The kingdom of God.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Checkpoint
Prodigy

The kingdom of God.

Post #1

Post by Checkpoint »

Some seem to think it is entirely future, while others give the impression they are always thinking of it as present, and to not be looking at the future in kingdom terms at all.

Jesus had much to say about the kingdom, including this:
Luke 16:

6 The Law and the Prophets were until John; since then the good news of the kingdom of God is preached, and everyone is being zealously urged into it.
So, where do you stand as to whether it is present, future, or has both a present and a future aspect?

On what basis?

According to which scriptures?

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #221

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 216 by onewithhim]

What is so hard to accept about what JW and I are trying to explain about the Kingdom?

Checkpoint replied
I do reject much of what you say about the kingdom.

That is because, to me, it is full of assumptions, misunderstandings, and claims that do not match what the New Testament conveys about the kingdom, whether present or future.
onewithhim then posted
Please be more specific. What assumptions and misunderstandings have I shown evidence of? How do my claims about the Kingdom not match what is said in the New Testament?
"Read my lips"[posts] on this thread for what has been written, and "watch this space" for what is yet to be written.

We have already debated on some specific points. Others may well arise.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #222

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Checkpoint wrote: [Replying to post 216 by onewithhim]

What is so hard to accept about what JW and I are trying to explain about the Kingdom?

Checkpoint replied
My understanding is you do accept that God's kingdom is indeed a type of Government* , but that it started ruling in the Roman era while we say it began ruling much later. Is that about right?

* according to a typical dictionary definition of what a kingdom is (see below)
Checkpoint wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: Are you saying that the kingdom was "set up" during the reign of the Roman cesars?
Yes.
From what I can see we both agree God's kingdom started ruling at some point of time in the past and will extend it's rule into the future when it's full potential will result in the earth being free of suffering and pain.

Image[/quote]
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #223

Checkpoint wrote: It does not "come" one time, but multiple times in answer to that prayer in multiple expression of God's will being done. [...] I said above, "The ruling began as soon as there was something to rule".

I think you misunderstand that the bible deals with two seperate (but related things)
#1 God's universal sovereignty: God's position and power as KING and Supreme ruler of all creation; something that has always been and always will be and...

#2 The Messianic kingdom : The government that will be on the shoulders of the "Prince of Peace" (see the word "government" in Isaiah 6:9), the subject of numerous "messianic" prophecies, which has not always existed but began at a specific moment in time (which we both agree on - see above) and for which Jesus told his disciples to pray.
From what I can see, where you go wrong is a is being unable to see theses two seperate things thus your attempt to combine all statements to do with divine rulership into the Messieanic kingdom which obliges you to say that it began when God first had "something to rule" (ie long before the earth existed) and began in the Roman era... that it "came" during the time of cesars, "came again" just before Jesus told his followers to PRAY for it to come, has already "come" (while we continue to pray that it comes) and will come in the future to resolve earth problems.
Checkpoint wrote:Yes, it has already come, it keeps on coming, and it will come in the future.

God always has been, and always will be, on His throne.
Yes God has "always been on His throne" this is reference to his unversal sovereinty, and position as supreme ruler of the unverses. When we pray for "Thy Kindom Come" we are asking for the full reealization of the MESSIANIC Kingdom promises. It's such a shame if people, especially those that love the bible, let pride and an unwillingness to back down stop them from accepting such a simple adjustment that will allow all the other scriptures to fall logically into place - without having to resort to the mental gymnastics of praying for somethin that has existed since the beginning of time

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #224

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Checkpoint wrote: [Replying to post 216 by onewithhim]

Checkpoint replied
My understanding is you do accept that God's kingdom is indeed a type of Government* , but that it started ruling in the Roman era while we say it began ruling much later. Is that about right?
Very broadly, yes.

However, our differences are so major that they cannot be treated lightly.

* according to a typical dictionary definition of what a kingdom is (see below)
Checkpoint wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: Are you saying that the kingdom was "set up" during the reign of the Roman cesars?
Yes.
From what I can see we both agree God's kingdom started ruling at some point of time in the past and will extend it's rule into the future when it's full potential will result in the earth being free of suffering and pain.
Yes, but "the devil is in the details".

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #225

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Checkpoint wrote: It does not "come" one time, but multiple times in answer to that prayer in multiple expression of God's will being done. [...] I said above, "The ruling began as soon as there was something to rule".

I think you misunderstand that the bible deals with two seperate (but related things)
#1 God's universal sovereignty: God's position and power as KING and Supreme ruler of all creation; something that has always been and always will be and...

#2 The Messianic kingdom : The government that will be on the shoulders of the "Prince of Peace" (see the word "government" in Isaiah 6:9), the subject of numerous "messianic" prophecies, which has not always existed but began at a specific moment in time (which we both agree on - see above) and for which Jesus told his disciples to pray.
From what I can see, where you go wrong is a is being unable to see theses two seperate things thus your attempt to combine all statements to do with divine rulership into the Messieanic kingdom which obliges you to say that it began when God first had "something to rule" (ie long before the earth existed) and began in the Roman era... that it "came" during the time of cesars, "came again" just before Jesus told his followers to PRAY for it to come, has already "come" (while we continue to pray that it comes) and will come in the future to resolve earth problems.
Checkpoint wrote:Yes, it has already come, it keeps on coming, and it will come in the future.

God always has been, and always will be, on His throne.
Yes God has "always been on His throne" this is reference to his unversal sovereinty, and position as supreme ruler of the unverses. When we pray for "Thy Kindom Come" we are asking for the full reealization of the MESSIANIC Kingdom promises. It's such a shame if people, especially those that love the bible, let pride and an unwillingness to back down stop them from accepting such a simple adjustment that will allow all the other scriptures to fall logically into place - without having to resort to the mental gymnastics of praying for somethin that has existed since the beginning of time

JW
Such a good post, JW, by far the best I have seen from you on this thread.

Well done!

And thank you.

I will reply to it soon.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #226

Post by McCulloch »

[Replying to post 222 by JehovahsWitness]

About two thousand years ago or so, Jesus claimed that the kingdom of God was at hand. God's kingdom would be a wonderous thing. It didn't happen in the lifetime of his followers. But they made up some story about how he conquered death itself and would come back some day to establish God's kingdom.

One hundred years ago, or so, it was announced that the kingdom was again at hand. And again, it didn't happen. And again the excuses were trotted out. The Kingdom has been established in heaven. It will be established on earth real soon now. Generations come and go. The wonderful Kingdom of God is still not in evidence.

It seems to me that you blaspheme your God with your doctrine. According to you, He could usher in a wonderful paradise, but he won't. He didn't in the first or second century. He didn't in the twentieth century. He has the power to make things so much better, but he doesn't. Do you not see what kind of a sociopathic sadist you make your God out to be? How many generations have to pass from the prophetic date before you realize that you are waiting for nought?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #227

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 225 by McCulloch]
Do you not see what kind of a sociopathic sadist you make your God out to be? How many generations have to pass from the prophetic date before you realize that you are waiting for nought?
Your post is interesting and has its place on this debating site, but it is not here on this thread.

In my starter post I said what this thread on God's kingdom was to debate, as follows:
So, where do you stand as to whether it is present, future, or has both a present and a future aspect?

On what basis?

According to which scriptures?
The option of "nought" is not included or intended on this thread.

The place for your post is the Christianity and Apologetics subforum, and could be used to start a new thread there.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #228

McCulloch wrote: According to you, He could usher in a wonderful paradise, but he won't.
If I have in any way given the impression that God will not usher in a wonderful paradise, let me rectify that right now: Jehovah's Witnesses absolutely believe God will indeed rid this our planet earth of all wickedness, kill of the incorrigibly wicked and usher in a peacefu era under his kingdom government were people will live in paradise like conditions for all time.

Hope that clears that up,

JW

Further reading
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/maga ... -paradise/