Which god is God?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

SallyF
Guru

Which god is God?

Post #1

Post by SallyF »

Many, many cultures have imagined God in many, many ways. Certain cultures declare everyone else's idea of God to be false.

How do we objectively determine whose version of God is NOT false?
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Mithrae
Prodigy

Re: Which god is God?

Post #2

Post by Mithrae »

SallyF wrote: How do we objectively determine whose version of God is NOT false?
I would assume in pretty much the same way we do for everything else. Although in that vein, it's important to note that in most cases in the sciences, philosophy, politics, economics, history and so on we do not actually determine that something is true; rather, when possible we aim to progressively eliminate or improve on theories which are shown to be false or obviously inferior to other alternatives. Hence for example even before the formalization and widespread acceptance of rationalism and the scientific method, theistic theories involving a multitude of squabbling gods had lost or were losing ground in much of the world to simpler or more parsimonious ideas like pantheism and monotheism.
Last edited by Mithrae on Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

William
Savant

Post #3

Post by William »

[Replying to post 1 by SallyF]
Many, many cultures have imagined God in many, many ways. Certain cultures declare everyone else's idea of God to be false.
This is due to competition for the $ organised religion attracts. When one investigates the imaged God [mythologies] of separate cultures, one sees many similarities which - i think - point to one God with may 'faces/costumes'.

That one God doesn't appear to be interested in your $.
By first providing a definition of a God which is objectively understood to NOT be false.

:study:

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by ttruscott »

SallyF wrote: Many, many cultures have imagined God in many, many ways. Certain cultures declare everyone else's idea of God to be false.

There is no objective determination unless GOD gives you one...and then it will be classed as a subjective determination.

Christians believe on faith, that is, an unproven hope nd not by sight or objective proof. We want what is promised so much we hold our need for proof in abeyance for the time being...trusting HIM to fulfill HIS claims to us and this world.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

SallyF wrote: Many, many cultures have imagined God in many, many ways. Certain cultures declare everyone else's idea of God to be false.

The magic of gods is that they can't be verified in any way. This gives their followers the opportunity to claim absolutely anything they want about their chosen god/gods. Their ability to believe the god/gods they create actual exist is astounding.

Of course belief is required for god/gods to function as designed so we shouldn't be too surprised. They provide comfort by offering solutions to the existential realities that can cause great fear. It's easier to simply face that fear directly and realize that there is no ultimate solution. Some would rather create god/gods and then argue that their creation is the real one/s.

Tcg

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by SallyF]

JEHOVAH (YHWH), the God of the bible is the Creator of the universe and The ONLY True and living God. All others that make such claims are false gods or figments of human imagination.

1 CORINTHIANS 8: 4-5

"For even though there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many gods and many lords, there is actually to us one God, the Father, from whom all things are and we for him " - NWT
JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

RELATED POSTS

To learn more, please go to other posts related to

THE DIVINE NAME , LORD and ...GOD
NOTE All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of Jehovah's Witnesses
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

Please explain, how do you know people have imagined gods?

In ancient times some people have kept for example golden calf as their god. I have no reason to doubt it existed. Even if it would still exist, I wouldn’t keep it as my God. Would you keep golden calf as your god? Why? One can be found on the Wall Street.

I believe it is possible that all alleged gods have existed. For me the existence is not meaningful. More important is the question, what would one keep as his god. I want to keep Bible God as my God, because he is the best, most wise, good and loving and has good message.

quality
Student

Post #8

Post by quality »

[Replying to SallyF]

First of all the culture does believe there are many Gods. However the Bible states there is only One God: 1 Timothy 2:5. Now that talks about only one mediator between Man and God which is Jesus Christ, who came here as God in the flesh per John 1:14. Also referred to as the Word. If you read the second part of John 1:1, it says" and the Word was God."

In 1 John 1:4 it says " Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God (notice it doesn't say God's), but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God"( once again in the singular). John 14:6 and Act 4:12 are other examples of only one true Biblical God. I Corinthians 2:14 states: The person without the Spirit does not accept the things from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit."

Bottom line is unless you are "Born Again" John 3:3, you cannot discern the things from God as stated above. A man may be able to change or convince another man's mind, but he cannot change his heart.

So understand that this debate is not based on my opinion or secular reasoning. It is based on the Word of God. 1 Corinthians 1:20: "Has God not made foolish the wisdom of the world?"

marco
Savant

Post #9

Post by marco »

1213 wrote:

Please explain, how do you know people have imagined gods?

Virgil made Juno a jealous goddess; Homer had Aphrodite assisting Paris. So people imagined the activities of gods.
1213 wrote:
More important is the question, what would one keep as his god. I want to keep Bible God as my God, because he is the best, most wise, good and loving and has good message.
So God is a human choice, like taking vanilla instead of strawberry ice cream. How does one choose which God to honour or which religion to settle for? Yahweh is a human fabrication. He may have been made wise but he's rather deficient in goodness, love and mercy.

William
Savant

Post #10

Post by William »

[Replying to post 9 by marco]
How does one choose which God to honour or which religion to settle for?
Like attracts like.

The imagery acts as a kind of mirror - people choose what image will take the position of GOD in their lives. This may well equate to making the decision based upon how the individual would likely do things - 'if s/he were 'GOD'.'