Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Masterblaster
Sage

'Thou shalt not kill' Law or Directive?

Post #1

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello
The world is full of people and creatures being killed. It seems like a natural thing to do?
What was the original Law of Moses?
Was it a qualified directive. I think it was.
What do you think?
I could kill a person. ( I think!) ...could you?

Micah 7:18 Who is a God like unto thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression of the remnant of his heritage? he retaineth not his anger for ever, because he delighteth in mercy.
19 He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea.

Matthew 18

"6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea."

Which way do we go?
'Love God with all you have and love others in the same way.'

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: 'Thou shalt not kill' Law or Directive?

Post #11

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Masterblaster wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:14 am All they ask for is a place to be spiritual in.Did I get you correctly?
No. No human can stop someone being spiritual , so there is no need to ask someone for "a place to be spiritual in". The free practice of religion however is something True Christians appreciate but Jesus never gave his followers authority to engage in violent uprisings to ensure it.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #12

Masterblaster wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:14 am ... I would crucify him myself. Asking people to accept suicide with fortitude and hopeful resolve. That would be a con-man, in my book. A doomsday apocalyptic cult waiting for ever to correctly call the end of time. Definitely a hanging offence, akin to giving a starving wretch a cookbook for his birthday.

I dont believe there is any record of Jesus asking people to commit suicide. Nor did he start a "doomsday apocalyptic cult". What he did do is teach people how they could live happy lives and avoid the things that hurt themselves and others. You may believe Jesus kingdom message was a mere empty promise, but if the bible narrative is to be believed, Jesus presented ample evidence that the kingdom he preached about was not a dream but an inevitable reality.

RELATED POSTS

Can Jesus public ministry be viewed as "suicidal behaviour"?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 76#p980976

Is Christianity a "doomsday apocalyptic cult"?
viewtopic.php?p=1141675#p1141675
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

SIN , SACRIFICE and ...,and ...SUICIDE
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #13

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello JehovahsWitness

Thank You for responding to my strong enquiries. The emphasis of your message has been pushed over slightly but its central announcement remains the same. Now there is joy in preparing for the certainty of the coming Kingdom of God.

I see things in a fundamentally different way. I hope you know that I would never crucify anyone. The Kingdom of God is near does not mean that Jesus is among you, in my Bible. It means that it is near. It does not mean that it will come soon. It means that it is near. If i say to you that the ten dollar bill is near, where would you look?

The Kingdom of God is within., means just that. You are it here now. That is my interpretation of the Jesus narrative.

From this perspective, worldly matters matter. Support your church, help the poor, fast, reform, repent, get up and go again. We are going to fix this place up. This world is going to be a better place. I am not giving you a cookbook for the eventuality that you might ever need one, I am giving you the confidence and the self appreciation to go out and feed yourself. This Kingdom of God, despite the John quote is an earthly kingdom of people working together across generations. It is a tangible vessel of hope going forward that will shine example to others to follow.
Love one another, as I have loved you is again as real and tangible as it gets. There is no sense of spiritual disengagement with this earth, in the Jesus message, at least in my book. Thank You again for your input and perhaps our different perspectives can be brought closer. Your viewpoint can easily be extracted from the mood and writings of early first century Judaism and some of the NT writings.

Personally, I have no interest in future gain unless it is for the lives of our descendants living on this beautiful planet where my God continues to exert it's influence on us. Why go somewhere else? Do you regard life as a waiting room experience. Many devout Christian's do. I do not.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #14

Masterblaster wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:32 pm ... The emphasis of your message has been pushed over slightly ... Now there is joy in preparing for the certainty of the coming Kingdom of God.
Lets review my post and see if there has been any significant "PUSH" as you put it, regarding the importance of the kingdom message.

I have so far contributed 6 posts to this thread :

Post #5 was a general presentation of the relationship between Rome and the Jewish people (to refute your insinuations that the Romans were all psycopathic serial killers) , so it was not really about Jesus ministry directly.

Post #7 WAS ABOUT Jesus characters ( whether he was untouched by (indifferent) the murder of a friend)
In the other posts: Post #6 , Post #8 , Post #12 The hope of the KINGDOM was not only mentioned but emphasized as pivitol to WHY Jesus took the stand he did regarding political and socio-economic issues. The KINGDOM, while not specifically mentioned in Post #11 is the reason why Jesus did not authorize his followers to engage in armée struggle.
CONCLUSION: There and been no shift in my focus on the importance of the kingdom message in this thread.

HEAVEN , THE 144, 000 and ... THE KINGDOM OF GOD

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #15

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello JehovahsWitness

This is all your stuff...

WAS JESUS A MORALIST WHEN OR COMES TO WORLDLY AFFAIRS?

"If by "worldly affairs" one is refering to the political, commercial or military system then Jesus words are clear enough, his disciple were to be no part of the world. Jesus identified Satan the Devil as the unseen power behind the world system of things and urged his disciples not to become involves in worldly affairs but rather to preach the kingdom of God that would ultimately solve the world's problems."

Then followed by....

" What he did do is teach people how they could live happy lives and avoid the things that hurt themselves and others"

Is this a revised press release?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #16

God's kingdom is a government not a feeling in one's heart.
What is God's Kingdom and how will it prove a blessing for mankind?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 02#p865402

Masterblaster wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:32 pm The Kingdom of God is within., means just that. You are it here now.
Incorrect. Please see LINK below: What do Jesus' words "the kingdom is within you" mean?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 34#p865934

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

HEAVEN , THE 144, 000 and ... THE KINGDOM OF GOD

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #17

Masterblaster wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:32 pm This Kingdom of God, despite the John quote is an earthly kingdom of people working together across generations.
That is not what Jesus taught?

WILL A BETTER WORLD COME ABOUT BY MEANS OF HUMAN ENDEAVOURS?

Many people believe the "kingdom of God" is the expression of God's rule by means of good hearted individuals but this is absolutely not the case. The bible is very clear on this, God will not solve human problems through human hands. Christians (or the church) will not eventually become the force to resolve humanity's problems. Human governments will not bring about the world good originally intended for his human children free of suffering.
The ONLY hope of mankind is God's Government which will destroy all human institutions, governments, associations, companies and structures and rule over this planet earth from heaven. Jesus, leading this new government, will usher in an entirely new world order. A new system where humans can finally live in perfect happiness.
All human efforts to bring about a world of peace and security are doomed to failure.

"the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed. And this kingdom will not be passed on to any other people. It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms,+ and it alone will stand forever" - DANIEL 2:44
"For a child has been born to us, A son has been given to us; And the rulership* will rest on his shoulder. His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace. 7 To the increase of his rulership [Or “government; princely rule.”] And to peace, there will be no end, On the throne of David and on his kingdom In order to establish it firmly and to sustain it Through justice and righteousness, From now on and forever." ISAIAH 9:6, 7

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #18

Masterblaster wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:32 pm...I have no interest in future gain unless it is for the lives of our descendants living on this beautiful planet ...
WHAT IS THE FUTURE FOR THIS PLANET EARTH?

God's kingdom is a Government (see post above). Under its rulership the earth will return to the paradisaic condition originally intended. Humans will live on this our planet earth cleaned of pollution, restored to ecological balance with its breathtaking beauty. This will not just be for future generation, but all righteous people that have ever lived, thanks to the promise to raise the dead to live on earth forever.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

To learn more please go to other posts related to

THE PLANET EARTH, .GOD'S KINGDOM and ....THE GARDEN OF EDEN

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #19

Masterblaster wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:32 pm There is no sense of spiritual disengagement with this earth, in the Jesus message, at least in my book.
What do you mean by "spiritual disengagement"?

Jesus instructed us to be "no part of the world" meaning not to engage in the negative aspects of Satans corrupt system of things and remain apart from things that would denegrade our relationship with God, but he did not tell his followers to leave the planet earth or not show love for fellow humans.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #20

Masterblaster wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:32 pmWhy go somewhere else? Do you regard life as a waiting room experience. Many devout Christian's do. I do not.
Please read the POSTS above , they explain what role the earth pays in Gods purpose.

JW