Moderator: Moderators

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Sect vs Sect

Post #1

Post by boatsnguitars »

Mormonism's criticisms of other Christian sects:

Mormons believe that their church is the true restoration of the original Christian church established by Jesus Christ, and they view other Christian sects as having lost important teachings and practices. They criticize traditional Christianity for its lack of belief in continuing revelation and the need for modern prophets, as well as its rejection of the Book of Mormon as a sacred text. Mormons also criticize other Christian sects for their traditional views on marriage and family, which they see as being outdated and limiting.

Jehovah's Witnesses' criticisms of other Christian sects:

Jehovah's Witnesses believe that their church is the only true Christian faith, and they criticize other Christian sects for their failure to follow biblical teachings and their acceptance of pagan practices. They criticize Catholicism for its use of statues and icons in worship, as well as its belief in the doctrine of the Trinity. They also criticize Protestantism for its rejection of the divine name of God, Jehovah, and its belief in the immortality of the soul.

Catholicism's criticisms of Protestantism:

Catholics have criticized Protestants for rejecting the authority of the Pope and for the fragmentation of Protestantism into many different denominations. Catholics also criticize Protestant beliefs in "faith alone" salvation, which they see as minimizing the importance of good works and sacraments. Additionally, Catholics often see the lack of a strong liturgical tradition and the use of contemporary worship styles in Protestantism as detracting from the reverence and solemnity of worship.

Protestantism's criticisms of Catholicism:

Protestants have criticized Catholicism for what they see as an excessive focus on tradition and the authority of the Church hierarchy over the individual believer. Protestants also criticize Catholic beliefs in the sacraments, especially the idea of transubstantiation in the Eucharist, as well as the practice of confession to a priest. Additionally, Protestants often criticize the veneration of saints and the use of icons in Catholicism as being contrary to biblical teachings.

Calvinism's criticisms of other Christian sects:

Calvinists believe in the doctrine of predestination, which holds that God has already determined who will be saved and who will be damned. As a result, Calvinists often criticize other Christian sects for their belief in free will and the idea that people can choose to accept or reject salvation. They also criticize Catholicism for its reliance on tradition and the authority of the Pope, and they view many Protestant sects as having abandoned important theological principles.

In conclusion, each of these Christian sects has its own unique beliefs and practices, which can lead to criticisms and disagreements with other sects. These criticisms reflect the diverse ways in which different Christian communities interpret and practice their faith, and the ways in which they view other sects that may differ from their own.

1. How do Mormons view the role of the Book of Mormon in relation to the Bible?
2. What is the Jehovah's Witnesses' stance on blood transfusions, and how does this affect their relationship with other Christian sects?
3. How does Catholicism's view of the sacraments differ from Protestantism's?
4. What specific theological principles do Calvinists believe other Protestant sects have abandoned?
5. Are there any areas of overlap or shared beliefs between these different Christian sects?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Sect vs Sect

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:37 pm
2. What is the Jehovah's Witnesses' stance on blood transfusions, and how does this affect their relationship with ... Christian sects?
We don't really have a relationship with Christian sects; we preach to their members and try and help them to learn bible truths but that is the extent of our "relationship" with the various sects and denominations of Christendom.

RELATED POSTS
Which religions are part of Babylon the Great?
viewtopic.php?p=1038821#p1038821

Will all the religions be destroyed when Babylon is destroyed?
viewtopic.php?p=1096768#p1096768

Do JWs consider the individual members of false religions to be "harlots" (prostitutes)?
viewtopic.php?p=1038822#p1038822

Who Is the Antichrist?
viewtopic.php?p=1039331#p1039331
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

BABYLON THE GREAT , CHRISTIANITY and ...CHRISTIAN DENOMINATIONS
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by boatsnguitars »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:17 pm
We don't really have a relationship with Christian sects; we preach to their members and try and help them to learn bible truths but that is the extent of our "relationship" with the various sects and denominatiin of Christendom.
Sure, they must love an 1872 cult telling them the "truth"! You are so noble!

I bet the Franciscan monks must really love it. After all the education they go through, all the reading of the Church Fathers writings, all the apocryphal writings, all the years of careful, required study, they get to be straightened out by some yokels from near my hometown!

I will give you that he had a better idea of divinity bestowed upon Jesus. This is the atheist Bart Erhmans claim. He thinks that's how the early believers saw it. The rest of JW beliefs are nutty.
Last edited by boatsnguitars on Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
― Omar Khayyâm

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:35 pm

I bet the Franciscan monks must really love it. After all the education they go through, all the reading of the Church Fathers writings, all the apocryphal writings, all the years of careful, required study, they get to be straightened out by some yokels from near my hometown!
I meant no offense if you are Catholic. We just do not hold to your teachings or your interpretations. If people do not agree with what we have to say they are welcome to ignore us. We repect the people who have made efforts to please God as best they know how but that doesnt make it biblically right and we feel under no obligation to give false teachings any regard.

Respect,

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by boatsnguitars »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #4]

You mean no offense, you just think everyone else is wrong because of a religion you chose to follow one day. You are so magnanimous!
― Omar Khayyâm

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:46 pm [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #4]

You mean no offense, you just think everyone else is wrong because of a religion you chose to follow one day. You are so magnanimous!
Thank you for understanding. People get touchy about their religion but in the end as long as you are happy, thats the important thing.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

RELATED POSTS
Do all Christian denomination have Gods approval?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 93#p996193

Do the Jehovah's Witnesses believe in the notion one true Christian faith?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 30#p861330

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by boatsnguitars »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #6]

I guess you'll take praise where you can get it, even false praise, since JWs are so routinely mocked by everyone.

The persecution complex can be a powerful addiction to some.

And yes, we all noticed you meant no offense if I was Catholic, but if I wasn't, you did. May you get all that you deserve!
― Omar Khayyâm

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:06 am [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #6]

And yes, we all noticed you meant no offense if I was Catholic, but if I wasn't, you did. May you get all that you deserve!

I don't mean to offend anyone but that doesnt mean I will withold speaking the truth. As one Jesus of Nazareth said, "The truth shall set you free". Still I do tend to be too direct at times so if I have hurt your feelings in any way, I apologise. If not, then I am relieved.

JW

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:06 am... JWs are so routinely mocked by everyone.
I dont know that is the case; to say " everyone " is I think an exaggeration. I have personally found that mocking is a poor response by those that lack the intellectual or moral honesty to engage in measured discourse. This is generally not the case with most people I come accross. Still, Jesus was on occassion also mocked and that without good reason, so if true Christians are mocked and persecuted they are in good company.

MATTHEW 10: 24-26

“A student is not above his teacher, nor a slave above his master.+ 25 It is enough for the student to become as his teacher, and the slave as his master.+ If people have called the master of the house Be·elʹze·bub,+ how much more those of his household? 26 So do not fear them, for there is nothing covered over that will not become uncovered, and nothing secret that will not become known.

Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

DO JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES HAVE A PERSECUTION COMPLEX?

No. To refer to a complex implies they suffer from a a delusionary view that is not a reflection of reality. Wikipedia gives the following explanation of a persecution complex:

A persecutory delusion or persecution complex is a common type of delusional condition in which the affected person believes that harm is going to occur to oneself by a persecutor, despite a clear lack of evidence.

Jehovahs Witnesses do not see persecution lurking behind every bush and rock, nor do they label every negative response or action against them as persecution. That said it is a matter of public record that Jehovahs Witnesses have been the victims of sometimes horrific persecution for their faith over the course of their existence as an identifiable group.

The principal victims of religious persecution in the United States in the twentieth century were the Jehovah's Witnesses -- The Court and the Constitution (1987), Archibald Cox, former Watergate special Prosecutor

"Viewed globally, this persecution has been so persistent and of such an intensity that it would not be inaccurate to regard Jehovah's Witnesses as the most persecuted religion of the twentieth century". -- Ken Jubber, Socialiologist, Cape Town University

"Viewed globally....Jehovah's witnesses are the most hated and persecuted group of Christians of the twentieth century." -- Jerry Bergman PH. D., A Brief History of A Century of Religious-State Conflicts

"Religious freedom can progress only when assaults against established, peaceful, honorable groups like the Jehovah's Witnesses cease. " -- Derek H. Davis, J.D., Ph.D. Director of the Center for Religious Liberty, University of Mary Hardin-Baylor in Belton, Texas.

FURTHER READING : The persecution of Jehovah's Witnesses
https://www.jw.org/en/search/?q=Persecution
To read more please go to other posts related to...

RELIGION, CHRISTIANITY and ...RELIGIOUS PERSECUTION
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.