What's God made of?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
JoeyKnothead
Under Probation
Posts: 18676
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:59 am
Location: Here
Has thanked: 1638 times
Been thanked: 1120 times

What's God made of?

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Late edit to clean quotes...

From Post 182 here:
EarthSciemceGuy wrote: ...
God is not made of matter...
...
For debate:

What's God made of?
Last edited by JoeyKnothead on Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Discovery is finding things that exist.
Invention is using things discovered.

Create that path and engineer a metamorphosis.

- William

nobspeople
Prodigy
Posts: 3191
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:32 am
Has thanked: 1510 times
Been thanked: 817 times

Re: What's God made of?

Post #181

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:21 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:50 am
But, for you, so many of your religious beliefs can't be shown to be TRUTH(tm).
I believe they can otherwise I would not hold to them. Feel free to disagree.





JW



PLEASE NOTE I make no claims here, I am simply expressing what I believe based on the bible. Please take all sentences to be preceeded by the premise "I believe ..."
Would you be inclined to provide proof here?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

User avatar
JoeyKnothead
Under Probation
Posts: 18676
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:59 am
Location: Here
Has thanked: 1638 times
Been thanked: 1120 times

Re: What's God made of?

Post #182

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:39 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:55 am
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:14 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:25 pm Late edit to clean quotes...

From Post 182 here:
EarthSciemceGuy wrote: ...
God is not made of matter...
...
For debate:

What's God made of?
You assume we can apply reductionism to everything, like I told you in other threads, assumptions are never far away even for the atheist!
The OP seeks to confirm from what's God made.

There's no requirement for reductionism, if that ain't the way to go.

As I'm telling you in this thread, that's an assumption on your part.
God is made from God, you know, like the universe exists because the universe exists and something can pop into existence from nothing.

:lol:
As those are claims I've not made, I fail to see how they offer some means to confirm from what is God made.

Unless you're saying God's made from pent up rage.
Discovery is finding things that exist.
Invention is using things discovered.

Create that path and engineer a metamorphosis.

- William

User avatar
JoeyKnothead
Under Probation
Posts: 18676
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:59 am
Location: Here
Has thanked: 1638 times
Been thanked: 1120 times

Re: What's God made of?

Post #183

Post by JoeyKnothead »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:16 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:26 am
otseng wrote: There is no rule that says anyone has to prove anything. If someone insists you must prove something, challenge them where is it a requirement on the forum that something needs to be proved.
There's also no rule against someone just up and proving something, whether or not asked to do so, within any section of this site.
Let me rephrase to avoid causing any offense: Thank you so such for sharing that point, yes I am aware of that, but REMINDERS are always valuable and I will keep your point in mind.

Is there anything else you would like to add? If not, have a most excellent day,
Just that we see so many theists allude to TRUTH(tm), but in the light of debate, they can only fall back to their unconformable beliefs.
Discovery is finding things that exist.
Invention is using things discovered.

Create that path and engineer a metamorphosis.

- William

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 18071
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 431 times
Been thanked: 656 times
Contact:

Re: What's God made of?

Post #184

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:03 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:21 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:50 am
But, for you, so many of your religious beliefs can't be shown to be TRUTH(tm).
I believe they can otherwise I would not hold to them. Feel free to disagree.





JW



PLEASE NOTE I make no claims here, I am simply expressing what I believe based on the bible. Please take all sentences to be preceeded by the premise "I believe ..."
Would you be inclined to provide proof here?


You would like me to present argumentation (proof*) of my beliefs ? What specifically would you like me to present argumentation about?



*PROOF
evidence or argument establishing a fact or the truth of a statement.


JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

nobspeople
Prodigy
Posts: 3191
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:32 am
Has thanked: 1510 times
Been thanked: 817 times

Re: What's God made of?

Post #185

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:55 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:03 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:21 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:50 am
But, for you, so many of your religious beliefs can't be shown to be TRUTH(tm).
I believe they can otherwise I would not hold to them. Feel free to disagree.
JW
PLEASE NOTE I make no claims here, I am simply expressing what I believe based on the bible. Please take all sentences to be preceeded by the premise "I believe ..."
Would you be inclined to provide proof here?


You would like me to present argumentation (proof*) of my beliefs ? What specifically would you like me to present argumentation about?
*PROOF
evidence or argument establishing a fact or the truth of a statement.
JW
When said (paraphrased) 'your religious beliefs can't be shown to be true', you said "I believe they can otherwise I would not hold to them."
I simply asked you to provide the proof of which you speak, as you said it's possible to do so.
What proof you wish to provide is, of course, up to you.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 18071
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 431 times
Been thanked: 656 times
Contact:

Re: What's God made of?

Post #186

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:08 pm
When said (paraphrased) 'your religious beliefs can't be shown to be true', you said "I believe they can otherwise I would not hold to them."
I simply asked you to provide the proof of which you speak, as you said it's possible to do so.
What proof you wish to provide is, of course, up to you.
I have hundreds of religious beliefs, which ones would you like proof (proof as in argumentation) for, and who or what provides the standards by which we can establish whether those beliefs are true or not. For me, religious truth are established by measiring it against the bible. If you agree and would like biblical argumentation (proof) about something I believe, feel free to ask.

I will certainly give your request the consideration it deserves.





JW



RELATED POSTS

Is it unscriptural to speak of "having" the truth (scroll down)?
viewtopic.php?p=1044948#p1044948

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

TRUTH, ORGANISATIONAL INFALLIBILITY and ...THE BIBLE
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

User avatar
Goat
Site Supporter
Posts: 24863
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:09 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: What's God made of?

Post #187

Post by Goat »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:39 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:55 am
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:14 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:25 pm Late edit to clean quotes...

From Post 182 here:
EarthSciemceGuy wrote: ...
God is not made of matter...
...
For debate:

What's God made of?
You assume we can apply reductionism to everything, like I told you in other threads, assumptions are never far away even for the atheist!
The OP seeks to confirm from what's God made.

There's no requirement for reductionism, if that ain't the way to go.

As I'm telling you in this thread, that's an assumption on your part.
God is made from God, you know, like the universe exists because the universe exists and something can pop into existence from nothing.

:lol:
The statement 'God is made from God' is redundant, and not meaningful in any way.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

nobspeople
Prodigy
Posts: 3191
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:32 am
Has thanked: 1510 times
Been thanked: 817 times

Re: What's God made of?

Post #188

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:24 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:08 pm
When said (paraphrased) 'your religious beliefs can't be shown to be true', you said "I believe they can otherwise I would not hold to them."
I simply asked you to provide the proof of which you speak, as you said it's possible to do so.
What proof you wish to provide is, of course, up to you.
I have hundreds of religious beliefs, which ones would you like proof (proof as in argumentation) for, and who or what provides the standards by which we can establish whether those beliefs are true or not. For me, religious truth are established by measiring it against the bible. If you agree and would like biblical argumentation (proof) about something I believe, feel free to ask.

I will certainly give your request the consideration it deserves.





JW



RELATED POSTS

Is it unscriptural to speak of "having" the truth (scroll down)?
viewtopic.php?p=1044948#p1044948

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

TRUTH, ORGANISATIONAL INFALLIBILITY and ...THE BIBLE
Ugh
Last chance here with me
Pick one and prove it to be true
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 18071
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 431 times
Been thanked: 656 times
Contact:

Re: What's God made of?

Post #189

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:37 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:24 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:08 pm
When said (paraphrased) 'your religious beliefs can't be shown to be true', you said "I believe they can otherwise I would not hold to them."
I simply asked you to provide the proof of which you speak, as you said it's possible to do so.
What proof you wish to provide is, of course, up to you.
I have hundreds of religious beliefs, which ones would you like proof (proof as in argumentation) for, and who or what provides the standards by which we can establish whether those beliefs are true or not. For me, religious truth are established by measiring it against the bible. If you agree and would like biblical argumentation (proof) about something I believe, feel free to ask.

I will certainly give your request the consideration it deserves.





JW



RELATED POSTS

Is it unscriptural to speak of "having" the truth (scroll down)?
viewtopic.php?p=1044948#p1044948

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

TRUTH, ORGANISATIONAL INFALLIBILITY and ...THE BIBLE
Ugh
Last chance here with me
Pick one and prove it to be true

I believe Genesis is the first book currently listed the Torah and accept that book as part of the bible canon.

Evidence
Image
Source: https://www.britannica.com/topic/biblic ... d-versions

There are millions of bibles available and Genesis is sytematically listed as the first of the books in the Torah.




JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

User avatar
Sherlock Holmes
Under Suspension
Posts: 1559
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:42 am
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 81 times

Re: What's God made of?

Post #190

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:55 am
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:14 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:25 pm Late edit to clean quotes...

From Post 182 here:
EarthSciemceGuy wrote: ...
God is not made of matter...
...
For debate:

What's God made of?
You assume we can apply reductionism to everything, like I told you in other threads, assumptions are never far away even for the atheist!
The OP seeks to confirm from what's God made.

There's no requirement for reductionism, if that ain't the way to go.

As I'm telling you in this thread, that's an assumption on your part.
You are quite incorrect.

The question "what is X made of" is logically equivalent to "what constituent parts comprise X" and that is most certainly a question which presupposes a reductionist answer.

Reductionism:

Ontological reductionism: a belief that the whole of reality consists of a minimal number of parts.
Methodological reductionism: the scientific attempt to provide an explanation in terms of ever-smaller entities.
Theory reductionism: the suggestion that a newer theory does not replace or absorb an older one, but reduces it to more basic terms. Theory reduction itself is divisible into three parts: translation, derivation, and explanation.[4]
When one has eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Post Reply