Is there a universally condemnable sin?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

sin_is_fun
Sage

Is there a universally condemnable sin?

Post #1

Post by sin_is_fun »

I was wondering whether we have some sin which is condemned by every society and culture in the world.I couldnt think of any.

1.Murder:
No.Mercy killing is legal in many countries,war is permitted,war heroes are hailed.

2.Rape:
No.One major religion allows having sex with slaves.In many cultures carrying away a woman and marrying her is considered as virtue.

3.Theft:

Wars and colonizing is not considered as thefts.Further lenin equated a businessman who makes profit to a thief.

So I am confused.Do we have a universally condemnable sin?

sin_is_fun
Sage

Post #11

Post by sin_is_fun »

Corvus wrote:No, but they don't normally punish you for lusting after someone either. A sin is not exactly the same as a crime, though I suppose you could argue that, from a human perspective, they have a similar goal.
Sin and crimes share many common properties.But I dont think many cultures will call picking nose and eating it as a sin.It might be considered as a bad habit,but certainly not as a sin.Does christianity call it as a sin?I dont think so.10 commandments doesnt ban it. :P

Corvus
Guru

Post #12

Post by Corvus »

Well, since sin is a semitic notion it would impossible to find a concept of sin outside those nations that have adopted semitic religion. The closest thing is "crime", but that's something else entirely, which may even come into conflict with sin on what should be allowed or proscribed. Generally, crime is what goes against the wishes of other people in a community, society or populace. Sin is what goes against the wishes of God, which just happens to include some things that go against the wishes of the community, society or populace, but also includes a useless spiritual element that takes into account worship and religious duties.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

sin_is_fun
Sage

Post #13

Post by sin_is_fun »

Corvus wrote:Well, since sin is a semitic notion it would impossible to find a concept of sin outside those nations that have adopted semitic religion. The closest thing is "crime", but that's something else entirely, which may even come into conflict with sin on what should be allowed or proscribed. Generally, crime is what goes against the wishes of other people in a community, society or populace. Sin is what goes against the wishes of God, which just happens to include some things that go against the wishes of the community, society or populace, but also includes a useless spiritual element that takes into account worship and religious duties.
You have outlined the reasons for non-existence of universal sins.For similiar reasons universal crimes too dont exist.Somehow crimes and sins have close relationship with each other,but as society becomes secular they tend to differ.Till yesterday gay marriage was a crime as well as sin in canada,but from today onwards it is just sin and not a crime. :P

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by McCulloch »

sin_is_fun wrote:Till yesterday gay marriage was a crime as well as sin in canada,but from today onwards it is just sin and not a crime. :P
Your statement is not strictly true. The new same sex marriage law has not become the law of the land. It must still pass the Senate and get Royal assent. These two acts are mere formalities but they still must happen before the bill is the law. On the other hand, courts in the majority of the provinces have ruled that our bill of rights means that same-sex marriage cannot be legally prevented. So gay marriage has been legal in Canada for a number of months now.

sin_is_fun
Sage

Post #15

Post by sin_is_fun »

I gave that just as an example for difference between sins and crimes.

Nathan

Post #16

Post by Nathan »

I don't see how its possible to have a "universally condemable sin". If it was universally condemable, then surely, no-one would be doing it (you know, the whole meaning of the term "universal") and so the issue would never arise. Now obviously, your not taking "univerally" that literally. So let me put it a different way. If some people are commiting this sin that you propose as universally condemable, then chances are, one or two of them are going to have made it into some position of authority.[/i]

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by McCulloch »

Matricide ?

sin_is_fun
Sage

Post #18

Post by sin_is_fun »

McCulloch wrote:Matricide ?
Not if you live in middle east and your mother commits adultery.

sin_is_fun
Sage

Post #19

Post by sin_is_fun »

McCulloch wrote:Matricide ?
Not if you live in middle east and your mother commits adultery.

melikio
Guru

No...no "wrong" is universal....

Post #20

Post by melikio »

No...no "wrong" is universal (in the mind of human beings).

IF there is a perfect standard, we can only know it by "faith" (it hasn't been displayed or adhered to by human beings).

Right/wrong (for better of for worse) differs from culture to culture, and often from person to person. So what people consider/believe to be condemnable or a sin at all varies (yes, even between "Christians").

LOVE is the most universally accepted practical and moral value I have known. Jesus knew our human nature, and realized that people would spend MASSIVE mental and emotional energy playing around with "right" and "wrong"; He made LOVE the standard by which those who would follow Him were to gauge their sensibilities and actions. Beyond that, every right/wrong (or concept thereof), tends to be affected by our "humaness"; Jesus was aware of that.

Additionally, one of the biggest discrepancies I see today, relates to the hypocritical-delusion that anyone is "good"; our nature can be controlled and overcome in general...but we really aren't "good". I may love people (a choice), yet I don't fool myself by imagining they don't ALL struggle with good/evil.

-Mel-
"It is better to BE more like Jesus and assume to speak less for God." -MA-