Does the Bible teach that a woman is inferior to a man?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Does the Bible teach that a woman is inferior to a man?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

Does the Bible tell us that a woman is inferior to man and hence must be submissive to him?

Of course! There are many passages in the Bible written by Paul and others supporting this view.

For example:
• Ephesians 5:22-24 ...wives should submit to their husbands etc.
• 1 Timothy 2:11-15 A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent etc.

It is a longstanding Catholic teaching even found in Thomas Aquinas’s Summa Theologica that a woman cannot be a priest because she is not as eminent as men and “must live in subjection.�

Home > Summa Theologiae > Supplement > Question 39

� Accordingly, since it is not possible in the female sex to signify eminence of degree, for a woman is in the state of subjection, it follows that she cannot receive the sacrament of Order.�

That explanation is still on the books but has become unpopular lately. Now the Catholic Church is claiming that a woman priest would have to be in the “persona� of Christ and hence a man so cannot be ordained. Did you ever notice that all the apostles (the first priests) were all Hebrew? But that evidently isn’t a requirement for Jesus “persona�.

Some may want to e-mail their local dioceses Catholic bishop’s office and ask!

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Re: Does the Bible teach that a woman is inferior to a man?

Post #2

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

[Replying to post 1 by polonius]

While I certainly agree that Christianity has this effect of reducing women to an inferior state, I don't believe it's a proper logical deduction that submission = inferiority. I'm submissive to my boss at work, but I do not believe I am inferior. Perhaps it would be prudent to define what you mean by inferior. I am "inferior" to my boss in that I don't have the same rights to manage the budget, but I'm certainly better at creating a VR Video game. Similarly, though women are to be "submissive," this does not mean they are inferior in "all ways" and it also doesn't mean that they're "not as good" at, say, preaching. They're simply not allowed to. And though I'm not allowed to manage the budget, I might very well be better at it for all we know. So in what way am I "inferior" just because I don't have the same rights as my "superiors?"

All that said, I think women were absolutely treated as inferior and that was likely the reason for such scripture to begin with. They were property and nothing more to most people at that time. God allowed Job's wife and kids to be destroyed because they were merely property and all was well when he replaced them. Women and children simply weren't regarded as people.
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by polonius]

Submission is not in my opinion synonymous with being inferior, if by "inferor" you mean being of less value, being lower in quality or excellence. A person can agree to submit to someone's wishes or direction due, for example, to their appointed rank or position, without that being a reflection of their overall value.

The bible, I believe asks wives to show relative submission to their husbands, not because they are of inferior quality as human beings, but to respect a God ordained order so that families can function as for the well being of all.

JW

RELATED POSTS

How does the bible command husbands to treat their wives?
viewtopic.php?p=1057767#p1057767
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 2 by ElCodeMonkey]

I don't believe the bible implies God disregards or wants his people to disregard women.

RELATED POSTS

Does the bible imply women should be subservient?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 46#p801646

Is it wrong for men to treat women as their "property"?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 57#p977057

HEBREW SCRIPTURES

MOSAIC LAW

CHRISTIAN SCRIPTURE

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

WOMEN, SEX And... MARRIAGE
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:59 pm, edited 15 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

polonius
Prodigy

Women are in "submission."

Post #5

Post by polonius »

1 Corinthians 14:33-35

For God is not a God of confusion but of peace. As in all the churches of the saints, the women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says. If there is anything they desire to learn, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.

“Blessed are you, Lord our God, Ruler of the Universe, who has not made me a woman.� — Morning Blessings, Artscroll Siddur, p. 12.

Definition of submissive:
ready to conform to the authority or will of others; meekly obedient or passive.

postroad
Prodigy

Re: Women are in "submission."

Post #6

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 5 by polonius]

That Paul! Good way to quell fifty percent of any potential opposing position while bribing the other half with a power position.

Joel 2:28-30 New International Version (NIV)

The Day of the Lord
28 “And afterward,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your old men will dream dreams,
your young men will see visions.
29 Even on my servants, both men and women,
I will pour out my Spirit in those days.
30 I will show wonders in the heavens
and on the earth,
blood and fire and billows of smoke.

Seems that Luke and presumably Paul were aware of the text.

Acts 2:17-19 New International Version (NIV)

17 “‘In the last days, God says,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your young men will see visions,
your old men will dream dreams.
18 Even on my servants, both men and women,
I will pour out my Spirit in those days,
and they will prophesy.
19 I will show wonders in the heavens above
and signs on the earth below,
blood and fire and billows of smoke.