The Delay of the End

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Skeptical
Apprentice

The Delay of the End

Post #1

Post by Skeptical »

Hello all. Even though I am skeptical, at the same time, I am saddened and distressed by the many horrific and terrible things that we see go on around us in the world. Therefore, as a skeptic, I still do think about things such as the last days the end times. Therefore, as far as how things just keep going on and on and on, I understand that some Christians apply Habakkuk 2:3 to the situation. So, I would like to know from any type of theist, if they think that Habakkuk 2:3 is being used properly to understand this delayed situation? And the reason why I ask is because that verse seems to be able to justify any type of delay, postponement, or unfulfillment of any type of end time expectation.
New International Version
For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay.
https://biblehub.com/habakkuk/2-3.htm

onewithhim
Savant

Re: The Delay of the End

Post #2

Post by onewithhim »

Skeptical wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:59 pm Hello all. Even though I am skeptical, at the same time, I am saddened and distressed by the many horrific and terrible things that we see go on around us in the world. Therefore, as a skeptic, I still do think about things such as the last days the end times. Therefore, as far as how things just keep going on and on and on, I understand that some Christians apply Habakkuk 2:3 to the situation. So, I would like to know from any type of theist, if they think that Habakkuk 2:3 is being used properly to understand this delayed situation? And the reason why I ask is because that verse seems to be able to justify any type of delay, postponement, or unfulfillment of any type of end time expectation.
For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay.
The end might seem to linger to people who are anxiously awaiting it, but God has a set time where He will bring about the big changes and it really is not "late."

"Let this one fact not be escaping your notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance." (2Peter 3:8,9)

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

Skeptical wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:59 pm Hello all. Even though I am skeptical, at the same time, I am saddened and distressed by the many horrific and terrible things that we see go on around us in the world. Therefore, as a skeptic, I still do think about things such as the last days the end times. Therefore, as far as how things just keep going on and on and on, I understand that some Christians apply Habakkuk 2:3 to the situation. So, I would like to know from any type of theist, if they think that Habakkuk 2:3 is being used properly to understand this delayed situation? And the reason why I ask is because that verse seems to be able to justify any type of delay, postponement, or unfulfillment of any type of end time expectation.
In light of the fact that Habakkuk was written some 2,755 years ago, telling people "Though it linger, wait for it;" and "it will certainly come and will not delay" really missed the mark. And like other such silly prognostications, they aren't worth the goat skin they were scribbled on. Of course this failing won't dawn on Christians who believe everything in the Bible is worthy of consideration, but what's new.
Biblical scripture was so badly put together that at present Christianity in the USA has fractured itself into 200+ denominations, and 45,000 denominations throughout the world. Nice going Big Guy.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by 2timothy316 »

2Peter 3:8,9, the scripture that OWH quoted is a key scripture but so is Psalm 14:1, 2. Jehovah God is seeking those with insight. The root word of the Hebrew word insight is prudent.

Insight definition:
the capacity to gain an accurate and deep intuitive understanding of a person or thing.

Prudent definition:
1. acting with or showing care and thought for the future
2. showing good judgment in avoiding risks and uncertainties; careful

Psalm 14:2 says that God is also seeking those that are seeking Him. We all must ask the question, what kind of person am I?

Jehovah has a set date, that date is set so as to allow as many possible that are deep thinkers, those that see past the veneer of the world and those that seek God and are smart enough to think about the future and avoid the day when all the horrible things we see are brought to an end. Yet a morbid fear of judgment on the world is not a reason to serve God.

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

2timothy316 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:26 pm
2Peter 3:8,9, the scripture that OWH quoted is a key scripture but so is Psalm 14:1, 2. Jehovah God is seeking those with insight. The root word of the Hebrew word insight is prudent.

Insight definition:
the capacity to gain an accurate and deep intuitive understanding of a person or thing.

Prudent definition:
1. acting with or showing care and thought for the future
2. showing good judgment in avoiding risks and uncertainties; careful

Psalm 14:2 says that God is also seeking those that are seeking Him. We all must ask the question, what kind of person am I?

Jehovah has a set date, that date is set so as to allow as many possible that are deep thinkers, those that see past the veneer of the world and those that seek God and are smart enough to think about the future and avoid the day when all the horrible things we see are brought to an end. Yet a morbid fear of judgment on the world is not a reason to serve God.
Where does the Bible say

"Jehovah has a set date, that date is set so as to allow as many possible that are deep thinkers, those that see past the veneer of the world and those that seek God and are smart enough to think about the future and avoid the day when all the horrible things we see are brought to an end?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to Miles in post #5]

“Concerning that day or the hour nobody knows, neither the angels in heaven nor the Son, but the Father." Mark 13:32

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

HOW SHOULD HABAKKUK 2:3 BE PROPERLY UNDERSTOOD?

HABAKKUK 2:3 NWT

For the vision is yet for its appointed time, And it is rushing toward its end, and it will not lie. Even if it should delay, keep in expectation of it! For it will without fail come true. It will not be late!
God's answer to the Prophet Habakkuk who lived in the 6th century BCE was regard to the judgement of the wicked in Judah and Jerusalem in his day. The Prophet asked Jehovah (God) how long such conditions would continue and God repsonse is recorded above. God's answer assured the prophet ...
1. The time was fast approaching
2. Gods promises of action were sure to come true
3. Gods servants should not be discouraged by what they may perceive as a delay
4. God had set a fixed date to take action ["appointed time"]

While the above applies to the Prophet's time, the answer holds valuable lessons for those of us living in what the bible calls " the last days ".

PERCEIVED DELAYS

When God told his Prophet "Even if it should delay" or "“if it seems to delay.” ....he meant from the human perspective. When we are suffering a short time seems very long and if relief does not come when we expect it feels like a "delay" . This was no doubt true for Habakkuk and is certainly true for those of us waiting for the end of this wicked system of things. This does not mean however that Almighty God is "slow" or putting things off (postponing), the end remains fixed and every day bring us one day closer to it. The job of the faithful is to keep busy, keep focused and not be lulled into the spiritual sleep of those around us who will be caught by surprise and unprepared (compare 2 Pet 3:8-10).

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

LEARN MORE : Joel Dellinger:Jehovah’s Day “Will Not Be Late!” (Hab. 1:2, 3 , Hab. 2:3 - Ps 13:1, 2 )
www.jw.org/en/library/videos/#en/mediai ... 4_11_VIDEO

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

GENTILE TIMES , THE SECOND COMING * and ... "DELAYS "DEBUNKED
*The Return of Christ
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Miles
Savant

Post #8

Post by Miles »

2timothy316 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:24 pm [Replying to Miles in post #5]

“Concerning that day or the hour nobody knows, neither the angels in heaven nor the Son, but the Father." Mark 13:32
Fine, but where in the Bible does it say ". . . that date is set so as to allow as many possible that are deep thinkers, those that see past the veneer of the world and those that seek God and are smart enough to think about the future and avoid the day when all the horrible things we see are brought to an end?

Or did you simply make all this up?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #9

Post by onewithhim »

Miles wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:53 pm

Fine, but where in the Bible does it say ". . . that date is set so as to allow as many possible that are deep thinkers, those that see past the veneer of the world and those that seek God and are smart enough to think about the future and avoid the day when all the horrible things we see are brought to an end?

It makes sense to me.

Miles
Savant

Post #10

Post by Miles »

onewithhim wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:53 pm
Miles wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:53 pm

It makes sense to me.
And I assume that because it makes sense to you it must have come from the Bible. Gotcha. :approve: