Can we find good in God?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Can we find good in God?

Post #1

Post by marco »

I cannot see much in the OT God beyond violence and anger. He may have removed the splinter from someone's foot but the general picture, for me, is one of unremitting terror, except when he is addressing a favourite human. For example, what friend would ask a father to kill his son?

We can all find examples of savagery, brutality, jealousy, spite ,,, but since it is Christmas, can we try to find examples where Jehovah is unambiguously kind?

Or is Jehovah simply beyond redemption?

tam
Savant

Re: Can we find good in God?

Post #61

Post by tam »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 56 by tam]

Sorry about going off topic, but honestly, I post so many topics where I spend the first three pages just trying to keep the OP on topic, and taking what you said did give you an excellent reveal, which you rather ignored.
I don't have a problem with off-topic; happens all the time. It was just really abrupt and had nothing to do with anything in the thread. That I could see, at least.

So what 'reveal' do you believe was made?
I am a real provable person. Jesus and God's existence is lost in ambiguity and logic, at best.

For you, perhaps. Not for me.
You should have better reason to accept my promise, and to stay on topic, goodness, than God's.
Why? I don't know you. I doubt that you have 1-3 million dollars to offer me (now or in the future), and even if you did, excess money is not something I love or seek.

On top of THAT ... your question is assuming that the reason I love and follow Christ and God is because of a promise; rather than because of who they ARE. Christ ALREADY did things for me... and that is an understatement. He gave His life; HE loved ME before I ever loved Him. He is not apart from me, but here, with me, guiding me, speaking, loving, teaching.

I follow Him because I love Him. And because the Father drew me to Him. And because I love truth... and wanted to know truth. I could keep going...

And yet whose (good) promise do you defend?
The promise from the One who has more than proven His love for me; who has more than proven His faithfulness, his honesty; the One who has never lied to me; the One I know I can believe every word He speaks; the One who died and came to life again; the One who knows and reveals the Father.
The one from an entity of unprovable existence with an unprovable promise.
See above.
I can at least re-affirm my promise to you ad infinitum, God can not.
You mean you can repeat some words... anyone can repeat words (and you can't do that ad infinitum, because at some point your words will cease).

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

William
Savant

Re: Can we find good in God?

Post #62

Post by William »

[Replying to post 59 by marco]
I re-read my OP to see to what extent I am responsible for your apparent misunderstanding but I cannot attach any blame to myself. I wanted examples from the OT to show that the character there depicted acted generously in his dealings with humans. The primal act of creating volcanoes, rivers, hurricanes, rainbows and tectonic faults - then inventing death - is scene setting.
Yes correct. The scene is part of the story and in relation to the scrutinized character, the scene was also his invention and so one can attribute to the scene, things both good and evil, and through that observation one can show that there is good in the GOD - else there would only be evil in the scene setting. The OP was asking for such exmples.
So you are anachronistically quoting fine wine, ice cream, holidays abroad, excellent films and so on as benefits the Biblical Yahweh showered on the old nomads. You've just misunderstood the OP but it matters little.
Well that was also something I pointed out to you. The idea that GOD is the same 'yesterday, today and forever' can be aligned with the idea of a GOD evolving within the understanding of human beings. The GODs position as [he] knows [himself] is simply different from the the way the religions portray [him].

That is what my diagram was attempting to help show.

Enjoy the Eden you suppose we possess and Ill struggle with the snake in my garden.
Your snake is a worm like the mountain is a molehill.