"Easter", as remembered and celebrated today.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
Checkpoint
Prodigy
Posts: 4038
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:07 pm
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 62 times

"Easter", as remembered and celebrated today.

Post #1

Post by Checkpoint »

I do not refer to its name but to the events that are believed to have happened 2000 years ago, and their significance.

Where do you stand, and why?

For_The_Kingdom
Guru
Posts: 1916
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 3:29 pm

Post #41

Post by For_The_Kingdom »

brianbbs67 wrote: Duet.12:4 and 12:29-13:1 seem to apply here.
Um, I don't think so. When children have egg hunts and eat chocolate bunnies, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the worshiping of a pagan god. Nothing. If that is what it is about, then I would absolutely, positively agree with you.

But it isn't, so I don't.

If you guys (particularly Jehovah's Witnesses) were that concerned about staying away from practices which has pagan origins, then there are a lot of things that you are currently doing, that you would STOP doing.

The days of the week:
the name of each day of the week has pagan origins. So, demonstrate your "pagan outrage" by creating a customized calendar and change the name for each day of the week.

Are you going to do that? No, you won't.

The months of the year:
the name of each month of the year has pagan origins. So, demonstrate your "pagan outrage" by creating a customized calendar by changing the name of each month of the year.

Show God that you mean business. Are you going to do that? No, you won't.

Wedding rings:
Wedding rings have pagan origins. Look it up. You didn't know? Well, now you know. So, you will be held accountable to God based on what you know. So now that you know, rid yourselves of your wedding rings. Tell your spouse that it has pagan origins and is therefore not honoring to God. Go ahead. Show God that you mean business.

Are you going to do that? No, you won't. So stop it. No one is out there honoring pagan gods by having Easter egg hunts. No one is out there honoring pagan gods by eating yummy chocolate bunnies. So stop creating straw man. Stop the inconsistencies.

Just stop it. Unless you are going to walk the walk, don't talk the talk.

For_The_Kingdom
Guru
Posts: 1916
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 3:29 pm

Post #42

Post by For_The_Kingdom »

onewithhim wrote:
We can't very well "brush off" the days of the week. Explain to me how we would get along in this world if we decided to change the names. How would we coincide our days with everybody else's days? Tell me that.


But we can refuse to celebrate a holiday named after a pagan goddess, with no repercussions other than people thinking we are taking our respect for Christ too far. What possible reason is there for hanging a goddess' name on to the celebration of Christ's resurrection? Why not celebrate it without the goddess and her symbols?

:flower:
Trust me, if it was that "serious" to you, you would find a way. You talk about getting "along in this world", yet Jehovah's Witnesses are always quick to remind people that we (Christians) are not to be "of this world".

Yet in this case, you are simply basing being "off this world", off of convenience, and what is convenient.

It was "convenient" for Daniel to not pray to God when the "world" (the law of the land) said that the people were not to pray to any god for 30 days. It was convenient for Daniel to be "of the world" in that case. But he chose to obey God instead.

So if you were truly against practices rooted with paganism. You and the WTS would find a way to rid yourselves of involvement regarding anything pagan rooted, and not base whether or not you obey what you believe in honoring to God on a matter of convenience.

If the days/months of the week thing is too much for you, you can certainly stop wearing wedding rings (which have pagan origins), can't you? But will you? No, you won't.

But for the "days of the week" thing; it is simple. You don't have to call the days of the week by its "name". You can simply call the day by the number, correct? So instead of calling today "Sunday", just simply say "the 12th of the 5th month".

Anything wrong with that? Nope.

You dare ask..

"Explain to me how we would get along in this world if we decided to change the names. How would we coincide our days with everybody else's days?"

Yet, if the organization suddenly had a "brightening" of the "light", and it was passed down from the Governing Body to its constituents that wedding rings are now forbidden and that JW's would take efforts to no longer pagan rooted days of the weeks and months of the year; you wouldn't dare ask them the question of "How would we coincide our days with everyone else's days".

You will simply roll with the punches and take your orders, and your next field service will consist of proudly and boldly handing out Watch Tower literature as you tell people this "new" revelation of what Christians should no longer do.

So, you will listen to them (Governing Body) as it pertains to this subject...but you won't listen to me (little bitty ole me).

And that is part of the problem, no "free thinking"..and all commands come from the tower...just shut up, take your orders, don't ask questions, and keep it moving.

For_The_Kingdom
Guru
Posts: 1916
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 3:29 pm

Re: "Easter", as remembered and celebrated today.

Post #43

Post by For_The_Kingdom »

onewithhim wrote: Then why call it "Easter"??? Why celebrate his resurrection with rabbits and eggs?
This is a straw man. No one is "celebrating" the Resurrection of Christ with rabbits and eggs.

As far as I am concerned, there is no correlation of the two events. Either way, no Christian that I know celebrates Easter with a pagan god in mind.

Checkpoint
Prodigy
Posts: 4038
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:07 pm
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Post #44

Post by Checkpoint »

onewithhim wrote:
Checkpoint wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote: Duet.12:4 and 12:29-13:1 seem to apply here.
It would.

We can ignore pagan trappings and traditions, and honor and remember what God has done for us in His Son, in thanksgiving and worship.

The name "Easter" is an unfortunate legacy of history, that's all it is, a pagan goddess.

Just one of many we are stuck with.

Every day of the week we are stuck with the names of gods or goddesses.

We ignore their origin and get on with our real day-to-day living, don't we?

So, give pagan whatever the brush-off, and give God the glory and praise!
We can't very well "brush off" the days of the week. Explain to me how we would get along in this world if we decided to change the names. How would we coincide our days with everybody else's days? Tell me that.

But we can refuse to celebrate a holiday named after a pagan goddess, with no repercussions other than people thinking we are taking our respect for Christ too far. What possible reason is there for hanging a goddess' name on to the celebration of Christ's resurrection? Why not celebrate it without the goddess and her symbols?

:flower:
Millions of believers can and do celebrate Christ, our Passover lamb, every year, and do so by ignoring the pagan trappings of this world, giving them the brush-off.

It's not about outward names, but about inward realities.

We do not "celebrate a holiday named after a pagan goddess", that's what the world does.

We celebrate the death and resurrection of "the lamb of God", with all that that means.

We will continue to do this year by year, and will not allow the mistakes of those who came before us, or anyone else, to steal our joy.

brianbbs67
Guru
Posts: 1871
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:07 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Post #45

Post by brianbbs67 »

Sojournerofthearth wrote: [Replying to post 35 by Checkpoint]

just brush it off... God will understand...

Take heed to yourself, that you be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before you; and that you inquire not after their gods, saying, how did these nations serve their gods?

Whatever things I command you, observe to do it: you shall not add to it or diminish from it.


and there's the little thing that none of the disciples observed Easter... they observed Passover.
That's my whole point. Why do we not follow Christ as all the disciples and the second and third generation did? Even Paul did this. The Way was a sect of Judaism. We don't follow Christ as Christ instructed. Why does everyone ignore this, and quote Paul, against his meaning? Is Paul greater than Christ? I celebrate the Feast of unleaven Bread, not Easter or Christmas as a religious or holy day. Because they are not religious or holy. They are traditions of men. Anyone remember what Christ said the traditions of men did to God's law?

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 18432
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 449 times
Been thanked: 705 times
Contact:

Post #46

Post by JehovahsWitness »

brianbbs67 wrote: The Way was a sect of Judaism. We don't follow Christ as Christ instructed. Why does everyone ignore this, and quote Paul, against his meaning? Is Paul greater than Christ? I celebrate the Feast of unleaven Bread, ...
If you think that the way was simply a sect of Judaism you are being just like Jesus enemies the Pharisees, which is what Paul preached against. The writings of Paul reflect a correct understanding of Christianity as an entirely new creation not a break off from the old.

Jesus did not jnstruct his folowers to celebrate the seven day Jewish festival of unleaven bread (cakes) and I seriously if you do anyway, that is unless you only eat unleven bread with your meals for seven days and go to the Temple in Jerusalem to offer a wave offering while your high priest sacrifices as sheep. Did you rebuild the Temple and appoint a descendant of Aaron as High Priest to celebrate the Feast of unleaven Bread if not, whatever you do it isn't Feast of unleaven Bread anywhere except in your imagination?


JESUS didn't ask his followers to keep any of the Jewish festivals. What he did ask was that his followers remember his death by means of a very simple ceremony that involved gathering together on a specific date with bread and wine. And Paul endorsed this.




JW



RELATED POSTS
What did Jesus mean when he said he came to fulfill the law?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 336#879336

Did Jesus indicate he came start a "new" religion ?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 645#792645

Why did Jesus only introduce the notion of his sacrificial death towards the end of his ministry?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 638#962638



Go to other posts related to EASTER, CHRISTIANITY and ...RANSOM
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon May 13, 2019 12:42 am, edited 6 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 18432
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 449 times
Been thanked: 705 times
Contact:

Post #47

Post by JehovahsWitness »

brianbbs67 wrote: I celebrate the Feast of unleaven Bread, not Easter or Christmas as a religious or holy day.

So do you celebrate Easter or Christmas as a secular celebration, participating on a non-religious level?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Checkpoint
Prodigy
Posts: 4038
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:07 pm
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Post #48

Post by Checkpoint »

brianbbs67 wrote:
Sojournerofthearth wrote: [Replying to post 35 by Checkpoint]

just brush it off... God will understand...

Take heed to yourself, that you be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before you; and that you inquire not after their gods, saying, how did these nations serve their gods?

Whatever things I command you, observe to do it: you shall not add to it or diminish from it.


and there's the little thing that none of the disciples observed Easter... they observed Passover.
That's my whole point. Why do we not follow Christ as all the disciples and the second and third generation did? Even Paul did this. The Way was a sect of Judaism. We don't follow Christ as Christ instructed. Why does everyone ignore this, and quote Paul, against his meaning? Is Paul greater than Christ? I celebrate the Feast of unleaven Bread, not Easter or Christmas as a religious or holy day. Because they are not religious or holy. They are traditions of men. Anyone remember what Christ said the traditions of men did to God's law?
Many of us ask "why" too, and add "if only".

However, your point as expressed in this post, raises its own questions.

Christ's instructions about remembering him are being followed, aren't they?

How do we "quote Paul, against his meaning"?

You see a need you feel strongly about, and live accordingly.

Good for you.

Expressing your concerns will not move the mountain, however, but faith in action can make possible what seems impossible.

Do you have any ideas or ways you think may begin to turn things to what should and could be?

brianbbs67
Guru
Posts: 1871
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:07 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Post #49

Post by brianbbs67 »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote: The Way was a sect of Judaism. We don't follow Christ as Christ instructed. Why does everyone ignore this, and quote Paul, against his meaning? Is Paul greater than Christ? I celebrate the Feast of unleaven Bread, ...
If you think that the way was simply a sect of Judaism you are being just like Jesus enemies the Pharisees, which is what Paul preached against. The writings of Paul reflect a correct understanding of Christianity as an entirely new creation not a break off from the old.

Jesus did not jnstruct his folowers to celebrate the seven day Jewish festival of unleaven bread (cakes) and I seriously if you do anyway, that is unless you only eat unleven bread with your meals for seven days and go to the Temple in Jerusalem to offer a wave offering while your high priest sacrifices as sheep. Did you rebuild the Temple and appoint a descendant of Aaron as High Priest to celebrate the Feast of unleaven Bread if not, whatever you do it isn't Feast of unleaven Bread anywhere except in your imagination?


JESUS didn't ask his followers to keep any of the Jewish festivals. What he did ask was that his followers remember his death by means of a very simple ceremony that involved gathering together on a specific date with bread and wine. And Paul endorsed this.




JW



RELATED POSTS
What did Jesus mean when he said he came to fulfill the law?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 336#879336

Did Jesus indicate he came start a "new" religion ?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 645#792645

Why did Jesus only introduce the notion of his sacrificial death towards the end of his ministry?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 638#962638



Go to other posts related to EASTER, CHRISTIANITY and ...RANSOM
First one, Jesus was a jew and came in his words only to the lost sheep of Isreal. Prophecy of Isreal coming to life. What did Christ tell us to do? Chiefly follow the law. To the Pharisees and onlookers, he said, "they sit in Moses' seat, what they say, do"

Second they are not Jewish Feasts, but Gods. "These are My feasts and appointed times"

Yes I eat only unleavened bread for a week. Its not that hard. None of the temple or priest law is able to be carried out as scripture indicates, so no trip to Temple as their is none.

Christ most certainly told. emphatically. His disciples to follow the law and commandments. Its all over the 4 Gospels. There's even a thread here about it. He followed it perfectly.

Are we not to follow Christ? The disciples, including Paul, all kept the feasts and holy days of God. Christ did and spoke in the Temple. He never said don't speak in the temple on the Sabbath(or have one on Sunday, neither did God)). So, are we to follow what Christ did or what man thinks it means? What does it mean to follow the way of someone?

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 18432
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 449 times
Been thanked: 705 times
Contact:

Post #50

Post by JehovahsWitness »

brianbbs67 wrote:
What did Christ tell us to do? Chiefly follow the law.
Who do you mean by "us" are you Jewish? The Mosaic law was given only and exclusively to the descendants of Abraham, and Jesus mission was only to be to minister to these people, so unless you are a Jew there is no "us" under the law, there is only "them". Jesus never instructed a single non Jew to follow the law.
PSALMS 147:19- 20

He declares his word to Jacob, His regulations and judgments to Israel. He has not done so with any other nation
EXODUS 31:17

".... It is a lasting covenant. It is an enduring sign between me and the people of Israel" - NWT

brianbbs67 wrote:
Christ most certainly told. emphatically. His disciples to follow the law and commandments
That is because most of his disciples were Jews. Before the law was "fulfilled" it was right and proper that Jews should observe Jewish law and keep the festivals, but Jesus was very clear, that day would come when worship at the temple would come to an end.
JOHN 4: 20

"The hour is coming when neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship the Father." - NWT

JW


To learn more please go to other posts related to ...

BIBLICAL LAW, THE MOSAIC LAW COVENANT and ...THE ABRAHAMIC CONVENANT
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:25 am, edited 14 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Post Reply