What is the Biblical view of hell?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Post #1

Post by otseng »

SallyF wrote: The concept of Hell is one of the many unmarketable, embarrassingly unbelievable religious concepts that has been recently swept under the altar in the severely diluted quasi-belief system that passes for Christianity in certain circles.
Divine Insight wrote: In fact, I think this is why Christianity invented eternal punishment in hell. They started to realize that just plain dying wouldn't be compelling. So instead they invented the concept of "Everlasting Punishment" for those who refuse to comply.
Questions for debate:
What concepts do we have of hell that are not in the Bible?

otseng
Savant

Post #191

Post by otseng »

JehovahsWitness wrote: no idea what "an atheistic perspective of a person" is. If it's the same as outlined above then that only proves that even a broken clock is right twice a day. That said I doubt if most atheists would accept that all living things are animated with a lifesource that comes from God.
This is a generalization, but an atheistic perspective would say a person is only comprised of atoms. There would be no non-material component to humans. There's no spiritual component, no soul, no spirit. There would be no part of man that comes from God or the spiritual world.
So to answer the question: So a person is purely a materialistic body? The answer is no, a person is a body (materialistic or spiritual) that is ALIVE ie animated with a lifesource aka the "breath of life " that comes from God.
This breath of life would be a spiritual, non-materialistic component of a person correct?
If so, this is what I would refer to as the soul. What would you refer it to?

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #192

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to post 179 by otseng]
Can you post what is the position of the RCC on hell?
Sure. Allow me to Google that for you . . .

The Catechism of the Catholic Church states: “The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, ‘eternal fire.’ The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God, in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs� (CCC 1035).

Scripture and Jesus’ own words reveal to us the existence of eternal hell.

Mark 9:47–48 Jesus warns us, “t is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into hell, where the worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched.� And in Revelation 14:11, we read: “And the smoke of their torment goes up for ever and ever; and they have no rest, day or night, these worshipers of the beast and its image, and whoever receives the mark of its name.�

And the Church herself has revealed and confirmed this truth to us.

Ancient writings and historical records reveal to us the early Church Fathers were also absolutely firm on the reality of an eternal hell.

So, from the beginning the reality of eternal hell has been taught. It wasn’t until later when some churches who left Christ’s Church went to teach something else. Soul sleep was not something believed, taught, or accepted by Christendom. It is a heretical teaching contrary to both Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition.

A complaint from those who want to justify their newly invented theology regarding hell like to suggest a loving God would not allow eternal punishment. However, if God is all knowing, all just AND all all merciful, then we should rest assure that on Judgment Day all will know that every person will have been judged rightly. Funny, how we think we know what sounds fair. It's the typical, "Well, if I were the God of the universe, I would do things like this ___________!"

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #193

Post by JehovahsWitness »

otseng wrote:
So to answer the question: So a person is purely a materialistic body? The answer is no, a person is a body (materialistic or spiritual) that is ALIVE ie animated with a lifesource aka the "breath of life " that comes from God.
This breath of life would be a spiritual, non-materialistic component of a person correct?

If we dealt with what people would call things and what they choose to believe there would be no end to options. The real questions are

Are the words "soul" and "spirit" are synonyms in the bible?

What in connection with humans, does so each mean in scripture?

Does any part of a human (consciousness, thoughts, feelings, memories or sensations) survive their cessation of function of their physical bodies according to the bible?
Can you conceive how the answers to the above questions would have a bearing on whether "dead people" (people's whose bodies have decompossed) can suffer pain (or speak)?

JW

RELATED POSTS
Is a human no more than his physical body?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 919#970919

What does the bible mean when it says "Let us make man in our image"?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 153#957153

If Adam & Eve were perfect, how could they sin?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 903#873903
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #194

[Replying to post 112 by Imprecise Interrupt]

QUESTION Is FIRE used figuratively to represent the literal torture of humans after they die?

ANSWER No, since the bible indicates humans, like animals, cease to exist when their physical bodies decompose, it would be impossible to cause them pain after they die. [/color] Fire is used figuratively in the bible to represent many things including love, (Ca 8:6), passion (Ro 1:27; 1Co 7:9), strong emotion (Lu 24:32; 2Co 11:29), zeal or enthusiasm (Jer 20:9) ... Indeed even Jehovah (YHWH) himself is described as being a consuming fire, but NEVER is fire used as a symbol of torture of those that have physically died.[/list]

FIRE : PERMANENT ELIMINATION OR CONTINUAL TORTURE OF THE DEAD?
  • Due to religious indoctrination and the near total dominance of the pagan religious dogma of the torture of a mythical "immortal soul" (an expression never once used in the bible), when many see the word "fire" associated with divine judgment, they automatically think that the idea being conveyed is of perpetual pain/ anguise, however more often than not fire used in the bible as a symbol of total and complete annialation (compare Mat 3: 10, 12). Since physical fire leaves little more than ashes in its wake, it, rather than death by strangulation, drowning or a violent blow to the head, is used as a fitting symbol of the punishment of total and permanent non-existence with no hope of a resurrection.

Continued below ....
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #195

[Continued from post #195 by JehovahsWitness]

A PHYSICAL REMINDER

Often in the poetic language of metaphors in scripture fire is mentioned not as a source of agony but as a permanent reminder of God's adverse judgement of total annihilation. NOTE Isaiah 66:24
ISAIAH 66:24

And they shall go out and look on the dead bodies of the men who have rebelled against me. For their worm shall not die, their fire shall not be quenched, and they shall be an abhorrence to all flesh. 
Rather than passages linking fire with the agony of the wicked, we see it linked here to a witness or a testimony for the living. We see the living as observing the "dead bodies" of rebels as a repugnant reminder not for the dead but for those in the physical living flesh and blood world ("all flesh"). Worms, present in decomposing bodies enforces the idea not of perpetual agony of the punished but perpetual evidence for the living.

ETERNAL FIRE NOT ETERNAL SUFFERING
  • Jude, speaking of God's judgement/punishment of Sodom and Gomorrah spoke of "eternal fire". Obviously the literal fire rained down from heaven has long since ceased burning so, in what way was the fire still burning? As mentioned above what *is* permanent is the {quote} "plain warning to all" (Good News Translation) /the example, the permanent evidence of divine judgement. What is notable in its absence is any notion of agony or torture.
    [Jude 1:7]

"Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire" KJV

PURIFYING BY FIRE
  • Some use passages that likens fire as purifier to justify Catholic dogma such as that of "puragtory" (a word never mentioned in scripture) claiming that the "souls" of dead people must suffer unspeakable agony to be purged of their sins and gain access to heaven. However such teaching is contrary to biblical teachings because 1#) The bible teaches that at death a person ceases to be able to think or feel and #2) the bible identifies only the blood of Jesus as atoning for one's sins, never the personal agony of torture.
    NOTE While fire is sometimes used in scripture to represent the trials and tribulations suffered by the faithful, it is always, without exception used in relation to THE LIVING and not the dead and never is there any indication maintaining integrity under trials (likened to fire) and improving the quality of ones faith , atones for sin or replaces the ransom of Christs blood.
JW

RELATED POSTS
Does anyone get out of HELL (sheol)?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 02#p971002

Is FIRE used figuratively to represent the literal torture of humans after they die?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 45#p970945

Revelation 1:18, 6:8, Revelation 20:13, & 14 : What does the book of Revelation teach us about "HELL" ?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 39#p971239

What is "The Lake of fire" (Rev 14:9)?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 66#p337866

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

GEHENNA , HELLFIRE TORTURE DEBUNKED and ... THE BOOK OF REVELATION
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:40 pm, edited 15 times in total.

otseng
Savant

Post #196

Post by otseng »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
otseng wrote:
If we dealt with what people would call things and what they choose to believe there would be no end to options.
For purposes of debate, we need to have agreed upon terms that participants would know exactly what is being referred to. Also, we need to have clarity of positions so people do not misconstrue what we actually believe. If you don't want to call it a soul, that's fine, but I don't want to keep referring it to "the immaterial animated lifesource/breath of life that comes from God".
Are the words "soul" and "spirit" are synonyms in the bible?
What in connection with humans, does so each mean in scripture?
Does any part of a human (consciousness, thoughts, feelings, memories or sensations) survive their cessation of function of their physical bodies according to the bible?
I don't make any claims whether soul and spirit are synonymous. I also do not claim that man is either bipartite or tripartite. I would only claim man is at a minimum bipartiate and has a physical component (body) and an immaterial component (soul). Man could be tripartite with a body, soul, and spirit, but it's not completely relevant to the debate.

I believe the soul can exist when the body is dead. I do not make any claims if the soul is immortal. I've already demonstrated in some passages of a spiritual component to man that is separate from the physical component that survives after death.
Saul summoned the spirit of Samuel with the witch at Endor.

1Sa 28:15
And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up? And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answereth me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams: therefore I have called thee, that thou mayest make known unto me what I shall do.

Moses and Elijah appeared during the transfiguration of Jesus.

Luk 9:30
And, behold, there talked with him two men, which were Moses and Elias:
viewtopic.php?p=969986#969986
While we're on the subject of soul and body, here is a verse that indicates humans have two separate components: body and soul.

[Mat 10:28 KJV] 28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
viewtopic.php?p=970552#970552
When God created man out of dust, he was not just dust. God also had to breathe in him the breath of life.

[Gen 2:7 KJV] 7 And the LORD God formed man [of] the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
viewtopic.php?p=970899#970899

Some more verses that indicate some part of the person surviving after death:

[Act 7:59-60 KJV] 59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon [God], and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit. 60 And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

[2Co 5:8 KJV] 8 We are confident, , and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

[Luk 23:43 KJV] 43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

[Jas 2:26 KJV] 26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #197

otseng wrote:
For purposes of debate, we need to have agreed upon terms that participants would know exactly what is being referred to.
Not a problem,.
  • Shall we agree that every time we use the word SHEOL we are refering without exception to the symbolic common grave of mankind where all humans (good or bad) go when they die and where those individuals are a state of complete and absolute unconsciousness.

And for physical DEATH we are referring to the state of complete and utter non-existence, the exact and absolute opposite of life.

And for SOUL let's stick to the Hebrew and use NEPHESH (we can add soul in brackets for clarity) and agree that we are always without exception referring to the flesh and blood physical human or animal that is subject to DEATH (see above for death above definition).
Agreed?

JW

RELATED POSTS

What did the English word HELL mean in Old English?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 912#970912

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #198

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness]
Some use passages that likens fire as a purifier to justify Catholic dogma such as that of "puragtory" claiming that the "souls" of dead people must suffer unspeakable agony to be purged of their sins and gain access to heaven. However such teaching is contrary to the fact that the bible identifies only the blood of Jesus as atoning for one's sins,never personal agony. indeed it says without the shedding of blood there can be no forgiveness.
It is not contrary to the Bible, rather right in line with Biblical teaching. Once again – know your history! Go back to the beginning to see what Sacred Scripture AND Sacred Tradition tell us.

It is entirely correct to say that Christ accomplished all of our salvation for us on the cross. But that does not settle the question of how this redemption is applied to us. Scripture reveals that it is applied to us over the course of time through, among other things, the process of sanctification through which the Christian is made holy. Sanctification involves suffering (Rom. 5:3–5), and purgatory is the final stage of sanctification that some of us need to undergo before we enter heaven. Purgatory is the final phase of Christ’s applying to us the purifying redemption that he accomplished for us by his death on the cross.

It is no wonder, then, that those who deny the existence of purgatory tend to touch upon only briefly the history of the belief. They prefer to claim that the Bible speaks only of heaven and hell. Wrong. It speaks plainly of a third condition, commonly called the limbo of the Fathers, where the just who had died before the redemption were waiting for heaven to be opened to them. After his death and before his resurrection, Christ visited those experiencing the limbo of the Fathers and preached to them the good news that heaven would now be opened to them (1 Pet. 3:19). These people thus were not in heaven, but neither were they experiencing the torments of hell.

Some have speculated that the limbo of the Fathers is the same as purgatory. This may or may not be the case. However, even if the limbo of the Fathers is not purgatory, its existence shows that a temporary, intermediate state is not contrary to Scripture.

Christ refers to the sinner who “will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come� (Matt. 12:32), suggesting that one can be freed after death of the consequences of one’s sins. Similarly, Paul tells us that, when we are judged, each man’s work will be tried. And what happens if a righteous man’s work fails the test? “He will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire� (1 Cor 3:15). Now this loss, this penalty, can’t refer to consignment to hell, since no one is saved there; and heaven can’t be meant, since there is no suffering (“fire�) there. The Catholic doctrine of purgatory alone explains this passage.

Then, of course, there is the Bible’s approval of prayers for the dead: “In doing this he acted in a very excellent and noble way, inasmuch as he had the resurrection of the dead in view; for if he were not expecting the dead to rise again, it would have been useless and foolish to pray for them in death. But if he did this with a view to the splendid reward that awaits those who had gone to rest in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought. Thus he made atonement for the dead that they might be freed from this sin� (2 Macc. 12:43–45). Prayers are not needed by those in heaven, and no one can help those in hell. This verse so clearly illustrates the existence of purgatory that, at the time of the Reformation, Protestants had to cut the books of the Maccabees out of their Bibles in order to avoid accepting the doctrine.

Prayers for the dead and the consequent doctrine of purgatory have been part of the true religion since before the time of Christ. Not only can we show it was practiced by the Jews of the time of the Maccabees, but it has even been retained by Orthodox Jews today, who recite a prayer known as the Mourner’s Kaddish for eleven months after the death of a loved one so that the loved one may be purified. It was not the Catholic Church that added the doctrine of purgatory. Rather, the Protestant churches rejected a doctrine that had always been believed by Jews and Christians.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church defines purgatory as a “purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven,�

The purification is necessary because, as Scripture teaches, nothing unclean will enter the presence of God in heaven (Rev. 21:27)

the soul is purified of the remaining consequences of sin: “I tell you, you will never get out till you have paid the very last copper� (Luke 12:59).

. . . request of Monica, mother of Augustine, who asked her son, in the fourth century, to remember her soul in his Masses. This would make no sense if she thought her soul would not benefit from prayers, as would be the case if she were in hell or in the full glory of heaven.

. . . graffiti in the catacombs, where Christians during the persecutions of the first three centuries recorded prayers for the dead. Indeed, some of the earliest Christian writings outside the New Testament, like the Acts of Paul and Thecla and the Martyrdom of Perpetua and Felicity (both written during the second century), refer to the Christian practice of praying for the dead. Such prayers would have been offered only if Christians believed in purgatory, even if they did not use that name for it.

https://www.catholic.com/tract/purgatory

Looks like Christ’s Church gets it right again. How can that be? Probably because He established His Church and promised to remain with His Church. Hmmmm . . . . does it make sense that the first Church believed and taught these things from the beginning, but Christ remained dormant in His Church for 1000 years until He sent Charles Taze Russell to re interpret the Bible and start up a new denomination?

Why doesn’t the very notion of that bother more people? Who in the world was Charles Russell and why are you listening to him? How do you reconcile this? Yes, yes, I’ve heard some of you attempt to say the Bible describes some great apostasy, but you even misattribute that Biblical reference. And how does such an apostasy reconcile Christ’s words that He will remain with His Church (not go hiding and not create a new church) and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it? How would a person that believed the Church underwent some Great Apostasy then know who/where to find Christ’s actual Church? By what authority did Charles Russell act? This matters! Why would you accept the Bible from Christ’s established Church and then let some guy in the 1900’s re interpret it for you? I can’t wrap my head around this kind of illogic.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #199

otseng wrote: Also, we need to have clarity of positions so people do not misconstrue what we actually believe.
I'm not particularly interested in what people believe over and above what they believe THE BIBLE communicates on the point. In short if someone believes all dead people transform into flying elephants and do the dance of the seven veils in the Oval Office, I'm inclined to say "enjoy".

If they claim this is supported by the bible, there we will have an issue.

JW

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #200

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to post 200 by JehovahsWitness]
I'm not particularly interested in what people believe over and above what they believe THE BIBLE communicates on the point.

Uuummm . . . ok, but that is actually unbiblical.

Nowhere in the Bible does it say the Bible alone is our authority. So, to have an honest fruitful Christian discussion, one would need to look at both Sacred Scripture AND Sacred Tradition.