external agency at all, (i.e.) Jesus/God? Maybe, deep down, you know James 1, as well as all the other verses about prayer, are nonsense? Which is why the debate will continue. You all come to your own conclusions alone, just like us atheists. With no help from the divine.

You folks have a direct lifeline to end all your infighting, and you guys do not utilize it?

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

POI
Prodigy

Post #22

Post by POI »

William wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:17 am [Replying to POI in post #1]
For debate: If the above verse is true,
Isn't that a problem you are trying to address? Should we take the verse literally or figuratively? Yes? No?
So which one is it, and why?

William
Savant

Post #23

Post by William »

POI wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:46 am
Isn't that a problem you are trying to address? Should we take the verse literally or figuratively? Yes? No?
You are using the verse, so you tell me. Are you using it as a literal device or a figurative one, and why?

POI
Prodigy

Post #24

Post by POI »

William wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:47 am
You are using the verse, so you tell me. Are you using it as a literal device or a figurative one, and why?
If you've been reading my responses to Mea, you would already know the answer. So I guess this makes your question(s) rhetorical. Are we wrong? If so, why?

Muckman
Student

Post #25

Post by Muckman »

[Replying to POI in post #24]

Christian infighting will never be over. Everybody believes they have the truth even though everyone's truth is different. Christianity is the most divided religion on earth. Sad but true.

William
Savant

Post #26

Post by William »

POI wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:53 am
If you've been reading my responses to Mea, you would already know the answer. So I guess this makes your question(s) rhetorical. Are we wrong? If so, why?
I have not been reading much of the interaction mentioned. So, are you using the verse as a literal device or a figurative one, and why?

POI
Prodigy

Post #27

Post by POI »

William wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:20 pm
I have not been reading much of the interaction mentioned. So, are you using the verse as a literal device or a figurative one, and why?
It does not matter what we think. You apparently have direct access to the truth, via 'father/son". What is it, literal or figurative?

William
Savant

Post #28

Post by William »

POI wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:49 pm
William wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:20 pm
It does not matter what we think.
So are you saying that your answer to my question is "It doesn't matter what we think"?

If so, I wasn't asking you what you think. I was asking why you used the verse and whether you were using the verse as a literal of figurative device.

POI
Prodigy

Post #29

Post by POI »

William wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:15 pm I was asking why you used the verse and whether you were using the verse as a literal of figurative device.
Then your questions were already answered in the original post.

William
Savant

Post #30

Post by William »

POI wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:37 pm
William wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:15 pm I was asking why you used the verse and whether you were using the verse as a literal of figurative device.
Then your questions were already answered in the original post.
Can you quote where that is please as on cursory scan, I I see the reason why you are using the verse, but cannot see where you say you are or are not using the verse literally or figuratively.